• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shipping to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

motiv8r

The best solution for preventing chafing on humps is to buy some UnderArmour compression shorts and wear them under your skivvies and utilities. They do a phenomenal job of preventing chafing.

Note that you cannot wear compression shorts under your skivvies during PT in go-fasters. I guess it wouldn't be a problem for boots and utes events like the E course, etc.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
A&D Ointment, the same stuff they use for diaper rash. A little of that on the crotch or on your monkey butt after a hump and you're golden. The stuff works wonders. My tube saved some candidates some serious pain.

devildog2307

For all of you out there reading or seeking gouge for OCS, listen to DocT. Wow, I have never heard anyone articulate what it will be like, and how you feel while you're there, better than he did. When I read his posts I could see it all over again in my head, espeically pick-up and the indoctrination process following for a while with lots of games and little sleep. It's one big blurr of chaos! Great post man! Get some!

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
a lot of times you are going to hear your SI's say, "O.K. Say something" respond with this AS LOUD AS YOU CAN "SOMETHING" insert appropriate rank

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I have been to Jrs and I am headed back to Srs on 10 July. I look at the pictures of Echo and Golf Co. and I see controlled chaos. Those are the companies with candidates who have been there, and MECEPs and NROTC guys who've been training for the last few months, and the Staff is still chewing some a$$.

Remember Jr=Train & Motivate; Srs= Screen and evaluate(read 6 wk kick in the balls). So all this advice is great and I can't wait to get it on.

On a side note one thing I think is most important is use the 2.5 days of in processing time wisely. I know I didn't when I was there. Mark all your gear, read your regs, study the 5 paragraph order. I know that's what I should have done the first time instead of looking around waiting on the next box lunch.

klostman

the happy dance!
Whether or not it has been said in in this thread, I would say an important thing to remember is the BIG PICTURE. For those who are going to Jrs, remember, this is not how the real USMC functions. It will be your first taste of OCS. Remember why you are there in the first place, become an officer, lead Marines, and maybe become a pilot or infantryman, or whatever. Listen to your instructors. The SI's may seem like your worst enemy, but they are actually incredible Marines with a wealth of knowledge who are rooting for you inside. They respect you just for the fact you decided to attend OCS. Granted, they are also there to weed out the weak, but I believe they are also rooting for you inside provided you listen to them and give it 110%. Everyone is given a fair evaluation. You will have many opportunities to prove yourself. All of the advice given is great, its not that bad, and you will actually look back on it and laugh at a lot of stuff and make some great friends. Good luck to all.

Semper Fi

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Bringing jeans to OCS= bad idea.

photo67.jpg

esday1

Another thing to avoid (from an earlier thread):
photo40.jpg

That's a former classmate of mine who made the mistake of bring prescription photosensitive glasses ("transitions" lenses) to OCS, and no other glasses. He made it through OCS and got his commission, but got a little bit of "special" attention for the first few weeks before the BCGs came in.

devildog2307

Can anyone describe what SULE I & SULE 2 are like, and roughly what the difference is between the two? The kinds of things I'm looking for are, how long they last, and what they actually involve doing. I've heard that there are "check points" that you reach along the way to some destination, and at each of those, there are problems that you have to solve, but that's all I know really.

esday1

The main difference between them is that in SULE I you lead a fire team, while in SULE II you lead a squad. In both of them, you will solve "leadership problems" at certain points, and run between those checkpoints. Everyone on your team/squad will be the unit leader at some point, so in SULE II that works out to a lot more running. The nature of the actual problem will vary a lot. In general, expect to get some sort of task or scenario that will require you to communicate the situation to your team, come up with some plan to get through the task, and guide your team through the task. A lot of them tend to involve hauling ammo cans over some sort of bridge or obstacle, though. SULE II also has a few "tactical" problems thrown in. The specifics of what you'll be doing won't really matter until you start your problem, anyway.

devildog2307

Hi,

Remember those fun little diddies that we used to recite when performing drill? Like:

COMMAND DIDDY
========= ======
mark time...MARCH: Step straight leg and up right.
to the rear...MARCH: Step-ease-step.

