• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shipping to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinHigh

Hey guys thanks for the posts, great stuff. I am heading to juniors in two weeks. From the posts I read from DocT, you said something about freezer bags, is that for the stuff we bring from home? Or are you talking they are going to throw our sh!t all over from the large and small issue items? also are we allowed to bring our razors and shaving stuff from home?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
FlyinHigh said:
Hey guys thanks for the posts, great stuff. I am heading to juniors in two weeks. From the posts I read from DocT, you said something about freezer bags, is that for the stuff we bring from home? Or are you talking they are going to throw our sh!t all over from the large and small issue items? also are we allowed to bring our razors and shaving stuff from home?

The freezer bags are for the socks and skivvies, writing gear, toiletries, etc. you bring from home. They keep your trash together when it's getting dumped around by the staff during pick-up. Yes, bring your own razors (not electric), toothpaste, toothbrush, and anything else from home. I don't remember that being part of the bag issue. I used my own the entire time.

also, bring a small bottle of sunscreen to pick-up or slide it in your cargo pocket soon after. After we got haircuts they sat us at the POA on the parade deck in the sun. Our milky white grapes got sunburned to hell. The entire company shed skin like fricking snakes for the first two weeks.

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
Hand Sanitizers. USE IT every chance you get
Liquid Soap, USE IT. you save time in the head and you don't drop it lol

KBayDog

DocT said:
also, bring a small bottle of sunscreen to pick-up or slide it in your cargo pocket soon after. After we got haircuts they sat us at the POA on the parade deck in the sun. Our milky white grapes got sunburned to hell. The entire company shed skin like fricking snakes for the first two weeks.

Aside from the obvious pain of sunburn, there is nothing cooler than a bunch of bald, khaki-wearin', cell-phone talkin' guys walking down Potomac Ave or eating at Ruby Tuesday's with red & white "cover tans."

The chicks dig it.

motiv8r

Hey, another thing. Can't believe nobody's brought this up yet. Bring along 2 or 3 tubes of Lotrimin Ultra. It works for both jock itch and athletes foot, much better than the so-called tough-actin' Tinactin. Believe me I speak from experience. Learn from my mistake so you don't have to write your girlfriend in the middle of week 2. "Hey honey, I have crotch rot, would you mind FedExing me some over-the-counter antifungal medication?" It kind of puts a damper on the first time you see her during libo, if you know what I mean....

GburgMike

If someone wouldn't mind getting real specific with the ziploc bags like exactly what to and what not to put in them, I would appreciate it. I know it was mentioned earlier but I'm a little confused only because my OSO told me that when he went he put all his stuff in ziplock bags and they made him take all of it out of the ziplock, making him the slow guy. any info would be great. Thanks!!

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
RE: Zip lock bags.....i used them mostly for inprocessing. When you have all you gear when you get there, have it stowed in zip lock backs, so when you dump in out on the deck, its easier to retrieve. You can put almost anything you want into these backs (personally, i had everything but my shoes and boots in bags). This is a handy trick for pick-up. Zip lock bags also come in handy later, when it comes to keeping important trash like your reg book intact during training. I wouldn't expect one to tote around plastic bags everywhere during training for every item you own. They just come in really handy from time to time at Brown field, especially during the seabag drag. Hope this helps.

klostman

the happy dance!
The zip lock bags are a must. Look at it this way, even if the staff makes you dump all your trash out of the zip lock bags to make your like even more stressful, you would be no worse off if you would have just not used the zip lock bags and just had everything scattered everywhere. I used zip lock bags for jr/sr and never saw/heard them ask us to open up the zip lock bags during the sea bag drag and games they played on us on the parade deck during pick up. However, my instructors would play games with us during the training cylce by asking us to open our foot lockers; and if they were not organized according to candidate regs, take our zip lock bags, open them up, and throw them all over the squad bay. But I'm sure most platoons dealt with that type of stuff. Bring the zip lock bags, you will regret it if you don't. Stay organized at OCS, your life will be much easier.

Xeo111

Just throwing in my 2 cents, this is for all the 'gouge whores' - the folks who think they need to know every bit of information that every candidate has ever picked up (I know, I was one of them): Everything you need to know to succeed will either be taught to you or you'll figure it out.

This isn't to say that ya'll shouldn't be finding stuff out, but just be aware that you don't need to panic if you never found out which marker is the best one to bring down there (sharpie :icon_wink), or what font to use when you mark your ziplock bags, or how tall your socks should be... The information here is golden, but it's a lot to remember, and when you've got the anxiety of knowing "oh $***, pickupiscomingpickupiscomingpickupiscoming..." it'll be pretty tough to sort through all this info.

Success requires you to follow orders, keep your bearing (and your head - don't go running around and panicking like a chicken with it's head cut off), and remember why you're there. The big things will be taught, and the little things you'll figure out.

For those of you 1st increment folks- See you in 11 days :D

JDawg2332

Getting some since 1775
Guys, Powder your balls but do NOT use the medicated/menthol powder TRUST ME!!! Corpsocgmu can verify that for you. I learned about powdering the unmentionables at OCS, and i continue to do it, my roommate thinks im weird.

Don't Knock it until you've tried it
oh ya I have had guys tell me to USE the medicated powder, and that they use it

motiv8r

I would actually say hold off on the powder altogether.

It is so hot down there in the summer that your sweat will turn the powder into an abrasive paste within a half-hour and hasten any chafing you already have.

This was the overwhelming consensus reached by my platoon last year at Seniors, after hundreds of hours discussing the subject on fire watch.

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
above all, never use body deoderant spray down there. i learned this lesson the hard way, and found out when my roommate learned it too, one day, because i heard him yelling.

if only there was a message board for stupid roommates, i could have shared that knowledge and spared him the burning sensation. at least my whole floor got a good laugh out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.