• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I guess the HSC CV det and the HSM hq det will share a ready room in the AWF?

Also, I can't imagine the M197 surviving this transition.
M197 was a niche solution for a niche problem. Not sure how relevant it will be in a blue water fight. I'm sure some folks could dream up a reason to keep it because it's a fun toy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's too bad that Naval Aviation doesn't have a way to use "greybeards" like this. USAF calls em "line dogs" and the CV-22 pilot I work with was bemoaning the fact that because he didn't make command he may have to go back and be a random O5 who flies a bunch and makes sure the JOs are keeping the popcorn machine full.
Gentleman O-5 in a flying squadron, and someone has a problem with that? Talk about military aviation first world problems . . .

Pags

N/A
pilot
Gentleman O-5 in a flying squadron, and someone has a problem with that? Talk about military aviation first world problems . . .
Reality of life with a family. Hiss family is happy where they are and don't want to move back to NM while he deploys.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reality of life with a family. Hiss family is happy where they are and don't want to move back to NM while he deploys.
Ah. Didn’t realize Clovis was involved. :)

SlickAg

pilot
So he’s been presented with the reality of life as a non-screened O-5?

I mean, if he doesn’t want to move he can always resign...

Pags

N/A
pilot
This picture is very HSC - squadron didn’t have the gun yet, had no idea how to use it, but wanted to look cool in a photo op. That’s how you end up with a gun on the wrong side of the aircraft.
I was going to ask for clarification on that pic to see if someone had made a right hand gun. But I guess not.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
M197 was a niche solution for a niche problem. Not sure how relevant it will be in a blue water fight. I'm sure some folks could dream up a reason to keep it because it's a fun toy.
Well...I’m no Chester Nimitz, but I’ve never heard of a fight where someone said “We brought too many guns!” If we end up fighting a war against people who build islands out of dredged up sand don’t most of you imagine there will be plenty of “niche” shooting to do?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Well...I’m no Chester Nimitz, but I’ve never heard of a fight where someone said “We brought too many guns!” If we end up fighting a war against people who build islands out of dredged up sand don’t most of you imagine there will be plenty of “niche” shooting to do?
That's generally true but there are better ways to spend money on weapons systems for the -60. Without a good sighting system and stuck on the stub wing of a helicopter like that, that gun kinda sprays, like trying to accurately shoot an AK-47 from the hip. The volume of fire is certainly one of the positives (I'm not being sarcastic by saying this).

(And not that I think the navalized Hellfire would be that much more accurate in real world engagements against a swarm of small boats... just my opinion.)

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not if the dredged up island is full of IADS.
I don’t disagree...I just imagine that there will be plenty to shoot. It strikes me that it iis easier to say “Go down to the weapons section and grab the -197” than it is to say “Go back to North Island and grab the -197.”