Does anyone remember the diddy for INSPECTION ARMS? That was one I always had a hard time with performing and remembering which part of the diddy went with which action like pulling the charging handle, hitting the beavers tail, closing the ejection port cover, and pulling the trigger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I prepare to go back to OCS. Thanks.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
INSPECTION ARMS - JACK BE NIP PULL JACK BE QUICK
Order "don't dip" Arms
Port "to the deck" Arms
Lean Back - at the waist - lean on back - and strut
I walk that tight rope - tight tightight - I walk that tight rope - crack that whip
Going from R Shoulder to order arms we were told to "punch a midget in the face"

USMCRugger

DocT said:
(cont.)

You will run your initial PFT before pick up on weds. This is so candidates aren't stressed out by the staff yet and they can get a good read on your physical preparedness. There is some bad gouge out there that says you want to "save" a little effort for the final PFT and show some improvement. Give 110% of your effort on the initial PFT! If you don't, you may just tank it and get boarded (stand tall in front of the Colonel, explaining why you didn't prepare for OCS). You may be sent home. Don't risk this. I don't know of any candidates who had a personal best on the initial PFT at Brown Field. The new environment, lack of sleep, etc. will all work together to shave points off your score. Also, the staff doesn't let trash slide. If you aren't locking your arms out or kipping on the pull-up bar they won't count. I lost 4 last summer. If your shoulder blades aren't hitting the deck on your crunches, they won't count. I have heard and I suspect the run course is a bit longer at OCS. I lost 35 seconds off my time, others lost as much a minute and a half. Be ready to put out on the PFT.

If you do score poorly on the PFT, DON'T LOSE YOUR BEARING! You will get a chit, you may have to take the remedial, and you will probably have to stand tall in front of the man. But if you want to stay, they will let you. A candidate in my Platoon last year only got 3 pull-ups and he stayed. Don't forget why you are there and all the work you put into this already. If you let doubt creep into mind, you will crack.

A word on the mental side. Your OSO would not have sent you if you weren't ready. You will succeed at OCS. Men have completed the course by sheer will power. Don't fail yourself by doubting your own abilities. Yes, statistics will say that 10% of you don't belong there. It's not you. Perhaps you'll have an epiphany while in-processing that tells you that the Marine Corps is not for you. This may be...but finish juniors. Then take as long as you need to decide if this is what you want to do. You will never be sorry you completed the junior course. If you turned in a first class PFT and were accepted by the board, you have the tools to complete juniors. Do It.

After the initial PFT you'll be ready for pick-up. I know there are all sorts of stories about this. Yes it's crazy. There will be men with 30 inch waists who can fly swarming all over your platoon. Tables and chairs will fly, chaos will ensue. You (and 250 other candidates) will exit a large classroom in less than 1 minute. Just wait for these words: "Platoon Sergeants, Take charge of your platoons and carry out the plan of the day!" When the Colonel says this, OCS begins. Again, DON'T LOSE YOUR BEARING! Mentally prepare for the chaos and insanity. Pick up your trash, and do exactly what you are told. From then on follow those rules. Do exactly what you are told. You will be fine. When your staff asks you a question, answer them in as loud a voice as you can muster. If you think you're wrong (you will be), answer as loudly as you can. Always sound off!

The sea bag drag will begin. All those pictures you've seen on the website are of this event. You will haul your trash all over Brown Field, you will dump and repack said trash over and over. It WILL get spread around the deck and mixed with that of other candidates. This is why you must label everything you bring clearly. Put your stuff in ziplock freezer bags, so instead of chasing 5 pairs of socks around the grinder, you're chasing one bag. You will enter and exit the squad bay several times. Do everything with speed and certainty.

