• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE Training...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that part of the AF pilot process is SERE training, and I assume NA's go through it too. Anybody been through it and can tell me how nasty/disgusting it is? Thanks.

NuSnake

its a classified school...youre not gonna get too much out of anyone
I recommend "In The Company of Heros" by CW4 Michael Durant(ret.)
he was the pilot from black hawk down, he wrote this book and it is freakin awesome, it has a section on SERE school in it thats pretty cool.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not so much classified as need to know. So you won't (or shouldn't) get any detailed info on the subject. I will tell you this though, I didn't enjoy it and don't want to do it again. Especially for real.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I second Bunk's comment. Not the best time I've ever had, and I don't want to do it again, however, it's probably the best Navy training I've ever had.

Like it's been said, the school is sensative material, as they want every class to experience the school for themselves. What can be said is the general curriculum. The first week is classroom stuff, including survival training (much more than you get in flight school), first aid, and finally, resistance techniques (which is the confidential stuff). Then the second week is going to the desert (or where ever they go in Maine) and you survive, evade, resist, and escape. The details are the fun part. [:)]

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know what you guys experience these days, and don't expect details for all the above reasons. But when I was a guest of a SERE camp in the early 80s I had a rib cracked and heard grown men scream. It turely is the best training you will ever hate. Take it seriously!

knowles206

Naa, don't take it seriously that is what gets people all soft and scared. remember the code of conduct and use every opertunity to your advantage.
blindfold_125.gif
Play the Game.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hear ya, wink. I had a sore rib for about 4 months. I never really had time nor bothered to go have it looked at, but I think it was when Boris the 6'4" blond guy "taught me a lesson." He must have been a BM or ABH
icon_smile_wink.gif

FYI, I had several SNFOs come through SERE w/ me. They hadn't started Advanced, but were going to SERE. Kind of weird, but guess the Navy was just trying to use their time effectively.

scared_125.gif

You guys are scaring the bejeezus out of me. OK if it's classified, I guess it's whatever. The one thing that's bugging me(no pun intended) is...do you have to eat bugs?

Snakes, rabbits, and squirrels are fine by me, but I got a thing about bugs, ya know what I mean? :)

Av Fan

Man, from the stuff Ive heard from folks that have been, bugs are the least of your worry. Beetles taste like peanuts when you roast em anyways. Just gotta pop the head and legs off before you eat em. The legs get stuck in your throat. Have fun.

Victory favors the bold

WFU2USN

I have a friend who's an NFO that went through SERE out in California a few months ago. It was after winging and on her way to her training squadron. She had to sign a letter of nondisclosure and said it sucked, but she survived.

:) IS2(SCW)

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

Status
Not open for further replies.