• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sig vs Sig

stevew

If you are looking for the Navy SEAL version of the P226 its not the same as the Navy Version, the Navy SEALs use the P226 Tactical, which has the threaded barrel whereas the Navy version has the phosphated internals. I'm with A4 on the stainless, looks pimped out, but if you insist on stainless then maybe try a Tu-tone.

BTW I have a P226 Tactical and I love it.

Also, re: the Equinox, it looks much better in pictures then in person, although the wood grips look really cool they are VERY wide and uncomfortable, I was barely able to get a grip all the way around them and this is coming from someone who feels good holding the MK23

B

Blutonski816

mmmm...
homer-pistol-whip-c8075_sml.JPG

...pistol whip...

In all seriousness, I'd suggest going w/ squeeze's Advice and gettinga Certifide Pre-owned Sig if you're really on a budget...
but between the two you're thinking of, I'd go with the SEAL model for it's "ooh-Ahh" and collectability Factor..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
thanks for the heads up, bbell. would anyone recommend against the non-NSW Navy version (i.e. the non-limited edition)?
I would not pay extra for a limited run production gun unless it was something I really, really wanted. After Gulf 1, Beretta marketed a "Gulf War" 92 FS model. Pure marketing and at a slight $$$ premium over the other Model 92's without the little "Gulf name" on it. Limited production runs (and remember --- it IS a PRODUCTION gun) are usually a waste of money and you will usually NOT get your $$$ back in appreciation. I'm not talkin' USGI "collectable" pieces ... they appreciate like real estate and diamonds. We're talkin' modern production guns.

The NSW model is a marketing gimick as someone else pointed out. Real SEALs don't use limited production, $$$ marked up guns. Not worth your money for a first purchase either, in my opinion. I've been buying, selling, and appraising guns --- collectable ones --- for a long time.

Suggestion: since this IS your FIRST handgun --- I would suggest not breaking the bank for it. Learn about what you like and don't like in a pistol. Buy something basic ... spend $$$ basic .... like a SIG 226?? It's a good place to start, in fact, as the SIG 226 is an above average pistol, so you are ahead of the game in that respect.

Go look on Auction Arms for prices, for example. There are some SIG factory refurbished 226's in the $500 range at auction and NIB models -- brand new, basic P226's in 9mm Parabellum --- in the $600 range. There is even one, at basic auction, NIB for under $400 as we "speak". However, it will probably go higher ... :)

That's it ... that's all from me ... it's your $$$ and your decision.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I say go for a no frills sig p226. I personally don't like the look of a stainless pistol, but they do clean up really easy. You can get a refurbished p226 from CDNN investments in the $360-$400 range. Best bang for the buck (pun intended). Other than that if you want a brand new one go to a dealer that sells a whole lot of sigs. The mark up on sigs is outrageous, so you may be able to talk them down quite a bit. For example, we got a batch of the then new sig 1911's for about 700 a piece, and we were selling them for $1395. We were getting p226's for around $400 even.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Jack Bauer used a stainless Sig at one point....my stainless 229 looks awesome.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
Yeah ... but he got rid of it for an H&K. Airline pilot gun ... :)

Yeah, well the Sig is still prettier;)

BTW, took my 229 out for a spin at a friend's farm today. Hollow Points + Cantelope= good times. The exit wounds were gigantic!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
xmid said:
I say .....from CDNN investments in the $360-$400 range. Best bang for the buck ....
I will second that. CDNN -- xmid "reminded" me of this online dealer (Texas) and I'm glad he did. These guys are first rate. I just purchased two pieces from them --- you can't beat their service and usually you can't beat their prices or selections.

If they're "sold out" of something???

I told my salesman to watch for an item. He did -- and called me back @ 2 weeks later with just what I had requested. Sometimes their pieces come with lots of "extras" -- a package deal. They made a slight "addition" to one of my two purchases --- would have cost $150 if ordered --- it cost me ... zero.

Check them out ... download their online catalog, call 'em and go from there ... http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

GMan1976

Banned
thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I was looking at the CDNN catalogue. If I were to buy a used Sig, what condition rating should i get at a minimum? good? very good? excellent? what do these mean? also, what does "grade 1" mean?

thanks again!

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
To paraphrase the Notorious B.I.G.: "All I tote is stainless." :D

That said, I also own a Kimber Warrior in black KimPro finish, but I really love stainless guns.

For the price though, and since you're going with SIG, I would probably recommend their Nitron finish, and I second going with a barebones. I think it's silly to pay extra for an anchor that's set into the side of the slide.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GMan1976 said:
thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I was looking at the CDNN catalogue. If I were to buy a used Sig, what condition rating should i get at a minimum? good? very good? excellent? what do these mean? also, what does "grade 1" mean?

thanks again!
Get as much as you can afford ... but not more than you need. I think you will probably be satisfied with what you get. A cop-out answer?? Of course. It's part of the "maturing" process for you .... :)

Old NFO

None
bbell said:
I have the NSW Sig P226 and highly recommend it. Some things to consider: the NSW model is a limited edition of 2000 and therefore a future collector’s item, the slide on the NSW model is stainless, the whole gun is coated with a special phosphate finish that is not available on any other model of Sig.
I hate to tell you, but a run of 2000 is not really either limited or collectable. Runs of <500, unfired, NIB in 20 years... Maybe a collectable...
Fox example, S&W Texas Ranger Commemorative, SERNO within the first 50, unfired with knife and presentation box, and shipping boxes, $1100 today against $275 in the 70's. Any later SERNO, maybe $500. I bought one for $425, unfired, with everything and a SERNO of 321.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Old NFO said:
I hate to tell you, but a run of 2000 is not really either limited or collectable. Runs of <500, unfired, NIB in 20 years... Maybe a collectable...
Fox example, S&W Texas Ranger Commemorative, SERNO within the first 50, unfired with knife and presentation box, and shipping boxes, $1100 today against $275 in the 70's. Any later SERNO, maybe $500. I bought one for $425, unfired, with everything and a SERNO of 321.

The only reason you should be buying a "Limited Production" gun is because you like the way it looks, or it holds some sort of sentimental value to you. They are NOT a very good investment firearm. If you had bought and registered an M-16 for instance in the '70s it would have cost you around $400, today a NIB registered M-16 goes for between $15-20k. M-1's could be had for around $100 and today a mint GI M-1 will run from $1200 to over $2k. The limited production Army, Navy, and Marine corps Beretta's are going for approximately the same price today as they were 5 years ago. So "LPs" can be hit or miss. So if you want a "Limited Production" gun make sure you are buying it because YOU like it, not because you think it will be a good investment.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
today a mint GI M-1 will run from $1200 to over $2k.

You forgot a zero there. Unissued NIB Garands auction well over $10k.

But on topic... Limited Edition guns are a waste of money, often tacky, and the same thing can be had for less w/o the stupid engraving.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You are right, I meant matching numbers M-1's that had seen some use.