• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I say this with particular knowledge to the position I am currently in: DoD as a whole has reduced in the past few years its overall capability to perform PR; particularly from a joint perspective. The burden is falling more on each individual service, or at least each component commander (Maritime, Air, Land) to be able to perform it, or at the very least, do the initial steps on their own. This is not just a Navy problem.

azguy

None
And just to clarify, everything I'm advocating for comes from being a SME and not some random SWO giving their opinion on a Naval Aviation forum without any true concept of what PR or CSAR actually is, or what CSAR will look like in a MCO fight (oops @nittany03 I did it again ;)).

You can wank all you want that I don't think Navy Rotary should waste their time focusing on this mission set, but...DUDE, your OWN community doesn't think you have a place in that world.

I know virtually nothing about PR at the tactical level. I just have a good amount of exposure to war games and forums that I've heard these types of discussions; so many times that even my dumbass has picked up on some common themes. I simply disagree that we'll be doing PR business as usual in, near, or IVO China in that kind of situation. Farther out, we may do it, but it won't be Navy helos. You seem like a well informed guy. Do you really disagree with that?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You can wank all you want that I don't think Navy Rotary should waste their time focusing on this mission set, but...DUDE, your OWN community doesn't think you have a place in that world.

I know virtually nothing about PR at the tactical level. I just have a good amount of exposure to war games and forums that I've heard these types of discussions; so many times that even my dumbass has picked up on some common themes. I simply disagree that we'll be doing PR business as usual in, near, or IVO China in that kind of situation. Farther out, we may do it, but it won't be Navy helos. You seem like a well informed guy. Do you really disagree with that?
I think the broader point is what the navy “wants” to do in the next war and what is “has” to do are going to be two very different things. In Iraq I watched an entire operation, that took months to plan and prep for, turn into a rescue effort for a Kiowa crew. The whole thing changed for two guys. That PR might not be a “thing” isn’t relevant to the discussion. The day the news mentions that a downed pilot was left to be captured by the enemy is the day some unprepared HSM guy will stop looking for subs and start looking for downed pilots...much to their detriment.

Hidden somewhere in this discussion at higher levels is the idea that somewhere around 2035 or so humans won’t be riding strike aircraft so PR becomes less important. If we are able to reach that point then maybe manned HSM won’t be a thing either and this entire debate will be academic.

Sonog

pilot
Tactics aside, isn't it going to be really difficult to meet all the SAR and log needs of the CSG with only 3 aircraft? I don't think the rest of the CSG is going to realize what its missing until its gone.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I don't think the rest of the CSG is going to realize what its missing until its gone.
Yet another life lesson the power ballads tried to teach us...

tumblr_nss4wm5SMZ1qdmhd1o1_250.gifv

OddFirstGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

taxi1

pilot
Tactics aside, isn't it going to be really difficult to meet all the SAR and log needs of the CSG with only 3 aircraft? I don't think the rest of the CSG is going to realize what its missing until its gone.
More command at sea opportunities for SWO Ensigns with their Utility Boats.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

That was my initial thought. I think challenging even with 4. With that said, I can't count how many times I was "backup" to the C-2 for any number of LOG events; I suspect the V-22 will be more reliable than the current set of CODs we have nowadays.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
3 Sierras plus a squadron of Romeos can handle that

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
3 Sierras plus a squadron of Romeos can handle that

I dunno, back when I was HS a lot of the time we’d use a trucked out 60F to haul trash and pull plane guard. I don’t think you can truck a 60R so it’ll be interesting to see how the overall utility mission will be handled in this case.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
You can sorta truck a Romeo. ALFS comes out, and if you can pull the sonobuoy launcher, but you still don't have anywhere near F/H/S space. The two mission racks are still there, and we're limited to 4 seats.

The biggest issues with HSM as plane guard are that they're only billeted for 1 AWR per crew vice the 2 AW(S)s in HS/HSC, and of course, what a waste of the radar & ESM to fly low and close to Mom.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
As for learning CSAR TTPs, does the Navy send HSC pilots to embed with a USAF PJ squadron as a sort of liaison tour, to watch and learn and do?

If not, sending 1-2 HSC LTs each year to AFSOC would be a cheap and easy way to build capability without creating a new curriculum. I don’t see why AFSOC would turn it down, either, given their high optempo and the AF’s pilot shortage.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can sorta truck a Romeo. ALFS comes out, and if you can pull the sonobuoy launcher, but you still don't have anywhere near F/H/S space. The two mission racks are still there, and we're limited to 4 seats.

The biggest issues with HSM as plane guard are that they're only billeted for 1 AWR per crew vice the 2 AW(S)s in HS/HSC, and of course, what a waste of the radar & ESM to fly low and close to Mom.

Plus not all the Romeos are always "at" the carrier. How many are usually onboard? 4-5? I know it will depend if you have a second squadron supporting the ships within the CSG in an Exped manner, but it's certainly not a full-squadron. Add in scheduled Mx for the carrier Romeos, and that number goes down even more.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
As for learning CSAR TTPs, does the Navy send HSC pilots to embed with a USAF PJ squadron as a sort of liaison tour, to watch and learn and do?

If not, sending 1-2 HSC LTs each year to AFSOC would be a cheap and easy way to build capability without creating a new curriculum. I don’t see why AFSOC would turn it down, either, given their high optempo and the AF’s pilot shortage.

AF helo rescue squadrons are a part of ACC (air combat command), not AFSOC. Some PJ RQS units fall under AFSOC, but the hardware units don’t. They have in the past but not currently.

As to sending Navy guys as a liaison, yes, there are Navy guys flying with some AF helo units. It’s not a career enhancing assignment for the Navy dude and very little, if any, lessons learned from the AF are fed back to the Navy.