The next three days will be filled with chaos and you will have no idea what's next. Go with the flow and things will fall into place. Personally, I remember very little from this time. There was lots of games and little sleep. I was hungry, tired, and uncertain of what I was doing there. This is normal. Look at the candidates around you, chances are they will be feeling the exact same way. If you begin to show signs of weakness and uncertainty around the staff, they will eat you alive. These things are like blood in the water to sharks concerning sergeant instructors: using personal pronouns, stammering while speaking, improperly addressing staff members, moving too slowly, basically everything you do. Don't freak out. You will grow accustomed to being screamed at. Also, things will fall into a routine which will make life much more managable for you. You will begin to be able to practice the all important time management aspect of being a candidate.

Don't grow too attached to your large and small bag issue that you will buy and lug around during in-processing. This will all be mixed together during pick-up. You will find that you are missing certain items and have an abundance of others. This will sort itself out as time goes on...for the most part. You will find at pugils that you don't have a mouthguard or something similar.

There is only one way your platoon will gaggle f%@# itself through the beginning of OCS, work together. There will be candidates who are slower to adapt or get things done. Help this candidate out. It might be you. Priors will be the backbone of the platoon for the first bit. Ask for their advice, and for the most part they will give it freely. The staff will get all warm and fuzzy when they see the platoon pull together. You will know this when they don't berate you for doing it. Don't let one candidate get hung out to dry...help that man.

You will have a bad day there, a bad evolution, etc. I had one day where my head was squarely in my a$$ and I couldn't perform proper inspection arms for the life of me. I caught hell in a very personal way in front of the company. Don't let this get you down. Don't Quit. If you do quit, don't blame the staff saying they had it in for you, or they didn't give you a chance. That's bull$hit. They are consummate pros at what they do...some of the finest of the Corps. If you go home, it's on you, not them. I'm not talking about injuries here, I mean DOR's.

enough for now. Anyone else want to add?
Semper Fi, Doc

What's considered a poor score at OCS?

devildog2307

USMCBill said:
What's considered a poor score at OCS?

If you fail any one of the 3 components I think you get flagged. I believe that going above 24 minutes on the run will skyline you. As far as overall score goes, I have no idea. Just make sure you get above 250 and that you don't fail any one of the 3 parts and you should be ok.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
A few notes from a 10-weeker:

Ten weeks is a long time, and there's hardly any downtime to heal, so whatever chronic injuries you have, get them taken care of, and ease off your workout schedule the week before you ship to reduce the risk of injury.

The 10-weekers were allowed to DOR prior to pickup (categorized officially as I(nital)DOR). One candidate did so when I was there. Don't do it. You haven't seen anything yet. Tough it out four weeks and then decide if it's right for you.

Put out on the PFT, because if you fail it (or any of the events), you'll be put on platoon probation off the bat. You can get by with borderline pullups and crunches, but failing the run will skyline you. By our intermediate PFT, 22:30 was the slowest time (mine). Colonel Rachal told me when I got boarded that while some candidates who arrive at OCS with a borderline run time (24 min is the minimum, my initial was 24:01) make it to graduation, most don't. Get that run time down.

(A brief aside: Probation in a nutshell):
If you fail a certain number of graded events, you'll automatically be put on some level of probation. You can also be placed there for various offences such as consistently lacking bearing. You really have to be a screwup for the latter to happen, most people got placed for event failures.

Platoon probation has no consequences, you'll just be watched more closely.
Company probation limits your liberty to Quantico Base, but you're still allowed to go to the PX and Q-town.
Battalion probation limits your liberty to Brown field. This really sucks, because if there's anything you need that the OCS PX doesn't have, you'll have to get your platoon-mates to do your shopping for you.

I was on Battalion probation... you don't want to be on it. You never get taken off probation once you're on it, so take that as a strong incentive not to fail anything.
(aside over)

Pay close attention when your Company and Platoon staff are introduced - take their name and rank down if you can. Pickup was crazy. I've blocked most of it from my mind (I saw photos of my platoon during pickup and I'm thinking .... I don't remember that). The only thing I would say is to keep your cool, move fast, and help your platoonmates. The routine varies by platoon and company staff, so what one guy did may not be what your platoon will do. For example, I had all my stuff in ziplocks in preparation for the seabag drag. It never happened. Instead, we came inside, dumped our stuff in our lockers, and spent an hour producing items on demand "get X...15, 14, 13....2 BACK ON LINE 1 DONE STAFF SERGEANT." Those of us with our meticulously packed ziplocks ended up ripping them apart and dumping the contents in our footlocker to find whatever it was we needed. Adapt, and think on your feet.

