• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Is there any “flight controls” at the remote pilot station of the MQ-8?
Not really because it's not an RPV. The AVO (pilot) tells the robot helo where to go and the robot brain decides the specifics of how to get there. so the AVO may say to go from present position to 15mi to the NE and to climb from 5k to 10k and the robot will decide rate of turn and climb.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I’m kinda lost due to the 10000th change in CONOPS for LCS and Firescout.
There are four flavors of LCS, each divided into a Division, all of which fall under the LCS Squadron. Test Division, SUW Division, MCM, and ASW, in that order as the ships roll out. Currently Test and SUW Divisions are the only two with all of their ships. MCM has half of their ships but will have all of them by the end of 2020.

SUW and MCM are affiliated with HSC. HSC will take the SUW and MCM flavors of MQ-8 with them. ASW LCS will only have Romeo. I wish I could discuss MQ-8's future in more detail, but it's currently high-side. ?‍♂️

LCS AVDET is 4 aviators for a 60+MQ-8.
Actually 5 these days. At least for HSC. Remains to be seen what HSM will want to do.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Not really because it's not an RPV. The AVO (pilot) tells the robot helo where to go and the robot brain decides the specifics of how to get there. so the AVO may say to go from present position to 15mi to the NE and to climb from 5k to 10k and the robot will decide rate of turn and climb.
Pretty much the same in the P-8...

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have a feeling that won't survive actual operations, especially hearing they upped it to 5, like RedFive said.
That was always the suspicion. To sum up at least a decade of arguments, NAE has always been unhappy with the size of the AVDET.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That was always the suspicion. To sum up at least a decade of arguments, NAE has always been unhappy with the size of the AVDET.

I'm curious of if the next-gen RAST system will require a LSO, as well, for Romeo. If not for technical reasons then for admin (NWP) reasons. I could see there being value. That would kill the 5-man det plan, long term, as everyone would run out of crew day at the same time.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I have a feeling that won't survive actual operations, especially hearing they upped it to 5, like RedFive said.
They've only got 98 racks, 70 of which are dedicated to crew. It's one of the biggest limitations of the ship. A connex box of extra racks is not only criminally expensive, but they are (somehow) in extremely short supply. I believe they're made by some guy in East County. I'm willing to bet I've seen him driving around in his Ferrari at some point.

I'm curious of if the next-gen RAST system will require a LSO, as well, for Romeo. If not for technical reasons then for admin (NWP) reasons. I could see there being value. That would kill the 5-man det plan, long term, as everyone would run out of crew day at the same time.
What next-gen RAST system....? That's not a thing on LCS, hence MANTIS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wasn't talking about LCS, I was talking about whatever this next FF thing will be. I get the crew limits of LCS, and thus the reduced aircrew.

Pags

N/A
pilot
One of the limitations of LCS that everyone always struggles with is the crew size and crew day especially when compared with older Det models. The AVDET size limits the amount of flying and maintenance that can be done but the number of launch and recovery windows are also limited by the ship's company's crew day and other duties.

I'd be really surprised if FFG(X) goes with a minimally manned model because it's been such a mess on LCS. The fact that LCSs now have plussed up core crews as a standard is a good indicator that the Navy has moved on from minimal Manning.

No clue if the next gen RAST on FFG(X) will need an LSO. There was some back and forth between PMA-266/299/AIR-1.2 and NAVSEA about the next RAST when I was at 266 but I wasn't paying too much attention to it to remember what it's requirements were.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Are you talking about the cable and pulley thing the Europeans use? Yeahhh, not on LCS. Maybe FFGX.