• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True, but then again the 60S design made sense in that it wasn't meant to live onboard CRUDES, just needed to land to drop off the pony. I also think that the Kidd and Sprucans were on their way out when 60S was fielded. I never landed on either. Ticos were a tight fit but you just had to take your time, trust in your AWs, and use the force. I heard of people putting tailwheels in the nets but never personally flew with anyone who did it.

Absolutely, but the original question was why was the Seahawk different from the Blackhawk (...and then why the Sierra was back again). The Sierra config reasoning (or acceptance) was already covered, but the actual reason why anyone noticed was because of 25+ years of Seahawks doing Seahawk things in that config. I was just shedding light on why the Seahawk was different.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I thought he might be looking for something different.
What I meant was, if you look at the type ratings on the FAA website, it'll say things like:
A/A-320
A/B-737
C/BV-107

Just curious what the nomenclature is for the leading letter.
The FFG-7 flight deck was certainly longer by several feet.
Spent quite a bit of time on FFG 41....had to do a running landing because of an engine EP. Good times, Shaggy!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The typical order of contact points for a Seahawk for landing are tail wheel, left, right. For takeoff, hover or running, it's the opposite order.

I also would use the tail wheel as a way to spot the deck on a small boy. Technique only.

Pags

N/A
pilot
BTW, this is the argument against the tailhook people's opinion that there's nothing in this world that resembles the arresting landing on a carrier;)

Boat shows up in the last 30sec or so. No meatball, no autothrottles, no hud. There's a guy in the back helping you out in lieu of an LSO. Also, there's a wall in front of you at the end but you're hovering. Still requires precision, focus, and teamwork.

taxi1

pilot
I had put together the wing's E2-controlled EMCON recovery procedures on cruise, and spent a couple of days on board an Aegis to teach it to their controllers. Got a day hop with the helo det while there, and wanted to go at night to see a night recovery, but they said no pax on night flights. I was bummed. Looks challenging!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I had put together the wing's E2-controlled EMCON recovery procedures on cruise, and spent a couple of days on board an Aegis to teach it to their controllers. Got a day hop with the helo det while there, and wanted to go at night to see a night recovery, but they said no pax on night flights. I was bummed. Looks challenging!
You got screwed by people not willing to intrepet 3710 correctly. "Passengers" are people on point-to-point flights, not serving as aircrew.
If you've got swims, and you're taking off from where you landed, you're not pax.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Boat shows up in the last 30sec or so. No meatball, no autothrottles, no hud.

I guess the HCO wanted to make it harder and didn't have the line-ups on. Or maybe it was just a FFG and they were broken.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I know nothing of sub ops but is there really a corollary?
My naval college classmate who surfaced Typhoon-class on the North Pole once said there was a week-long search for a place where the ice was thin enough that 50.000-tons behemoth could penetrate it. And sure enough, they met the very angry polar bears there who were like WTF, this black seal is big enough to fed us for long but hard enough to bite it out. Those bears are not Russians, they are just animals;-)