• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service member being an idiot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure both of those are illegal. In fact, I know spice is, if not federally then in many states it is. So while it "wasn't" for a while, it was only a matter of time before the legislative inertia caught up and your point became moot.
Now it is, but it was legal a couple years ago and big Navy put out a memo to clarify its policy and affirm that Sailors who consumed this otherwise legal product would be held accountable under the existing DoD drug policy.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
o
Like I said, good idea on paper, but the reason so many "good ideas" get shot down (as you lament) is because people who suggest them may not have considered the second and third order effects. That's normal and completely understandable. The things that NAVPERS actual has in his scan are probably way outside what you think about. I've just illustrated a couple reasons why clamping down on entry requirements may not be as good an idea as it might sound. Magic screening formula notwithstanding, it's tough to make realistic recommendations about big picture issues when you're looking through the soda straw of your JO tour.
Ah, yes. If only I could have such an in-depth understanding of 2nd and 3rd order effects, then I'd reach the obvious conclusion to impose a blanket curfew and limit on drinking past 2200 for grown adults. It takes 20 years to develop that level of problem solving ability and JOs like me don't belong at that table.

I wonder what NAVPERS will do when he has a shortfall in manning because few of his Sailors who served in Japan reenlist.

In all seriousness, when Flag officers demonstrate competence in solving these problems beyond blanket restrictions, you can use YCS as an argument. Until then, you might as well have Ensigns trying to figure this out.

This prob has prob always been there, but there hasn't been the technology to publicize it until relatively recently.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Now it is, but it was legal a couple years ago and big Navy put out a memo to clarify its policy and affirm that Sailors who consumed this otherwise legal product would be held accountable under the existing DoD drug policy.
I'm left wondering why a commander can't ban alcohol completely as a lawful order, under the precept that alcohol is otherwise legal in all respects, but he can ban spice.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all seriousness, when Flag officers demonstrate competence in solving these problems beyond blanket restrictions, you can use YCS as an argument. Until then, you might as well have Ensigns trying to figure this out.
I'm sure that's a common sentiment, but I'm sure even you can appreciate the absurdity of criticizing the performance of someone doing a job you have zero experience at. I invite you to present your concerns about Flag Officer competence at the next flag panel you attend and see what kind of reaction you get. I'm not going to defend all the actions of our leadership, but to think that you have all the answers after spending a few years in the Navy is pretty amusing. It's laughable.

MasterBates

Sometimes someone needs to tell the Emperor that he's naked.

I've seen far too many good ideas poo-pooed by the "leadership" because "you are only a LT, PO2, LCDR, CPO".

Our leadership is often just management, and poor management at that. There is way too much CYA and far too little "Follow me!"

But I must have no right to an opinion, because I got out as a "non hacker LT"

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
o
I'm sure that's a common sentiment, but I'm sure even you can appreciate the absurdity of criticizing the performance of someone doing a job you have zero experience at. I invite you to present your concerns about Flag Officer competence at the next flag panel you attend and see what kind of reaction you get. I'm not going to defend all the actions of our leadership, but to think that you have all the answers after spending a few years in the Navy is pretty amusing. It's laughable.
If I were criticizing them for how to best employ a CSG or the strategic importance of a shipping lane, you'd have a point. But we're not talking about that; we're talking about personnel management. That is something that everyone over the rank of E-5 has experience with. And granted an E-5 doesn't factor the desires of a Senate commitee into his calculus, but maybe that's a good thing.

I don't have all the answers, merely a suggestion... one which you dismissed immediately because I don't wear a silver leaf or higher to duty everyday.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So by that logic, anyone who has been through PO indoc is qualified to run NPC. I hope you don't really believe that. You can disagree with the positions that leadership takes, but to reduce the level of education and experience required for these jobs to "basic personnel management" that you learned in BOLT-C is as laughable as the rest of your ideas on this topic. I just wish that we could have you magically trade jobs with a two star so I could watch the look of terror on your face as you realize how in over your head you are.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sometimes someone needs to tell the Emperor that he's naked.

I've seen far too many good ideas poo-pooed by the "leadership" because "you are only a LT, PO2, LCDR, CPO".

Our leadership is often just management, and poor management at that. There is way too much CYA and far too little "Follow me!"

My current job has allowed me to peek behind the curtain a bit (even more so than as a DH who "already quit once") and as a result, I've been privy to a bunch of O-5s giving an Admiral an earful about how out of whack some things are. The interesting part is when the Admiral and his staff completely agree but don't have the juice to push something as quick as everyone would like (but are still pushing).

But I must have no right to an opinion, because I got out as a "non hacker LT"

Having an opinion is one thing (and lord knows I've given mine to my front office numerous times), but you have to at least admit to yourself that you may not have all the details or perspective. I'm certain I didn't as a LT (and certainly even now).

magnetfreezer

I'm left wondering why a commander can't ban alcohol completely as a lawful order, under the precept that alcohol is otherwise legal in all respects, but he can ban spice.
He certainly can do either. See CENTCOM GO1 or ask any of the Navy folk going through the Army EST/CST/whatever it's called now before going on an IA and not being able to drink, wear civies, or drive POVs in their time off stateside.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
He certainly can do either. See CENTCOM GO1 or ask any of the Navy folk going through the Army EST/CST/whatever it's called now before going on an IA and not being able to drink, wear civies, or drive POVs in their time off stateside.
Deployment rules are different. Commanders have a lot more leeway with what is necessary to accomplish the mission. A commander INCONUS cannot ban alcohol.

MasterBates

Having an opinion is one thing (and lord knows I've given mine to my front office numerous times), but you have to at least admit to yourself that you may not have all the details or perspective. I'm certain I didn't as a LT (and certainly even now).

I may not have all the details or perspectives, but I can also see when things are obviously not working.

I've stuck my neck out when it was the right thing to do.. Many at the CO and above level won't/don't/can't. Glad to see you have seen them doing it.

jtmedli

pilot
THAT was more my point. The military will never let it be legal, but why?? If not for flyers, then what about office rats? They don't have a critical need to be at 100% the day after indulgence (just like I'm sure many of them show up to work with a hangover and never get caught). So, is it just a matter of intoxication period?

It already takes 30-45 days to get paid for DITY move, 45 mins to get seen at Medical, and 4.5 hours to get someone from NMCI to answer the phone. Do you really want to argue that we oughta be letting Bob Marley run the show 'round these parts?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I can. Look at the trouble commands have gotten into trying to ban tobacco. Once it's is legal it's legal, at that point the DoD would have to study the effects and determine what is feasible from a performance standpoint and determine policy accordingly just like they have done with alchohol.

Did I miss something? When the fuck did we try to ban tobacco?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Just as an FYI, military-wide drug testing started as a result of a Prowler crashing into the USS Nimitz in 1981 and several deck crewman killed were subsequently found to have used marijuana (talked about on page 45 of the JAGMAN).

I realize this book is fiction, but the author is a retired O-6, who's son was a Navy-turned-USCG helo pilot so my point may be based in fact.
In it, the author wrote that sailors could be kicked off a ship for drugs, but the command had to gap the billet. So, you could get rid of them, but eventually you'll run out of personnel to run the ship.
I realize my source is a work of fiction, but I was hoping some of the old-hands can verify or debunk this.