• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

Shpion1

Contributor
great find

Great find. Heard about them before but never read the full story. Even with SERE training, not sure that I'd be able to do as well as they did, without any training. Even more amazing is the timeframe, 52 through 73. thinking back about the Chinese mentality back then, and the changes that hapened in those two decades while the two were interred. Simply heroes.

jdflyer09

"Shocked that I was an O" ?

Not at all Sir. My nav buddy, a Naval Aviator, shat directly into his pants while squatting with poor technique. He had the trousers all the way down to his ankles as big a target as possible. He was in shock. I asked him "where did you think that was gonna land?"

that story just made my night. :icon_long

Redux

Not exactly POW's but there were two Japanese soldiers STILL hiding in the Philippines until the early or mid 70's. They refused to believe the war was over or that they lost. Once they figured out who was stealing an occasional goat or farm animal Japan had to send in some people to convince them to come out of hiding.

After almost 30 years still serving the Emperor their "back pay" equated to something less than 20 dollars I think! :D

Lawman

None
I find it interesting that the Corps doesnt send more of its helo pilots from what has been said. For the Army its one of the 3 courses you get to do before you even start Aero Med. Hell its what Im currantly sitting in a bubble waiting on (best est February).

Also heed the warnings that Shnugg said about making copies, lots of copies. You are supposed to be able to get a reprint of your original from the school you attended. They (DOD) apparently maintain a master roster in some building somewhere. However one of our cross overs from the Marines will get to redo the suck of SERE-C with the rest of us because 1. our school only accepts originals not xerox's, and 2. The school cant find his paperwork. The guys a tool anyway so nobodys gonna mind watching him get slapped around.

Also a little note of interest we got told to prepair for. Sterelize your myspace, facebook, and anything else you may have out there. The intructors have the internet and they are apparently google gods.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also a little note of interest we got told to prepair for. Sterelize your myspace, facebook, and anything else you may have out there. The intructors have the internet and they are apparently google gods.

If you posted it, it can be found.....even if you "sterilize" it. AW Mod team has serious Googlefu as well (we also know the SERE Zen Master and share tips).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
^ read and heed. This is good advice.

Evading with a SEAL, a Marine helo pilot, and a force-recon dude is one of my favorite memories from SERE. I was like the fat kid: "God dammit you guys... slow down!"

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If you posted it, it can be found.....even if you "sterilize" it. AW Mod team has serious Googlefu as well (we also know the SERE Zen Master and share tips).

Oh great, now I'm going to get tortured with my post history on AW.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I find it interesting that the Corps doesnt send more of its helo pilots from what has been said.

It's not like we don't want to. It's not even a money issue. Like I said before, the Navy owns the school. They fill the slots that they want and we take what's left over. We have to use them as wisely as we can.

Single seat folks who would might go down by themselves 100+ miles behind the lines (with nothing but a pistol) get the priority over multicrew (especially including aircrew) who might go down much closer to the good guys, and potentially with a squad of armed Marines on board. At least they themselves will be better armed.

Anyway, it's not like they've been neglected. There just aren't enough slots.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
After going through SERE, you really do begin to appreciate what these guys have gone through. Hell, we're only in simulated captivity for a short time and it's bad enough, they're doing the real deal for several years never knowing when they're going home, if at all. Certainly puts things in perspective.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
After going through SERE, you really do begin to appreciate what these guys have gone through. Hell, we're only in simulated captivity for a short time and it's bad enough, they're doing the real deal for several years never knowing when they're going home, if at all. Certainly puts things in perspective.

Still digging cactus out of yer knees? Good job getting through!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, thanks. My thigh looked like it took a direct hit with buckshot because it was peppered with punctures. My hand got it the worst, actually.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, thanks. My thigh looked like it took a direct hit with buckshot because it was peppered with punctures. My hand got it the worst, actually.

I had one branch come back at me by the guy in front of me one night. I ended up w/ a cactus needle in me for almost 12 months. Funny how the body is able to pretty much break down anything eventually.