• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shave chit affecting flight status?

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Dude. There’s an office at PERS that specializes in this type of thing. They handed us a template for how to proceed. Multiple JAG reviews. The is no ADSEP board.

I really wish people would stop citing JAGs as proof something is ok. The vast majority are usually bested during administrative proceedings by legally uneducated and uninterested URL officers with 7 minutes of preparation who didnt even stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really wish people would stop citing JAGs as proof something is ok. The vast majority are usually bested during administrative proceedings by legally uneducated and uninterested URL officers with 7 minutes of preparation who didnt even stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.
Perhaps Nittany would have been a better option to do the legal review.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Yeah, the safety razor is the bomb. Just practice with it on an arm or leg before you dive in on your face. There are some good tutorials online to help. You can't go wrong with the merkur classic.

For your neck the best you can do is figure out how the grain goes; and it's not necessarily straight up and down. I shave my neck at different angles depending on where I am on my neck.

Good luck and getting a no shave chit to let your neck recover for a week or so might not be a bad idea. The about masks , as others have pointed out, is kind of Hokum/tradition these days. It has it's roots in WWI when gas masks were made with far more primitive material that made getting a good seal much harder so the clean face was more important. Modern materials make most of those old requirements moot (like a cows opinion @Jim123 ).

Getting a chit to do with a temporary medical condition isn't a huge deal. If it becomes more of a long term deal then such is life. You might as well say glasses are unprofessional.

Hijacking my thread back from the great fat boy/admin debate...

The safety razor is by far the best shave I've ever gotten, I'm working through some different blades to find what works. The wider cutting edge reduces the number of strokes and the weight helps with getting the pressure right.

The shave isn't all that close and stuble is noticeable but that's probaly what helps with the bumps. Then again the CO saw me at the end of a 24hr SDO and didn't seem to mind that I looked like I hadn't shaved in 3 days.

Thanks for the susgestions @Pags !

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The ban on beards is stupid, but we’ve always tried to mold our standards around some weird 1950’s Boy Scout ideal.

Thankfully the tattoo restrictions are being relaxed (because there is zero correlation between skin art and the ability to lead) and we finally recognized that trying to make women look like men is also stupid, thus the hair standards relaxation.

Time to bring back the beard.

For the record, I can’t grow a beard...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Every ship that ever deployed sells MWR No-Shave chits...but come hell or high water we're going to protect the shore duty warriors back home who really need that gas mask to seal...

Mos

None
I see a lot of bearded sailors, most of them black, who look like bums. Maybe if the Navy permitted and normalized facial hair, providing regs and guidance on grooming them, the optics would be less of a problem.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I’ll be the crotchety old fuck that says it.

The variability of dudes and how they can grow beards, I’m glad we have a policy that keeps people from growing one. Guys that grow patchy, thin beards, or scraggly, or whatever, how do you regulate that? It looks like shit and I can guarantee if beards were allowed you’d have a bunch of dudes looking like ass.

There is something to be said about looking sharp and squared away. Eliminating beards helps keep that sharp, overall appearance.