• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shin splints, running, ocs

super hornet

Hey, What do the candidates do for pt and what clothing they get to wear? Do they have to run everything in boots or can you bring running shoes and use those? I have been training really hard so far and I think I’m beginning to develop shin splints and I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks for dealing with them? I’m also assuming that if you develop them at ocs you just have to suck it up and take it. Also, what kind of running should I be training more for, distance or sprints? Anything else you can tell me about ocs I will really appreciate.

KBayDog

wanim2.gif

KBayDog

Uugh. Fine - I'll bite:

Hey, What do the candidates do for pt and what clothing they get to wear?

PT is varied; you wear green-on-green PT gear or "boots and utes" (boots and utility trousers).

Do they have to run everything in boots or can you bring running shoes and use those?

You run in whatever footwear they determine, based on the PT event.

I have been training really hard so far and I think I’m beginning to develop shin splints and I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks for dealing with them?

Search this site. This topic has been covered in depth.

I’m also assuming that if you develop them at ocs you just have to suck it up and take it.

Or you can D.O.R. (If they are so severe that you cannot continue, there's a chance that they'll medically disqualify you and let you return for a later class.)

Also, what kind of running should I be training more for, distance or sprints?

Primarily distance (if you can easily handle 10 miles at varying speeds, you are golden).

Anything else you can tell me about ocs I will really appreciate.

SEARCH the OCS forum; just about anything/everything you could want to know can be found there.

Benson

It is my understanding that the most common cause of shin splints is dehydration. I drink at least a gallon of water a day and have been training pretty hard as well but have not had any problems yet....

so, try drinking more water. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Benson said:
It is my understanding that the most common cause of shin splints is dehydration. I drink at least a gallon of water a day and have been training pretty hard as well but have not had any problems yet....

Water, the miracle cure-all. ;) As a water boy once told me, "You don't want to die of the dehydration, Coach."

Brett

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
better than water

Go to a good running store and pick up a pair of Brooks "the beast' running shoes. The surgeons at OCS med clinic actually took them from me and walked around for the rest of the indoc showing them to everyone as 'the perfect OCS shoe' they are really good for curing shin splints, mine have gone and not come back after 3 chronic years of having them
expect to pay 100-$120 but its worth it and they last 4 months for me instead of the usual three you get out of most comparable trainers.

gringo

For shin splints try stretching a lot and take it easy on the running. I started to get them before I shipped and I ended up getting NPQ'd due to stress fractures.

Be able to run distance and sprints. I ran the 3/mile at 22.32 and I was one of the slower ones.

If you get shin splints at OCS you can try to take care of them at night or go on light duty for a day or 2. But that sucks, try to avoid that.

super hornet

Benson said:
. I drink at least a gallon of water a day

dude, if I did that I would have a piss every 15 minutes....but I guess that's better then shin splints

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
super hornet said:
dude, if I did that I would have a piss every 15 minutes....but I guess that's better then shin splints

Well you'll be in quite a pickle. We were recommended to drink 10-12 canteens a day, or 2.5-3 gallons.

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
super hornet said:
I just talking with my gunny and oso and they said to try speed walking, has anyone heard of that working?

I think you should try that at OCS too..
:tongue2_1

KBayDog

super hornet said:
I just talking with my gunny and oso and they said to try speed walking, has anyone heard of that working?

As long as you don't morph into a superhero...

...or subscribe to a certain magazine...

21341862.JPG

..."speed walking" is a great idea. (Just don't walk like one of those competitive speed walkers - something just ain't right about how they walk!) A lot more people do this than you think, but they're good at hiding it. The next time you go to the gym, look at how many people walk briskly on the treadmill.

Walking - speed walking or the regular kind - can be used as a break from, or supplement to, your running. You are not going to get your heart rate up to the same levels as running, of course, but you have the advantage of being able to walk for a longer time than you can normally run. Anything beats sitting on your okole. Also, If Mother Nature is not good enough for you, you can use the time to listen to the study EPs, radio/mp3, talk to your spouse/friends, walk with the mutt, etc.

As a side note, I wear a pedometer every day. It keeps me honest, especially on those days where I seem to be "desk bound." I don't track distance, calories, time, etc. - just steps. They don't lie. I strive to achieve at least the same number of steps each day, whether I spend the day walking all over base or sitting in a classroom for eight hours. (I take it off for PT, though, since I don't want PT to "skew" my normal daily step count.) Just something to think about.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
KBayDog said:
As a side note, I wear a pedometer every day. It keeps me honest, especially on those days where I seem to be "desk bound." I don't track distance, calories, time, etc. - just steps. They don't lie. I strive to achieve at least the same number of steps each day, whether I spend the day walking all over base or sitting in a classroom for eight hours. (I take it off for PT, though, since I don't want PT to "skew" my normal daily step count.) Just something to think about.
Neat idea.