• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

rookie7734

None
I went to Warner Springs, before reporting to my squadron. In June it got plenty cold at night in those mountains. And the critters were pretty hunted out. That rattle snake really did taste like chicken.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
And the critters were pretty hunted out. That rattle snake really did taste like chicken.

Yeah...no critters. However we found a big bag of food someone had stashed. Apparently not EVERYTHING you find you get to keep. But just not eating for the 6 days or whatever is easier...the hunger goes away and then you don't have to worry about it.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah, out West we were told that stashing food or having friends do it for you was a no-no. And not a "we'll take your food away" no-no, it was a "we'll send you home w/ a big F and you can explain it to your CO" no-no. The current SERE West CO does not play reindeer games (nor should anyone expect him to, really).

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I don't think you can really plan where to stash food. We were just hiking one day, crawling through some bushes, and there it was. Our instructor took it away and that was that. It wasn't a big deal - besides getting to see snickers, twix, peanut butter crackers, etc and having thoughts of food the rest of the day.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Oh, I know two SEALs who did. They got all the coordinates for various points from guys who had gone through the week before, set up a ton of caches, and had so much food they started doing weird crap like sneaking into people's snow caves and shoving cheetos in their nostrils.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, as someone who missed out on a good deal during SERE because some people couldn't keep their trap shut about what they knew about SERE... Ixnay on the SERE talk guys. I know no one has crossed any NDA lines, but enough has been said in this thread.

Back to the original question or kindly move along.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Oh, I know two SEALs who did. They got all the coordinates for various points from guys who had gone through the week before, set up a ton of caches, and had so much food they started doing weird crap like sneaking into people's snow caves and shoving cheetos in their nostrils.

Hehehe, nice! We had a handful of SEALs in my class. Real sharp people who happened did a few funny things that were clearly for amusement (ours and theirs). I remember a couple of them felling an already half rotten tree by using a small log for leverage, rather than gathering kindling and fuel like the rest of us... but hey, now I can honestly say I have seen Navy SEALs take down trees with their bear hands.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't get the stamp for Brunswick in February; 6" per day average snowfall, with one 14" night. That was awesome.

The rest of you are all a bunch of wusses, I got the cold weather qual after enduring the worst ice storm in Maine's history. Pure fucking awesomeness.

Ace_Austin

pilot
98-99 Ice Storm, didn't see the inside of my school for 5 weeks because of the power outages. Wasn't too cold during the storm itself (Hence why it all fell as ice.) But a few days afterwords it got down toward the -10 area and stayed that way. I am supprised they still ran classes with the state in the shape it was in.

Casual

Jammin'
None
Apparently the SEALs have gotten their own SERE school, according to the SERE WEST instructors. They were pretty happy to not have to deal with the SEAL antics anymore, I guess.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enough. As with every SERE thread, this is going the wrong direction. Locked.

runnr_usmc

Do all Marine pilots go to S.E.R.E. School?

I've heard they all do, but not sure if it's true. I check in to TBS at the end of April and have an air contract, and I know SERE is not something I need to be worrying about now, but I haven't been able to find any info on who's required to go.