• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shooting debrief discussion

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Those are smart questions. The answers get in to gray areas... which I'm guessing is why you asked them.

Yeah. I figure that we have a lot of smart folks from different backgrounds running around here. We've got a couple other threads going that seems to have a lot of absolutes as solutions. But I think a lot of police shootings are probably like this scenario- and live in a grey area. And I'd like to discuss it with some smart folks.

hdr777

pilot
Was the taser still usable after he shot it at the police?

Yes, you can still dry stun. I think I saw that a lot of police tasers have two cartridges that can be shot, not sure if they were both used or just one.

And is lethal force a proper response to a non-lethal weapon?

It's less than lethal, it can still be lethal, especially if used by someone who is not properly trained and uses it for an extended period of time. More importantly it's an incapacitating weapon, and if it used successfully, the officer could be incapacitated allowing easy access to their gun by someone who has already shown a willingness to take and use an officers weapon

Here's a pretty good explanation from the police page on reddit

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I agree. I won't lie, before I saw the video and the interactions between the police officer and the guy I imagined a different scenario. This one went sideways quickly, and well after the initial relationship between the two parties were established.

Was the taser still usable after he shot it at the police? Should that be part of the decision process? And is lethal force a proper response to a non-lethal weapon? Again, I'm not saying that the police officer who shot was necessarily in the wrong/went against what they're trained to it. But- is the response one that should be looked at as something to train to or not to do? Is this a case where we can collectively say, "Yeah, this guy needed to die then and there." I don't know.

I do agree that people need more positive interactions with the police, and that includes adults as much as it includes kids.

Would it help if police didn't show up strapped, and wearing bullet proof vests? How would things change if they looked a little more like Riggs and Murtaugh and less like RoboCop? Do we have the right mix of diplomacy and force? Too much of one and not enough of the other?
As to the taser question I don’t know. It was kind of a bang-bang thing (not making a joke) so it’s hard to fault the cop. As for using lethal force in response to a non lethal weapon, lots of people are killed without a weapon, and lots of cops have died by their own gun.

I reject the second part completely. The police seemed to be going out of their way to be calm, polite, and professional. I don’t think their appearance mattered much, the perp was calm until it was time to face the music.

hdr777

pilot
Would it help if police didn't show up strapped, and wearing bullet proof vests? How would things change if they looked a little more like Riggs and Murtaugh and less like RoboCop? Do we have the right mix of diplomacy and force? Too much of one and not enough of the other?

I missed this part, but I think there's a perception that officers with an outer tactical vest look more intimidating versus an officer with everything on their waist and a vest underneath their shirt, when to the police the only difference is that the outer vest is significantly more comfortable because it spreads the weight more evenly so it's not all on the hip and reduces future injury and joint pain

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I reject the second part completely. The police seemed to be going out of their way to be calm, polite, and professional. I don’t think their appearance mattered much, the perp was calm until it was time to face the music.

I didn't mean in this scenario, I just mean in those general interactions.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes, you can still dry stun. I think I saw that a lot of police tasers have two cartridges that can be shot, not sure if they were both used or just one.

It's less than lethal, it can still be lethal, especially if used by someone who is not properly trained and uses it for an extended period of time. More importantly it's an incapacitating weapon, and if it used successfully, the officer could be incapacitated allowing easy access to their gun by someone who has already shown a willingness to take and use an officers weapon

Here's a pretty good explanation from the police page on reddit

Was that the same model? Good to know.

I'll counter your second argument by saying that we're innocent until proven guilty, and we aren't held liable for things that we might do- only what we did do.

BUT all of this still doesn't really build towards my initial discussion, as I'm not interested in whether or not the shooting was within the standards or not, I'm interested in what could have been done differently (by the police) that would have led to a different outcome? Will the guy who lost his taser in the scuffle be held accountable for losing his weapon and allowing it to be used (unsuccessfully) against his partner- leading to the shooting? That seems like a big swiss cheese hole that if it didn't happen, the shooting wouldn't have happened...