Like the original poster, I don't remember much from the first two weeks. The staff told us what to do and we did it.... fast. Whatever you do, don't let you platoon mates hang out to dry. Somebody missing a cover? Lend them yours. If somebody screws up, they will ask the candidates to his left and right (and later, his fire team and squad leader) why they didn't notice and correct him, and occasionally they will punish his neighbors/superiors as well.

Most of my platoon admitted to having doubts about being there during those first days after pickup, because it is utter suckitude. I know I did, and I was was pretty locked-on mentally. It'll pass. Like klostman said, this isn't how the real USMC functions. My OSO came by and told me, hey, we never treated you like that at the office. It's just a phase you have to go through, for them to see that you can function under the stress of combat. They can't start shooting at you, so the have to resort to playing mind games and screaming very loud to simulate that level of stress and chaos. Remember that. The games and mental abuse will ease up over the weeks, especially after week 4 and the first wave of DOR's, and as the candidate billet holders begin to exercise their authority.

Whatever you do, DON'T EVER GIVE UP. It will be physically rough, but if you were selected, you have the ability to make it. Getting through the runs and humps is to a large degree mental. I had a great deal of trouble physically; I didn't pass a PFT until a month before I shipped, and failed my initial run by 1 second. About three weeks in, after getting placed on Company probation for straggling on runs and getting dropped from our first hike (Da Nang hill killed me), I realized I should have taken more time to prepare. But here I was at OCS, and I knew I couldn't DOR, or stop giving 100%, because if that happened I'd never get a chance to come back.

I was sent before the Colonel in the fifth week. With me was another candidate who'd caught pneumonia and missed a good deal of training.
The XO walked by as we were waiting and asked all of us waiting for the board if we wanted to be here. Most of us sounded off "YES SIR" unhesitatingly. He mumbled some stuff about "this summer is basically shot, but this candidate would like to return next summer". He was dropped and wasn't given the opportunity to reapply, because he gave up.

No matter how badly you think you are doing, the decision to drop you is the Colonel's, not yours. The attitude of "it's going rough, so I'll quit and try again next summer" is not what they're looking for.

SOUND OFF. Don't be they guy lip-synching. They will catch you, and your platoon mates will hate you for it when the PTI makes you do pushups for not being loud enough. Besides, as other posters have mentioned, it's fun. Moreover, it's good practice for when you have an enlisted billet and have to do some screaming of your own (everything is done for a purpose at OCS). I lost my voice the day after pickup from all the screaming we did, and quickly learned how to drop to a lower pitch like the SI's did so they could still shout(if you pay attention, they lose their voices too). I sounded like a damn frog, but I kept my volume. When it came time for me to be Cand. Platoon Sergeant, sure, I lost my voice, but I could still shout orders. Don't be the candidate squeaking out orders to the platoon (or worse, the company) because they never figured out that trick.

One big problem my platoon had was "too many Chiefs, not enough Indians." Everyone wanted to show off how good a leader they were, so naturally everyone contributed their 2 cents on how **** should be done. All that leads to is disorder and chaos. We had a couple of guys get chewed out for doing stuff they weren't supposed to (like shaving at the wrong time), because some non-billet holder shouted out a suggestion that they, in the confusion, took as an order from the chain of command. If you aren't in a billet, shut up and follow the chain of command. Pass suggestions up the chain, and in the meantime, listen to your billet holders, no matter how much you may disagree with them. When we finally figured this out around week 5, things went a lot smoother.

You will get sick. By the second week everybody had a nasty cough, and three guys in my platoon ended up with pneumonia (two ended up dropping, but the third is still there as of week 9 despite two weeks on bedrest/light duty - show them you want to be there and they'll keep you around). Use that hand sanitizer often, and bring it with you when you go out to the field.

Yea, I miss OCS, partly because I got NPQ'd and my platoon is a week from graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.