• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shave chit affecting flight status?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I’ll be the crotchety old fuck that says it.

The variability of dudes and how they can grow beards, I’m glad we have a policy that keeps people from growing one. Guys that grow patchy, thin beards, or scraggly, or whatever, how do you regulate that? It looks like shit and I can guarantee if beards were allowed you’d have a bunch of dudes looking like ass.

There is something to be said about looking sharp and squared away. Eliminating beards helps keep that sharp, overall appearance.
Other countries don't seem to have a problem with it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Other countries don't seem to have a problem with it.

Yeah, we aren’t other countries.

Like I said, I’m a crotchety old fuck and I think it’s a good policy. I don’t think a change for guys with skin issues is a good change though.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
How well do they perform their jobs?

I mean, why have any uniform rules? You wanna wear a tutu and flip flops in the office, but you’re the best damn yeoman out there, fuck it right?

Dress codes and grooming standards are a good thing.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I mean, why have any uniform rules? You wanna wear a tutu and flip flops in the office, but you’re the best damn yeoman out there, fuck it right?
Dude...

At a recent CNAF conference the attendees were asked to get into small groups and discuss standard(s) enforcement: whose job is it to enforce standards; who determines which standards are important; which standards can be disregarded (or less regarded), and so on. In my estimation, if the standard has nothing to do with my squadron’s ability to execute its primary mission, then I don’t have the time or attention to dedicate toward it. Pick your battles. And if you just can’t resist, then try not to pick battles that disproportionately affect specific sub groups of your population.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Dude...

At a recent CNAF conference the attendees were asked to get into small groups and discuss standard(s) enforcement: whose job is it to enforce standards; who determines which standards are important; which standards can be disregarded (or less regarded), and so on. In my estimation, if the standard has nothing to do with my squadron’s ability to execute its primary mission, then I don’t have the time or attention to dedicate toward it. Pick your battles. And if you just can’t resist, then try not to pick battles that disproportionately affect specific suof your population.

I’m not saying the change of the medical beard policy is smart, or a good idea.

I do think that holding to a policy of no beards for the masses is good. Reference my previous post as to why.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
When every crew can fly the mission perfectly , when every upgrader is qualified, when every plane is 100% FMC across the board, when every maintenance action is logged appropriately, when every piece of necessary equipment/gear has been procured and trained to proficiency, when everyone in the command maxes out their PT scores, when FNET scores the squadron 100% in every vertical, when there are no more fly weekends, when the flight schedule is released every day before 1400, and when there are no legal cases pending in the squadron...that is the day I will give a shit about the state of other people's facial hair. Until then - there are more important things to worry about.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
MEH. Grooming standards and uniform regulations. Who needs them?

See pictures below for future Naval uniform and grooming standards. Also, read the Blueberries thread if you want to examine what happens when you throw caution to the wind.

Attachments

• Hipster-1.jpg
    Hipster-1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Dude.jpg
    Dude.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 18

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Dress codes and grooming standards are a good thing.
3UNfXtw.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is something to be said about looking sharp and squared away. Eliminating beards helps keep that sharp, overall appearance.
According to your preconceived notions of what's "professional." YUT YUT HOOYAH!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I'd rather have scraggly beards than fat bodies
I'm pretty something similar was said...then this was created for the Army. Every piece of equipment you see in use (plus some) is required to conduct this new test. Be careful what you ask for. And if you are an O6 and above, be careful before you inflict something on your people.

I seriously think people need to try to resist changing things, especially when there is little documented true need for it. Change can be good, when needed. It is not good just because someone wants it.

Change the grooming standards. Change the uniform regs…so you can wear rainbow patches on your uniform...I'm lookin at you US Navy. Create a digital camo that is ridiculous (Army & Navy...maybe even Air Force). Our military and government keeps looking for problems to fit a desired solution.

The examples I have personally witnessed sporting no-shave chits represent at least a 5:1 dirtbag to well maintained ratio. YMMV.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

It is interesting in that the same conversation that is happening here happened on a nuke site I am on, big surprise most nukes would prefer not to shave, but as it turns out many of those that are now working in civilian nuke plants can grow beards and such, but twice a year they have to be clean shaven for fitting/refitting of mask.