I also tend to stay away from reddit- that place is a cesspool shitshow on a good day.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps it is time for an alternative to hand cuffing. In most cases that is where things start to go sour. A non-lethal “stop fleeing” system like BolaWrap could be adopted.

OscarMyers

None
Is it normal for both officers to attempt to physically subdue a suspect or do they ever use one to maintain standoff similar to the shooter/eyeball intercept mentality? Seems with both officers ass over teakettle on the ground it would be easy to lose SA of the situation.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Is it normal for both officers to attempt to physically subdue a suspect or do they ever use one to maintain standoff similar to the shooter/eyeball intercept mentality? Seems with both officers ass over teakettle on the ground it would be easy to lose SA of the situation.

I'd like to know if they're trained to go 2v1, or 1v1.

When hockey linesmen go in to breakup a fight, the expectation is that you go in together, and that there are a few things that get "briefed" before the game and then called out real time. SOPs and what not. It doesn't really sound like these guys were communicating to each other, or really working together. It doesn't appear that these two officers, who are from the same "team" really had a plan or knew how they were going to work together to apprehend this guy. Once he decided to resist, they were reacting to him, which means he was controlling the situation, not the cops.

Is that a training thing that could be fixed?

jmcquate

Contributor
I've heard a few SOF types complain about the lack of force on force training in LE, using paintball/simulnition. Makes seance, but what do I know.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I do not think the shooting was justified at all. There were armed two officers on scene. While Brown did get a taser and start to run away, they already knew he was inebriated from the sobriety test just administered. Even if he got a lucky shot off and hit one officer with the Taser, the second officer was still on scene with his service weapon. That to me negates the idea that "the first officer had to shoot him, because Brown could taser him, get the officers pistol and shoot him." There was no need to open fire on a man who was running away. They already patted him down and knew he didn't have any other weapons. At the moment of his shooting he was armed with nothing but the taser. Even if they did let him run, they have all his information and his vehicle to arrest him in what no doubt would be a short amount of time to charge and arrest him.

To comment on what the reddit link from earlier: Just because the law says "you are legally allowed to shoot the suspect" does that mean officers should always do it? None of us keyboard warriors were there, but if there is any opportunity for de-escalation, I would hope LEOs would take it, and use their gun as a last resort.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This shit breaks my heart. All three parties were being courteous and the officers professional. I know Swanee specificly wanted to avoid the suspects decisions, but I have to say, whether cops made a mistake or not, it is clear that if the suspect allowed handcuffing, he would not have a bruise on him.

On to more genral thoughts about police use of force, inspired by this discussion, but not meant to critique these two guys.

First, redit and most everything coming out of the recent marches is wrong. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO SHOOT A SUSPECT! I am so tired of hearing this blatant lie. The police right to use deadly force is the same as the one that governs you and me. So, according to Tenn v Garner, to use deadly force police must have probable cause to believe a suspect poses a DEADLY threat to the officers, or others. Under that law, you could shoot someone running from you, evening in the back, if you truly thought the guy was going to be a deadly threat to others. I have seen those scenarios in judgmental shoot simulators such as FATS. BUT it is just not true that you can shoot a suspect simply to effect the arrest. When my father was a cop back in the 50s and 60s, the law DID allow for shooting a fleeing suspect. Interesting history behind that common law permission. But it was changed by Tenn v Garner. Every cop knows it by heart. If you carry a person firearm you better know the law yourself.

Is a dude running from you with a taser a deadly threat? Probably not, I think. It was mentioned that a taser could incapacitate an officer and his weapon be taken. True. That is a consideration. Same consideration if you were hit by pepper spray. In the video it looks like their distance was at the very edge of effective taser range. I know of only one model taser with two shots.

