• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shin splints, running, ocs

KBayDog

DocT said:
Am I the only one who always had to take a dump right before runs?

No.

The Marine Corps PFT is the single greatest laxitive known to man. The Pre-PFT trots are (is?) one of the common bonds that unite each and every Marine, from the youngest private to the saltiest general.

Truth: The severity of the impending dump is inversely proportional to the availability of TP.

Truth: The availability of TP is inversely proportional to the number of Marines that need to use it.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
it kinda sucks holding for someone's crunches when that person has to take said dump. Holding for a gaseous person in that position is like having the barrel of a gun right at you.

brickwall

K/1 2004, ?/? 2006
Slammer2 said:
it kinda sucks holding for someone's crunches when that person has to take said dump. Holding for a gaseous person in that position is like having the barrel of a gun right at you.

That, and when, on the three-mile fun run, you get behind someone who's sharing an odor.

Getting behind someone = drafting...yes, you cna draft a run, and yes it does help both your times. I speak from experience. Initial PFT = 22:10, final PFT = 19:58...yes, most of that is attributed to OCS getting me in better shape, but I have a feeling I shaved 2 or 3 seconds off the time. Especially if you swap off (you lead for so long, I lead for so long). Just get in step and run your way to a good score.

kj11

Hey
shin splints suck..sorry about that. I've been a trainer for running teams forever and shin splints are definitely common! ICE ICE ICE!! Shin splints are when the muscle is pulling away from the bone creating swelling in a very tight area! We had our athletes put their legs in buckets of cold waters or a very cold stream for 10 minutes after exercise. This will be incredibly lame but very very helpful and will speed up your recovery. Pack those suckers in ice anyway you can for 10-15 minutes everyday a couple times a day. My husband got them before Marine OCS too and we got rid of them thank God before he left. The other stuff that helps a ton is this stuff called arnica gel! YOu can get it at GNC or any health food store. Good to keep around because it's an all herbal anti-inflammatory ointment (no smell) that works on everything!! It works incredibly well. His platoon used an abnormal amount of it but it helped a lot!! Good luck!!!!!
k

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Some more stuff on shin splints.

fwiw, medial = middle; anterior = outside

shinsplints.jpg

In the picture above of the lower right leg, look to the left side of the picture, near the "1"....the first muscle you see is the tibialis anterior (behind it is the soleus; somewhere behind it is the tibialis posterior). As the muscles travel down the tibia, the accompanying tendons attach in different spots....but both attach at some point on the arch of the foot. The tibialis posterior attaches near the ball of the big toe. As the foot is over stressed, the arch can flatten out a bit and ends up putting stress on either (or both) of the tendons....that stress is manifested in the muscles....which is where you feel the pain.

As many have said, best bet is to warm up slowly...also consider shoes with solid arch support to help prevent overstressing of the tendons.

The most common form is inflammation of the tendon that runs down and behind the inside anklebone and hooks into the inside central portion of the arch. (tibialis posterior) This muscle helps decrease the impact as your foot hits the pavement. If your foot is excessively flat, this muscle can undergo quite a bit of strain and develop problems.

The next most common form of shin splints involves the tibialis anterior tendon. This tendon runs on the front of the leg and inserts onto the top mid portion of the arch. The muscle for this tendon on the outside and upper tibia. If your calf muscle is tight, the injury may be because a tight calf limits ankle motion which causes the foot to hit the pavement harder...leading to fatigue, inflammation and pain.

Stress fractures can also cause shin splints. They usually involve the tibia and is usually diagnoses by lots of pain when pressure is applied to the front of the bone, where it is close to the skin. Sometimes X-rays detect stress fractures...but sometimes other tests are used. The most common test is a radioactive labeled technetium bone scan.....ok, more than you need...I will quit now.