• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
When I did API (in the age of the dinosaur), there was a one-week survival course built into API. Two or three classroom days plus two days in the field. This was strictly non-hostile environment training. I'm not sure if they still do this.

SERE is geared toward hostile-environment survival (and some other fun training). This comes after wings. Probably before or during the FRS.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
SFgirl,

Just noticed that you are applying USMC. You might do SERE later than what I wrote earlier. My SERE class had USMC pilots who were already well into thier first fleet tour.

SFgirl

OK- thanks for the info guys... If anyone has been through, could they PM me? I have a really small and most likely insignificant question, but at the same time don't want to post it in a public forum...

SFgirl

Prince'sPancake said:
Are you even commissioned yet?

No, as a matter of fact, if you look at my profile, I am applying. But I assume you are being *sarcastic*. I also did not know that general curiousity about things was a crime in this country... Noted.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
dont forget..most things about SERE are not going to be public knowledge. They want you find out about it yourself. That means that you wont get much out of someone that went there. There was a good article about it in the last or earlier All Hands magazine..if you can get your hands on it.

Bevo16

pilot
SERE is the best training that you will ever hate.

It is 5 days of death by power point followed by 6+ days in the field. In the field, you practice what you learned in class. Nobody ever dies in SERE, so how bad could it be?

There are all kinds of people that qualify for SERE. Pilots, FO's, and other aircrew make up most of the class but there are also INTEL and Special Warfare guys mixed in. If you are a Navy pilot, you will go to SERE either before your FRS or right after your FRS. I do know of one guy who went to SERE early when he was stashed. I don't know why you would want to do it that way, but I guess it would be modivating for the rest of your time in flight school. There is no way that I would want to go to SERE for nothing.

If nothing else, SERE is a unique experince that will either make you tougher or let you know how tough you really are.

vt9Jack

There are no real secrets to SERE. Its the best and most miserable training I've ever received. Its not fun and its not meant to be. You will learn a lot about yourself and realize that you are, in most cases, a lot tougher than you think.

San Diego in the summer or Brunswick in the winter, pick your poison. I went to the lovely Werner Springs in the summer and lost twenty pounds in just over five days.

I went after flight school and before checking into the RAG, that is the most common timeline these days. Whatever the case you MUST have attended before deploying with a fleet squadron.

You wont, at least you shouldn't find anyone on here who is going to give you too many details of the training. You're doing yourself a disservice if you go into the course thinking you know what is going to happen. Everyone always wants to get the gouge, understandable, but trust me on this one, just apply what they teach you in the course and you'll be just fine.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
SERE School?

I have heard mentions of SERE School on the boards. So, what is SERE? Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Survival Evasion Resistance Escape

Learn how to survive in a hostile environment (Injun country), evade the enemy, resist the enemy once captured, and escape from the enemy.

I haven't been yet and I'll let the guys who have fill you in on more.

HazeGray

Smoke On!
I went to SERE school and all i got out of it was this lousy t-shirt the SEALs wear!

Edit: WHOOPS! steve, ya beat me to it. great minds......... thats all i have to say. hahaha