• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hip (nickname "Eight", just like in a card gamble) is running on the nose wheel. Halo (though everyone here calls it "Cow") oppositely, from the main gears. USAF 60 Ghetto seems to run on a tail wheel. What about Seahawk? There's some beauty in a running takeoff of a helicopter, not like FW...
The typical order of contact points for a Seahawk for landing are tail wheel, left, right. For takeoff, hover or running, it's the opposite order.

I also would use the tail wheel as a way to spot the deck on a small boy. Technique only.

What @Gatordev said. With that said, in the S, there is a type of landing called "aerodynamic braking," whereby you land on the tailwheel and keep the nose position relatively high to direct thrust aft in order to slow down quicker. Never used it operationally, but as I said, I have used running landing and takeoffs in both training and operationally many times.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Or it was a boat being a boat and no one can remember where the switch is. Despite the fact that it's the same switch that gets turned on. Every. God. Damn. Night.
It's amazing explaining this to someone who hasn't personally experienced it. Two weeks into deployment or two weeks from the end of deployment, just... amazing.

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
It's amazing explaining this to someone who hasn't personally experienced it. Two weeks into deployment or two weeks from the end of deployment, just... amazing.
Most powerful Navy in the world... ?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I had an XO explain it like this...when you pull into port, it's like pressing CTL-ALT-Delete. Everything is reset. It doesn't matter if you're on month 5 of deployment, everything is reset and no one knows how to do what they've done since the last port visit. It's truly mind-boggling, and yet, completely and frustratingly normal.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had an XO explain it like this...when you pull into port, it's like pressing CTL-ALT-Delete. Everything is reset. It doesn't matter if you're on month 5 of deployment, everything is reset and no one knows how to do what they've done since the last port visit. It's truly mind-boggling, and yet, completely and frustratingly normal.
It would take weeks to get the radios right in tower after a port call.

Port call or not, the amount of time it took to darken ship sometimes was enough to drive you crazy. There was a always a light in the port catwalk that took lots of encouragement for the assigned WC to turn off. Eventually the ABs just learned where the switch was. Or Boss and I staring at the mast with the phone in one hand saying "no, you just turned that one back on. Turn it off. And the other one. No, not that one. The one for the lights on the end of the yards." Sometimes it involved a frustrated Mini walking up to the bridge to remind the OOD of where the switches all were and which position was ON and which was OFF.

BigRed389

None
Pretty much the same for Small Boys. But we had the added fun of the random TACAN fire. Problem? Not really when you have HAWKLINK. Oh, that's been broken all deployment, too. Oh well, you should be good, right?

Aussies response to question if their ship had TACAN:

“No our pilots know how to navigate so we don’t need TACAN.” :D
They don’t have Hawk yet either.

Not an informed opinion, just thought it was funny.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
No our pilots know how to navigate so we don’t need TACAN.” :D
They don’t have Hawk yet either.

Old Brits humor. Just like it was once on a Type 23 frigate: "Do you train your OOD and JOOW to communicate to a bridge of a vessel you are to pass by in narrows? - No, they both have read COLREGs".

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You got screwed by people not willing to intrepet 3710 correctly. "Passengers" are people on point-to-point flights, not serving as aircrew.
If you've got swims, and you're taking off from where you landed, you're not pax.

Has 3710 updated lately? It’s been awhile, but I thought I remembered night overwater pax transfers that landed on a boat were verboten, regardless of where the flight originated. I also thought all swims weren’t equal, aka a jet guy needs helo dunker training, to be considered a full crew member.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Has 3710 updated lately? It’s been awhile, but I thought I remembered night overwater pax transfers that landed on a boat were verboten, regardless of where the flight originated. I also thought all swims weren’t equal, aka a jet guy needs helo dunker training, to be considered a full crew member.
I worked with an HM1 who was stationed at the helo dunker for three years. It sounded like they had plenty of spare time to dunk more people. Wouldn’t be hard to push through all NA/NFO’s at some point regardless of what airframe they end up flying - especially if academy mids did it on a random weekend before commissioning. Obviously this ignores the cost of any (?) extra wear n tear that would cause to the dunker machine, extra chances of accidents/injuries, etc

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the dunker training for helo guys different? Our standard swim phys includes multiple dunker rides, with and without the blackout goggles.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Is the dunker training for helo guys different? Our standard swim phys includes multiple dunker rides, with and without the blackout goggles.

Helo water survival was the inversion chair from hell and the barrel of fun (dunker). Not sure what the other platforms do.

I can’t remember the NASTP code for helo water survival but I do remember the NATOPS guys checking records to see if visiting aircrew had said code. Otherwise they were treated as a pax if taken overwater at night.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There's more than just the dunker ride (the giant barrel with those eight seats inside... or was it ten?), there's some more helo guy-specific stuff- in particular a torture chair carnival ride underwater upside down miniature obstacle course thing (honestly, that's the best way to describe it) that they put over in the shallow end of the pool. You get flipped in that seven ways from Sunday and each time the "door" uses a new Fisher-Price junior mechanic puzzle as the unlocking mechanism.

Those popular family outing/office party "escape rooms" ain't shit...

edit: it's called a "SWET chair," shallow water egress trainer

I will say if you get flustered by being upside down and half tangled in something while you're underwater then that chair certainly acclimates you to that environment.

Helo guys don't necessarily get the full on ejection seat, parachute drag, etc. stuff unless your billet requires it (i.e VT instructor). You can always ask if you're a straight helo guy on helo flying orders, they'll say either yes or no, right?

Last edited: