• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shin splints, running, ocs

Bird_Dog322

super hornet mentioned having shin splints, and I know the topic has been hit numerous times. However, my shins, I believe are fine. But near the "shin" area, I have knots that swell and cause much pain when I run or "walk brisk" for a long time. Someone say it could be compartment syndrome? Never heard of it. And trying to go to Juniors in May '06? Any insight from anyone would be of great help.

Semper Fi

super hornet

I actually think it has really helped. I walked and ran 2 miles yesterday and I don't have any pain today. I guess that's why old people like walking...
'

super hornet

KBayDog said:
As long as you don't morph into a superhero...

haha.....It's Bill Nye

thorman

pilot
i ran 2-4 miles a day in shoes and 2-3 every other b4 ocs in boots. i was destroyed b4 i got there (lesson learned) and had a horrible shin splints problem. to get by i used arch supports in my shoes and boots and the problem improved at ocs, but then i had problems with my IT band from all the hills. in the end stretching helped the IT band and the supports cured my shin splints (800mg + of ibuprofen rec'd by my gunny helped too)

Raptor2216

mmx1 said:
Well you'll be in quite a pickle. We were recommended to drink 10-12 canteens a day, or 2.5-3 gallons.

This seems to vary from person to person. I got though both summer sessions drinking about 2 on an average day and maybe 3-5 on a hard day. However, there were also guys who were LOSING more water than their body could replace. Make sure you drink one 1/2-1 canteen in the morning before reville and drink after PT. You'll figure it out one you get there but don't get DQ'd because you weren't smart enough to drink water. I have known of candidates who were given the boot because they had a heat stroke on more than one occasion.

Raptor2216

Bird_Dog322 said:
super hornet mentioned having shin splints, and I know the topic has been hit numerous times. However, my shins, I believe are fine. But near the "shin" area, I have knots that swell and cause much pain when I run or "walk brisk" for a long time. Someone say it could be compartment syndrome? Never heard of it. And trying to go to Juniors in May '06? Any insight from anyone would be of great help.

Semper Fi

Alright, people need to start thinking here. Shin splints are caused by overuse and abuse. You need to stop running for atleast a week or two and let your legs heal. If you keep up the ativity with the pain, it will not heal. If you were at OCS where you need to suck up the pain, then I would understand why you are continuing to run with shin pain. Fortunately for you, you aren't at OCS and you have a ton of time to get ready. Stop running and go bike for an hour or two for the next 2 weeks. Let your legs heal and once they are healed, build up to whatever distance you want to run. Don't start off the first week running 5 miles a day.

Good shoes are an absolute necessity and I suggest you go and get a pair. You will save yourself a lot of unnecessary pain by doing all this.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
In case anyone is looking to buy good shoes and doesn't want to blow $110, try www.onlineshoes.com

I just ordered a pair of Beasts for $79 to replace my worn out Adrenaline's. If you haven't worn Brooks before, go to reputable store and try them on before you order them willy nilly. Fit is everything with these shoes.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
P_ubhi18 said:
This seems to vary from person to person. I got though both summer sessions drinking about 2 on an average day and maybe 3-5 on a hard day. However, there were also guys who were LOSING more water than their body could replace. Make sure you drink one 1/2-1 canteen in the morning before reville and drink after PT. You'll figure it out one you get there but don't get DQ'd because you weren't smart enough to drink water. I have known of candidates who were given the boot because they had a heat stroke on more than one occasion.

I figured the 12 was hyperbole. Still, 2 seems real low. Hell, we were drinking water just to stay awake in class. I think I averaged 6 or so - one before rack time, one to start the day, one after PT, and at least 2 in class, or more if we were in the field.

j04meyer

P_ubhi18 is exactly right. If you are developing shin splints, you need to stop running for a while. The impact from each step is causing little cracks to form on your shins which is the beginning of a stress fracture. If you get stress fractures at OCS, they won't hesitate to send you home. They NPQd after the first day of PT at the winter cycle that is there right now because he showed up with shin splints which turned out to by a stress fracture in his shins. He didn't tell them during in-processing and he found out after the first day of PT that he wasn't going to be able to just suck it up for the next 10 weeks. So, my advice is to stay off of your feet as much as possible for a couple weeks. Just get on a stationary bike for about 30 minutes a day instead of running. Then go to runnersworld.com and find a specialty running shoe store near you. There they will tell you the shoe that is best for your body, foot, and stride. It won't cost you any extra and it could be the same shoe you would buy at foot locker, but it will be the one specifically for you.

xCOLEx

Calcium uptake is vital in preventing shin splints. Make sure you're getting what's required. Make sure you warm up and stretch before a run. Getting a gym membership and working in one leg's group in addition to a normal routine has helped me alot with endurance and flexibility. Also ask your OSO or whomever your contracting through about the Bulldogs ocs prep course. It might be something indigenous to the U of U, but I imagine other schools offer it as well.

xCOLEx

mmx1 said:
I figured the 12 was hyperbole. Still, 2 seems real low. Hell, we were drinking water just to stay awake in class. I think I averaged 6 or so - one before rack time, one to start the day, one after PT, and at least 2 in class, or more if we were in the field.

When do you find the time to take a leak?:confused:

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
F-bomb said:
When do you find the time to take a leak?:confused:

0430 before lights. Occasionally we'd be allowed a head call prior to a run (not a great idea; real crowded and harried). During class. before/after chow.

And then there's of course:

GOOD AFTERNOON STAFF SERGEANT, CANDIDATE XUE REQUESTS PERMISSION TO SPEAK TO STAFF SERGEANT L

CANDIDATE XUE REQUESTS PERMISSION TO MAKE A HEAD CALL, STAFF SERGEANT

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Am I the only one who always had to take a dump right before runs? I think that is directly related to the fact that my company always ate chow right before PT.

Just so you know:there's never any $hit paper in the field head by the seniors PT field.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
DocT said:
Am I the only one who always had to take a dump right before runs? I think that is directly related to the fact that my company always ate chow right before PT.

Just so you know:there's never any $hit paper in the field head by the seniors PT field.

I got my schedule down to an 0420 dump like clockwork. Real easy on the guts. Chow before PT? That's rough. We did that once or twice and it was no fun. It was always awesome to work up and appetite and have chow to look forward to.

Guy in my platoon ran a 25 minute intermediate PFT because he had to make an emergency head call in the middle.

Edit: Why does every conversation have to head for the ****ter?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
mmx1 said:
Edit: Why does every conversation have to head for the ****ter?

Because so much of your OCS performance is directly related to the health of your bowels. I tell you what...no where was my time management ability tested more then when I had to $hit at inopportune times at OCS.

Now after lights out...few things gave as much joy than to relax in the head and just take my time. It was almost like libo...poop libo.