• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shipping to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wutzu

Running in boots is a good idea, for three reasons. First, it gets your feet and shins used to the lack of support boots provide. This keeps you from having crazy blisters and shin splints at OCS. Second, it gets you used to the extra weight boots have. They're heavier than go-fasters, and you'll feel it right away. Third, your boots will be more broken in.

What I did for boots was check out EBay. I got a used pair of Belleville Jungles for 50 bucks, and had them totally broken in for OCS. Either get your OSO to make a run to the PX for you, or look on ebay, or check out belleville's website. If you pay more than $100 new or $60 used, you're probably getting ripped off. You want to get a pair of Jungles before you ship, so you can have them broken in for OCS. This leaves you with broken in jungles for PT, your issued ICB (Infantry Combat Boots, heavier and better cushioned than jungles) for Humps and Classes, and your Issued Jungles for Inspections ONLY.

Your cammies and boots will be issued during inprocessing, and they're pretty much yours forever.

There will be an ice machine on the company quarterdeck, so IIRC, you get the firewatch to get you ice.

Matt S

None
Does anybody else's stomach hurt when thinking about OCS. I just graduated Seniors on the 19th and the pain is still all to real. I am glad it's over and in hindsight I can't believe it is all over. It seems as though yesterday I was preparing for juniors and now some how it's all behind me.

By the way Bates lights are awesome!! Secret sneakers is exactly what they are. You'll be better off if you can get your hands on some and go there with them broken in. I didn't buy mine until the second libo so the only thing I really did with them is the E-course, but I smoked my intial time from the week before. A lot of it could have been in my head because I told myself they were wwwaaaayyyy lighter then they actually were. Whatever works though!

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Carno said:
OCS wasn't that bad. Whenever I think about OCS now I just laugh.

That statement is easy to make when you're back on the block, clean, full of hot chow you took your sweet time eating, with plenty of sleep, and your girlfriend on the way over to your house.

OCS sucked. Yes there were funny parts (more during juniors) and I miss the friends I made there. But, do I wish I was running mile two of the CRT with my canteens and warbelt taking skin off my hips right now? Hell no.

Oh, and I never ran in boots prior to seniors and I'm glad I didn't. That trash breaks down your lower body. I personally would recommend showing up with your lower body nice and rested. Bringing broken in boots will prevent the problems that running in boots before hand would solve.

tperng

Thanks again for all the great advice. I like the idea of bringing my own broken in boots to OCS to spare my feet some pain. However, boot fit is a very important factor to me, that's why I've resisted buying boots online.

Is there any way I can go with my OSO to purchase the boots? Or, if that's not possible, then is there a place I can go in or around NYC to try on boots before buying?

T-man

tperng said:
This post has been a veritable mine of information. :)

I have a few more questions about OCS for those of you who've "been there, done that":

1) I haven't started running in boots yet. My OSO told me that running in boots is not really a requirement. I don't have access to a military exchange or commissary. The only pair of boots I own are light civilian hikers. Should I start running in my hikers? Not sure that would really help.

2) Do candidates purchase cammies and boots at OCS? Or is that stuff "rented out" like the canteens so it can be reused by other training cycles?

3) Are candidates allowed to ice themselves at the end of the day? If so, where do we get the ice?

RE:boots
http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/
Civilians can order Marine Corps Desert Combat boots online at the above website. I have a pair and if selected will start training in them.

boot model number: "550 ST"

Crowbar

None
This was a really good informative thread for people going to OCS. Now it's just turning into a random collection of crap.
Search for old threads (preferred method) or start new ones.
Closed.

rwstelma

Occ-199

Hey All,

I'm starting this thread for all of us reporting to OCC-199 in October. Last I saw the report date was 081004. I personally am keeping my fingers crossed for 199 because I just had shoulder surgery in April. I went to 197 in January and got hurt the first week. My doc says I have a 50% shot of being ready for 199, if I don't make 199, it's the winter session again...

Who else is reporting to 199? What is your PFT score? What MOS are you hoping for down the road at TBS?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Hey All,

I'm starting this thread for all of us reporting to OCC-199 in October. Last I saw the report date was 081004. I personally am keeping my fingers crossed for 199 because I just had shoulder surgery in April. I went to 197 in January and got hurt the first week. My doc says I have a 50% shot of being ready for 199, if I don't make 199, it's the winter session again...

Who else is reporting to 199? What is your PFT score? What MOS are you hoping for down the road at TBS?

if the selectivity is the same as it was for this summer, and your shoulder is fine and your eligible, you dont need to worry about getting selected. they have 2 whole extra companies for the 10 weekers, bravo and delta, and the retention rate is really high right now. some people were doing as little as 9 pullups at the intermediate PFT and no one said anything about it. they need people really bad to grow the force to 202,000

MettGT

pilot
if the selectivity is the same as it was for this summer, and your shoulder is fine and your eligible, you dont need to worry about getting selected. they have 2 whole extra companies for the 10 weekers, bravo and delta, and the retention rate is really high right now. some people were doing as little as 9 pullups at the intermediate PFT and no one said anything about it. they need people really bad to grow the force to 202,000

Actually, according to the Commandant and LtGen Amos, we're way ahead of schedule in growing the force to 202,000. So, I wouldn't say that they really neeed people bad. It doesn't hurt anybody's chances though.

T

Txwelder

Im an Active Duty SSgt and reporting to 199. Im excited, nervous, anxious, and hopefully ready! My PFT for my package was a 275 20/100/22:10. I run my pre-ship PFT on the 27th so we will see where that goes. My goal MOS is 6002 as I have been in Marine aviation for 10 years but I wont deny any commission.

AJB37

I just signed my paper work today for 199. Barring my tattoo waiver being rejected it looks like I'll be there in October. My PFT was only a 261 with 19/100/ 23:40. Obviously I'll be working on my run a lot this next month.

swoulter

:confused:

We had a candidate in our platoon that got 7 pullups was second to last in the run ahead of a injured candidate and im not sure about situps, but came out to around a 209 final pft. He graduated without going to the boards. At this point with a combination of other things throughout OCS I started losing confidence in the whole screening process. Thankfully there is still TBS.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
:confused:

We had a candidate in our platoon that got 7 pullups was second to last in the run ahead of a injured candidate and im not sure about situps, but came out to around a 209 final pft. He graduated without going to the boards. At this point with a combination of other things throughout OCS I started losing confidence in the whole screening process. Thankfully there is still TBS.

I would be careful though i just got back two weeks ago and they were droping people left and right especialy for NPQ. the bottom line is if you want to be USMC officer settling for getting by wont cut it and life will be alot harder at OCS and into TBS and eventualy the fleet. Delta droped a guy the night of family day for being a freakin idiot so its not over till its over anyway just go out there bust your ass and leave everything on the field and you will at least be respected for that and your DIs will deffinatly notice even though they will never say anything to you.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.