• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sorry, was being a bit tongue in cheek - I mean "what could have been" for HSC. Big multi mission helo - ironically this pic was posted today by CNO on his FB page (aircraft departing CVN),
Maybe if you live in Happy Unicorn World and time (this aircraft didn't exist when 60R/S were being developed) didn't apply.

Also, would be curious as to what you see as the advantages of the CH-148 are over the various H-60 models?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Maybe if you live in Happy Unicorn World and time (this aircraft didn't exist when 60R/S were being developed) didn't apply.

Also, would be curious as to what you see as the advantages of the CH-148 are over the various H-60 models?
Well you sure can't argue with just a larger aircraft - more fuel, cabin space. It seems the Canadiens have a dedicated TACCO station in addition to a sensor operator and they have everything palletized as far as mission equipment. Throw an AAR refueling boom on there and even more capability opens up. Plus they put solid flotation capabilities on that bird - I guess that makes sense given the the environment they operate in. I just think its a cool aircraft. And it seems to work for them. I am not a requirements guy nor do I play one on TV :) I leave that to @Jim123

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well you sure can't argue with just a larger aircraft - more fuel, cabin space.

Great, so where do we put it now? It won't fit on a small boy and takes up more space on the carrier.

Plus they put solid flotation capabilities on that bird

The -60 had that, but it was removed because it wasn't really used and cost a to maintain.

I'm with Pags. For the mission-set required, this doesn't seem to answer any of them. It's a sweet bird though. I had a CO that flew them for GOM for his day job and he liked them. Climbing around inside of one of his he was ferrying, I was impressed.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well you sure can't argue with just a larger aircraft - more fuel, cabin space. It seems the Canadiens have a dedicated TACCO station in addition to a sensor operator and they have everything palletized as far as mission equipment. Throw an AAR refueling boom on there and even more capability opens up. Plus they put solid flotation capabilities on that bird - I guess that makes sense given the the environment they operate in. I just think its a cool aircraft. And it seems to work for them. I am not a requirements guy nor do I play one on TV :) I leave that to @Jim123
So this is the helo Chuck wants as opposed to the one that would work for the USN? Thats ok but don't pose it as a solution that somehow the USN missed out on despite the tyranny of the space time continuum.

Size: sure does matter if you want it to fit in the same footprint as a 60.
TACCO: Not sure it matters since the USN HS/HSL/HSM community has managed with three people for ages.
Palletized: yep, our stuff is palletized too.
AAR: now you're just making shit up. The airplane you referenced doesn't have that capability. Plus what good would that do the HSM community?
Floats: as gatordev said, we had that and said no thanks.
SUW: Nope, not a thing on the 148.
Development/procurement: total nightmare for the Canucks. They probably should have just bought 60Rs.

Cool: yes, it's a very nice helicopter. I'll give you that.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
... the 148.
Development/procurement: total nightmare for the Canucks. They probably should have just bought 60Rs.
Or just stuck with the plan on the original AW101/EH-101 back in the 1990s. The cancelation penalties came out to almost half the value of the contract.

(Pretty sure the "eh" was just a hilarious coincidence.)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Being able to stand up.
While that would certainly be nice to have I'd think not having to do a bunch of ship alts to accommodate a taller helo would trump that.

You have to remember that the 60R started out as essentially a mid life upgrade to the 60B. The original plan was to mod 60Bs into 60Rs. Things didn't work out and the 60Rs ended up as new builds after a bunch of delays that resulted in the 60Bs getting too many hours to be worth an upgrade. At some point in this nonsense the USN bought the 60S on a "steal" and used the existing cockpit from the 60R for commonality. Although people were flying the 60S sooner in the fleet than the 60R, the reason the 60R is earlier in the alphabet is because it's an older program.

Also, the reason the S-92 seems like a nicer 60 is because it evolved from the H-60.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They're almost all of the way through the alphabet with the H-60 variants, I think the H-60W is the latest. Once they use up X, Y, and Z will we have to call the next one xH-60bis Superhawk... or Hawk II?

:p

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TACCO: Not sure it matters since the USN HS/HSL/HSM community has managed with three people for ages.

Small point of order... HS guys can correct me here, but I believe they had a 4th crewman for ASW. With a more modern SYSCONFIG than the Bravo, I always wondered how much of that was truly workload and how much of it was because of the smaller buoy magazine the Fox had.

Pags

N/A
pilot
They're almost all of the way through the alphabet with the H-60 variants, I think the H-60W is the latest. Once they use up X, Y, and Z will we have to call the next one xH-60bis Superhawk... or Hawk II?

:p
Maybe it's like hurricanes, we just go to the greek alphabet?