• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shooting debrief discussion

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I’m hoping the officers in Atlanta have a well funded union that will unfuck the firing without even a hint of an investigation, and hold the mayor and department financially accountable for ruining his name.
Shit like this is why we have unions.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I maintain my earlier opinion. However I do not believe that the second officer should have been fired. As for the officer who did the shooting, I would imagine that if he is charged, it would be for manslaughter at the highest.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I maintain my earlier opinion. However I do not believe that the second officer should have been fired. As for the officer who did the shooting, I would imagine that if he is charged, it would be for manslaughter at the highest.
Completely disagree. I think any grand jury would find this a justified use of lethal force.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I’m hoping the officers in Atlanta have a well funded union that will unfuck the firing without even a hint of an investigation, and hold the mayor and department financially accountable for ruining his name.
Shit like this is why we have unions.

I think all police shootings should be investigated- and I like the idea of treating them the way we treat mishaps- with a publicly releasable JAGMAN and a privilege protected AMB/SIR.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think all police shootings should be investigated- and I like the idea of treating them the way we treat mishaps- with a publicly releasable JAGMAN and a privilege protected AMB/SIR.
Completely agree, but the court of public opinion couldn’t possibly be convinced to wait that long.

exNavyOffRec

I'll counter your second argument by saying that we're innocent until proven guilty, and we aren't held liable for things that we might do- only what we did do.

I wish the innocent until proven guilty actually was a thing, the way the media is it is treat as guilty for pretty much anyone in the public eye.

The way LE is being treated now it is guilty until proven innocent, but even then you are still going to be considered guilty.

Did you by chance see the families statements? They are saying it didn't happen the way the APD said it did, even though there is video from start to finish as to what happened. There is no reasoning with people that refuse to accept the way something happened even when shown video of the entire incident.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I know, and it is unfortunate that is where we are at as a society, in many ways I feel we have regressed as a society.

I can't imagine there was ever a moment in time anywhere in the world when the court of public opinion didn't pass its sentence before the real court got a shot at it (not at all excluding myself...the amount of shit I heaped on Eddie Gallagher never found itself short in supply before a jury ever got a say).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I wish the innocent until proven guilty actually was a thing, the way the media is it is treat as guilty for pretty much anyone in the public eye.

The way LE is being treated now it is guilty until proven innocent, but even then you are still going to be considered guilty.

Did you by chance see the families statements? They are saying it didn't happen the way the APD said it did, even though there is video from start to finish as to what happened. There is no reasoning with people that refuse to accept the way something happened even when shown video of the entire incident.

I just read the NAACP statement, and I saw the family's video. I think they're grieving for what they and their family and friends and what black Americans see as systemic racism in the police enforcement.

But in this instance, I don't see anything other than respect until it went south. And I understand that when the brainstem and adrenaline take over, the only thing that matters is training and previous experience, not higher thoughts like racism...

taxi1

pilot
The guy shouldn’t have died in this. It should have just been a funny story at the precinct, and at the perp’s family reunions. Fell asleep in the Wendy’s drive-through. Good YouTube video. Instead, you can just see the fight-or-flight kick in.

A relative of mine was involved in a motor vehicle accident where alcohol was involved, they were at fault, and someone died. Field sobriety checks confirmed. Was never handcuffed, and went home with their partner who drove to the scene. Ordered to appear in court, and eventually was charged and did their time. Justice was served. I wish something similar could have happened here.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The guy shouldn’t have died in this. It should have just been a funny story at the precinct, and at the perp’s family reunions. Fell asleep in the Wendy’s drive-through. Good YouTube video. Instead, you can just see the fight-or-flight kick in.

A relative of mine was involved in a motor vehicle accident where alcohol was involved, they were at fault, and someone died. Field sobriety checks confirmed. Was never handcuffed, and went home with their partner who drove to the scene. Ordered to appear in court, and eventually was charged and did their time. Justice was served. I wish something similar could have happened here.
Yeah...assaulting an officer and stealing his Taser is fucking hilarious.
Do you read the shit you write or do you think your anecdote of poorly applied justice should apply to everyone?
Just as an over application of force is not justifiable, a failure to execute the duties they are sworn to is inexcusable as well.

The man committed a felony and made the decisions that led to the end of his life. No matter how tragic that is, actions have consequences.
I fully support an investigation, followed by a public release of the results. Not a knee-jerk reaction by the Mayor and Chief of Police to pacify CNN and some fucking rioters.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I think I've gotta agree w/ the Pickle on this one. Shouldn't have come to deadly force, but the suspect took actions that made it permissible.

my opinion is that while it was a permissible shooting instance, it shouldn’t have been acted upon since he had armed backup right next to him. Even if the officer took the taser hit, his partner could have taken down Brown by lethal means if he stopped running, turned around, and went for the tased officers gun.

To me this falls into the “just because you can, does not mean you should” category.