• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Assignment

ND12

did anyone else have a nuke draft at their units?

We did. See my post in the "I want to be a pilot... not a SWO-N" thread for my story. Two other guys who had pilot as their first choice (and were surely qualified) got subs, their fourth choice.

ND12

yeah man they picked up a few of our guys who wanted pilot..any chance you can get out of it?

Hard to say. We have a new CO this year so I'm not sure. I know our old one would have tried to appeal it. Plus, he's a sub guy and there's a lot of pressure on ND to produce nukes for some reason. E-mailed our XO who's a FO and waiting to hear back from him. Hoping he can go to bat for me and convince the CO to convince others that I don't belong in the nuke community. So we'll see.

Of course, when the Admiral asks me "Why do you want to be in the nuclear Navy?" I could always say "Well, Admiral... I don't." But then I'd most likely get a conventional SWO spot.

Been a rough week to say the least.

mid1510

Hard to say. We have a new CO this year so I'm not sure. I know our old one would have tried to appeal it. Plus, he's a sub guy and there's a lot of pressure on ND to produce nukes for some reason. E-mailed our XO who's a FO and waiting to hear back from him. Hoping he can go to bat for me and convince the CO to convince others that I don't belong in the nuke community. So we'll see.

Of course, when the Admiral asks me "Why do you want to be in the nuclear Navy?" I could always say "Well, Admiral... I don't." But then I'd most likely get a conventional SWO spot.

If it doesn't work out, and you're dead set on going aviation, it's probably better to go swo and try to lat transfer in a couple of years rather than fulfill your commitment as a swo (n).

Good luck man. I'll let you know if my buddies have any luck in the process of re-designating.

ND12

If it doesn't work out, and you're dead set on going aviation, it's probably better to go swo and try to lat transfer in a couple of years rather than fulfill your commitment as a swo (n).

Good luck man. I'll let you know if my buddies have any luck in the process of re-designating.

Yeah that was my plan; should have made it clearer. I just meant to say that I'll most likely get a SWO spot post-interview rather than pilot or FO. I'm more than willing to put in some time on a ship if it keeps my hopes of aviation alive.

'Preciate you keeping me updated on your classmates. What unit are you at?

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
There is a reason you hear it over and over and over again.

When you get to primary are you going to try harder if you know your NSS is low? Are you going to slack off if you know its high?
If the answer is yes, I wouldn't want to fly with you

Does it matter what the GPA of this year's SNAs are?

NO. Because things change year over year so drastically. The average GPA this year could be exactly the same as last year. OR it could be completely different. Also consider that sometimes it doesn't matter at all what your GPA was or your major. I was selected for pilot with a history degree. Yet for the same commissioning year (Dec. 08) I know people at other schools who had higher GPAs in engineering programs, with higher ASTB scores who ended up SWO and NFO.

So before you get all ass chapped about someone telling you to just do your best and not worry about other people, make sure your seeing the whole picture.

I scored a
9/9/9 67 ASTB...
3.37 in Systems Engineering.

Doesn't mean we can't converse with other people for friendly conversation. It's interesting information to know and generally is a decent indicator of the next FY's selection. No need to send demeaning responses, that message was intended for those who were interested in this years selected SNA's and there scores. A proud moment for the new SNA's to display what they have worked hard for and to give us a rough estimate of what has been accepted in the prior FY. Please don't change this to a negative discussion, thanks.

Joe Smith

We had a kid in my NROTC unit get selected nuke and he fought it. It is an ALL volunteer force. They can't make you interview or volunteer. This kid winged a month ago.

81montedriver

pilot
There is a reason you hear it over and over and over again.

When you get to primary are you going to try harder if you know your NSS is low? Are you going to slack off if you know its high?
If the answer is yes, I wouldn't want to fly with you

Does it matter what the GPA of this year's SNAs are?

NO. Because things change year over year so drastically. The average GPA this year could be exactly the same as last year. OR it could be completely different. Also consider that sometimes it doesn't matter at all what your GPA was or your major. I was selected for pilot with a history degree. Yet for the same commissioning year (Dec. 08) I know people at other schools who had higher GPAs in engineering programs, with higher ASTB scores who ended up SWO and NFO.

So before you get all ass chapped about someone telling you to just do your best and not worry about other people, make sure your seeing the whole picture.

I would normally agree with you. However since it seems that the majority of folks responding on this thread are prospective SNA's, I'd say take it easy. They are just discussing between each other seeing what backgrounds everyone came from and how successful they were with their respective majors and other stats. We're not here to haze or dogpile, unless someone does something stupid or embarassing and this definately doesn't qualify as such.

For the rest of you, Statesman is right. Things do change very drastically year to year. Simple but good advice, do your best and stay motivated at all times. If you don't get selected, keep trying until they don't let you apply anymore. Try your best to get good grades, be involved in sports and clubs and maybe even do some community service. In the end it's all about what the needs of the service are. If they don't need people they will take the dude with the highest of everything, simple as that.

Hawk12

None
We had a guy select 1390, his 5th choice. 4th was SWO. The board is simply unpredictable!

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
We had a guy select 1390, his 5th choice. 4th was SWO. The board is simply unpredictable!

I heard that as well, I have a couple of friends that are in the KU unit! He must have been in the top tier of individual scores for the ASTB or GPA to get pulled for something like that. Any of the details?

Flynn and Berges btw . . . Maybe you are one of them!

Hawk12

None
I heard that as well, I have a couple of friends that are in the KU unit! He must have been in the top tier of individual scores for the ASTB or GPA to get pulled for something like that. Any of the details?

Flynn and Berges btw . . . Maybe you are one of them!
I know Flynn and try not to acknowledge Berges (talking to him on FB as we speak, sadly), he's too much of a troll. Berges' response: "Damnit Jenkins".

I beleive his scores were around 6/6/6 and under a 3.0. So, I guess it can happen! His first three choices were a few of the lat transfer SWOs and his restricted line option.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
I know Flynn and try not to acknowledge Berges (talking to him on FB as we speak, sadly), he's too much of a troll. Berges' response: "Damnit Jenkins".

I beleive his scores were around 6/6/6 and under a 3.0. So, I guess it can happen! His first three choices were a few of the lat transfer SWOs and his restricted line option.

love it.

PM001

None
So now that service selection is all set, I was wondering if anyone has heard any word on if people will be put on IRR while waiting to head down to Pensacola this summer?