• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Usually send you after winging since they don't want to injure you and have you set back a class in flight school. Messes up their through put. Sound like a reason to be scared?

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Correct me if I had some bad gouge, but this is what I read on the internet:

You can go to SERE training at the USAFA during one of your summers if you go to the USAF academy. They also invite a number of cadets/midshipmen from USMA and USNA, and some from ROTC units.

I'd be really interested to know when an aspiring aviator would undergo this training if they weren't a cadet/midshipmen in these programs.

http://www.usafa.af.mil/pa/factsheets/sere.htm
http://www.training.sfahq.com/survival_training.htm

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Viv:

Yes, they do send mids (and cadets) from both the academy and if you can swing it, from ROTC. The sucky part about it is that you have to go through SERE. The good part is once you've been through (and can prove
icon_smile_wink.gif
), you don't have to do it again. Like it's been said, though, usually it's either after your winging or after the RAG (when I went). Obviously there's anomolies, as like I said, there were some SNFOs in my class. I remember being curled up on top of one trying to hide in a bush while "Ivan" was walking by out side <shudder>.
icon_smile.gif

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
So this is training on what to do and how to survive if you went down behind enemy lines? Sounds like a rip-roaring good time, hehe. Since this is done after winging, has anyone lost their wings due to not being able to make it through this part of training? Or do they just recycle them through it again?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Av Fan

They dont do Resistance at the AF Academy. Not allowed to. They do everything else though. So when its your time to go to SERE you only have to do the "R" part. The other folks kind of hate it because the academy folks show up like 2 weeks later than everyone else all "fat" and rested, while their peers have thinned out and are tired from doing the other stuff.

Victory favors the bold

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by wildflyin69
So this is training on what to do and how to survive if you went down behind enemy lines? Sounds like a rip-roaring good time, hehe. Since this is done after winging, has anyone lost their wings due to not being able to make it through this part of training? Or do they just recycle them through it again?

It's pretty hard to "lose your wings," at least in the Navy. Pretty much you have to really screw up and/or kill someone. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll ever fly again...

Yes, there are people who become NPQ'd due to some injury they incur at SERE. I've heard a rumor that ADM Stockdale's original mindset was that if they lose (read: someone dies) a person once a year, that's an acceptable loss. Obviously that's not the case now.

Now, that all said, it's really not that hard, it just really sucks. If you listen to what's taught in the classroom, you'll go a long way. That includes such things as "don't run, you'll trip and hurt yourself." Even then, you find reasons to "move expeditiosly."

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Sounds like a good ole' challenge. I'm up for it, and ready to experience the "Life of HELL". I can't wait!!

D

kevin

i think if people survive as REAL pow's for years on end, you should be able to survive for a couple of weeks in a scaled down version. at the very least you know they are not at any moment going to pull out a handgun and blow a hole in your head. my take is if you "deserve" to fly a military jet, you ought to be able to deal with it. imho.

jrklr

WTF? broken ribs? do they really want to make millions of dollars in training worthless? please, no details, but are they seriously trying to kill you? I dont mind trying to pass the most intensive training they can give, but if they have people attempting to injur you physically, thats messed up. Oh well, I hope those few NPQ's they cause are worth having the rest of the fleet ready for behind enemy lines.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The answer, jklr, is no, they're not trying to hurt you. Sometimes things just happen, and sometimes students don't follow the few rules out there, and hurt themselves. It really is outstanding training...and I'm not one of those hooyah SEAL wannabes.

Mike26

Ok, I think I have my anwser, but just wanted to confirm, if I received my SERE training in the AF and can prove it I will not have to repeat the training while in the Navy? Does anyone know?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think there's a letter of agreement or something that let's you get out of jail free (literally). Obviously FASO can tell you, but I think you're alright. I'd give FASO a call and ask. I don't have their link here, but you can start at www.nasni.navy.mil and try and find it from there.

RotorResQ

Dont forget your PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) and have fun with it. I enjoyed it but I havent been camping in the 6yrs since.

beau

There's an actual acronym for Positive Mental Attitude? Now, that sounds like some College BS to me!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.