• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
BOOM! Try that in your H-60! F*ck crosswind limits. You are welcome!

71KAzj.gif

What kind of sorcery is this? That's one way to get the ice cream over to us tin can sailors quickly.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I got wind of the pending reduction of HSC - heard of across the board reduction in squadrons and mission areas to pre Master Helo Plan days.

Is the sea change as drastic as it sounds? Was HSC simply a funding and hardware experiment for the history books and Proceedings Article retrospectives?

HSM is where all the love is now?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. They do have a job to do, does the Navy plan on passing that off to HSM or contractor work? Are they heading back toward the old HS, HC model?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
The short of it is:

• HSC becomes entirely expeditionary
  • CVN det looks like LHA/LHD det (3 birds)
  • 4× CVW squadrons on each coast collapse into 2x Exped squadrons

I haven't heard the answers yet as to:
  • what are you doing with all those bubbas slated for CVW squadron command?
  • how does plane guard change now that you can't keep 3 up birds (PG, A30, BU) through a whole cruise? (HSM isn't manned with enough AWs to help)
  • are HSC sets still on the hook for PR/SOF ULT?

Short

None
The short of it is:

• HSC becomes entirely expeditionary
  • CVN det looks like LHA/LHD det (3 birds)
  • 4× CVW squadrons on each coast collapse into 2x Exped squadrons
I haven't heard the answers yet as to:
  • what are you doing with all those bubbas slated for CVW squadron command?
  • how does plane guard change now that you can't keep 3 up birds (PG, A30, BU) through a whole cruise? (HSM isn't manned with enough AWs to help)
  • are HSC sets still on the hook for PR/SOF ULT?

It always seemed a minor miracle when HSC could keep two up helos with a full det, so maybe no change?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
HS is dead. Long live HS.
I know all of military aviation (not just Navy) went to lots of extra letters to define their communities and Hxx was part of that, but I still think we should have merged HS and HS "light" into HS with S for sea control or something else to mean jack of all trades (but master of none). Then HC with C for combat support (which mostly means slinging trash but also practicing other.... supporting things).

And everybody would still do SAR because naval helicopters always have to be able to do SAR.

Oh well.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
And everybody would still do SAR because naval helicopters always have to be able to do SAR.
Dumb question: If a Romeo has to do SAR, how much space is in the back to bring someone onboard and perform basic medical attention, vs. gear and seats that are in the way? (notwithstanding the medical training level of the aircrew who would be doing it)