• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
We should dedicate a thread to Otto and call it, "Just ask Otto"

You will be gauranteed an answer! (accuracy may vary)

8DCF6AFFCC7D7C4D87BFFD17357598.jpg

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
SERE School

So, I have been wondering and not able to find anything about SERE school. Are NA's required to do it still? Where does that fit in the whole training pipeline thing? Or is that an on your own schedule type requirement after you hit the fleet?
Thanks. I ask here because I am thinking that I want to fly Helos and I can't figure out where else to post this.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes, Naval Aviators are still required to do it. It can happen at various times in the pipeline, but the majority go either between advanced and the rag or immediately following the rag.

PSU3333

None
I'm an E-2 NFO and our community tries their best to send you to SERE before you class up. For NFO's, that is before you start Advanced and for Pilots it is before you start the FRS. Depending on class-up dates and people some have to wait until they complete the program and head to SERE enroute to their fleet tour. With Brunswick closing, not sure what the status is for future SERE classes there (I went in February, coldest experience of my life). The other option is Warner Springs, California.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, as a matter of fact, if you look at my profile, I am applying. But I assume you are being *sarcastic*. I also did not know that general curiousity about things was a crime in this country... Noted.

971c19f3.gif

Meowwwww...hissssss.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Marines can expect to do it a little later, if at all. Only a few will likely do it around the FRS. A lot more will go after some time in the fleet. I went after my first deployment, for example, and at least half of my peer group didn't go at all. Which makes it a great chance to be the class SRO or XO, with all the "bennies" that entails. As always, the Corps is cheap, cheap, cheap. The irony is that most Marine platforms likely have a higher chance of being shot down, and a guest of the enemy, than most platforms in other services.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It's a navy school. They get first dibs on the seats. The USMC gets what's left over. It's not a money issue.

It is ironic that every MH-60 guy gets a slot and Marine pilots are maybe 50/50. We send almost all tacair guys and as many chopper dudes, etc. as we can. At least if they go down they'll at least have company, like a squad or so of grunts.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Proportionately speaking, very few 60 pilots do, whereas almost every USMC squadron will send its entire compliment into either Iraq or Afghanistan during a pilot's tour there.

Cobras and hueys won't be carrying anyone with them, and on either the insert or extract, the assaults will likely have no one other than the crew onboard either. Plus, the air defense systems on the ground in either theater now aren't likely to shoot down a jet, whereas they can and have shot down helos.

I'd say the platforms most likely to need SERE in the naval services are Marine helos, whose crews are ironically the least likely to get the training.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They have been sending all USMC NFOs to the aforementioned training...Maybe it's a TACAIR thing?

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Navy: 50-50 either after winging or after FRS (I went after wings before FRS). Marine Corps? Ironic or not... maybe the same as the Navy, maybe never?