Tasers firing sound like a gun shot, you can hear it in the video. It is why in most agencies you are trained to yell "Taser, taser. taser", time permitting, so the taser discharge does not initiate sympathetic gun fire from other officers. If someone is running from you in the dark and turns, points a gun like object at you and it makes a gun shot noise when fired, you might mistake it for a gun shot. If your suspect has run from you at cuffing, before search, that he ran from you with a stolen taser does not guarantee he did not grab a gun from concealment while he ran. Having a concealed gun would be a good reason for running from a simple DWI arrest.

Officers are taught some two man defensive/cuffing tactics. It must be said, like anybody, a cops actual competency will decrease after training unless they work at maintaining their sills. We see this in aviation. How often you sit with NATOPS and study, or talk to the maintainers about advanced systems? Cops no different. Some take private martial arts lessons and some pay their own money to go to advanced firearms courses. Most don't. Thing went south on cuffing. It is the most dangerous time. Up until then most folks thing they are going to get a warning or ticket. Once you go hands on to cuff, that is when they will resist. Not many suspects just take a swing at you while you are talking, working your way through the interview/investigation. Once a guy resists, generally the tactic is to take them to the ground and control the hands. No one was ever stabbed or shot by a person holding a knife or gun in their feet. Most fighting skills learned by police are grappling skills designed to get someone in custody, not beat anyone up. Using a closed fist on a suspect is rather rare.

SOF guys that are amazed that cops don't spend more time on things like paintballs should not be. Soldiers/Seals have NOTHING else to do but train. They have almost unlimited budgets. Cops have to patrol the streets, investigate crimes, and endless other duties, all on a limited budget. Every hour they spend training is an hour off the street. Should they do more/? Sure, in some case, and most guys want the training. IT isn't going to happen under "defund the police" initiatives. But that is for the city council and state legislatures. Except for the smaller agencies, everyone has seen force on force via paint ball or simunitions at lest once. Shoot houses are very common. If you are on a high speed no drag kind of tactical unit, you get a lot more training for obvious reasons.

Why not arrest a guy coming out of Subway? Well, sometimes they do. Often they don't because of the innocent citizens that they would put in danger. There are also more variable which you have no control over. Sometimes, they need to get a guy in his home or other location to get him "with the goods" to make the case for prosecutors. Wait for the suspect to come out of the drug house to arrest him in the driveway, sure, and his buds then shoot at you from the house. Cops, especially the SWAT type guys, are very safety conscious. They would not bust down a door if they didn't have to.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This sit breaks my heart. All three parties were being courteous and the officers professional. I know Swanee specificly wanted to avoid the suspects decisions, but I have to say, whether cops made a mistake or not, it is clear that if the suspect allowed handcuffing, he would not have a bruise on him.

You're absolutely right. And a lot of people are grieving and 2 guys are going to run this one in their heads for the rest of their lives, and have to live with it- and that sucks, a lot.

I honestly believe that no one involved in the scenario wanted this outcome, or would be happy with this outcome.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're absolutely right. And a lot of people are grieving and 2 guys are going to run this one in their heads for the rest of their lives, and have to live with it- and that sucks, a lot.

I honestly believe that no one involved in the scenario wanted this outcome, or would be happy with this outcome.
And it will go down as another white on black cop shooting by racists cops who might as well executed him. There is no room for mistakes. It must be racial. Even as we speak, people are protesting and have no idea what really happened. All they know is a black man got shot for sleeping in his car. The Chief of Atlanta PD was highly respected. She was a good one to have in these times. But to many, her's is just another scalp.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
And it will go down as another white on black cop shooting by racists cops who might as well executed him. There is no room for mistakes. It must be racial. Even as we speak, people are protesting and have no idea what really happened. All they know is a black man got shot for sleeping in his car. The Chief of Atlanta PD was highly respected. She was a good one to have in these times. But to many, her's is just another scalp.
Yeah, and this is probably a discussion for another thread. But again, I don't think this was racially motivated, it wasn't a "bad cop" thing either. I think there may be some key points that can be emphasized in future training events.

I don't like how (politically) Atlanta is handling this one at all.