• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I heard a rumor that it may be a good idea to time your start date so that you do not end up in SERE in the dead of winter to avoid frostbite/exposure. Is there any way to actually know when you would be going to SERE based on your OCS start date, or are there too many variables to be sure. Anybody been to SERE in the winter or have any insight on this?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Is there any way to actually know when you would be going to SERE based on your OCS start date, or are there too many variables to be sure.

I'm nowhere near that point (going to SERE, that is), but I can tell you based just on my time waiting around in A-pool, there are way too many variables to do that. I got here in mid September, expecting to start API in November or so. Initially I was told I'd start right before Thanksgiving, then I was told 05 December, then I was told right before Christmas, and most recently, 20 March. So no, there's no accurate way of guessing how long the pipeline will take you to negotiate. Don't bother trying to game the system - if it's even possible, it's not worth the effort. Cross your fingers and let the chips fall where they may....that's kind of a common theme throughout flight school and the Navy, I'm gathering.

I heard a rumor that it may be a good idea to time your start date so that you do not end up in SERE in the dead of winter to avoid frostbite/exposure. Is there any way to actually know when you would be going to SERE based on your OCS start date, or are there too many variables to be sure. Anybody been to SERE in the winter or have any insight on this?
This idea is completely ridiculous and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how flight school works. You will NOT finish any phase of training on the day you're projected to finish (unless you count API, of course).

That said, SERE comes at different times for different folks. Some do it before wings, some do it after, some do it after the FRS, and some manage to get away without doing it at all (namely, a few Marines).

In my case, I've been with my fleet squadron and won't go through SERE for another couple of months.

SERE in Brunswick right now is flat out miserable. The elements alone will leave an unpleasant and lasting memory.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What abra said. Brilliant ideas like that from the "Ensign Urban Myth" and "I overheard this guy in A-Pool saying..." files are common and a frequent source of grief. You simply don't know enough about how the system works to game it like that. Not knocking you - it's just a really complex system with hundreds of variables, of which you can control, maybe, five. You're far more likely to wind up screwing yourself.

The trick in Naval Aviation is not so much learning to game the system, as it is learning to recognize and jump on the good deals fast when they come around.

Mrs Fester and I both did SERE in Brunswick. I went in August, she went in December. It sucks either way, though I have to admit, we had some gorgeous weather for my class.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I'm nowhere near that point (going to SERE, that is), but I can tell you based just on my time waiting around in A-pool, there are way too many variables to do that. I got here in mid September, expecting to start API in November or so. Initially I was told I'd start right before Thanksgiving, then I was told 05 December, then I was told right before Christmas, and most recently, 20 March. So no, there's no accurate way of guessing how long the pipeline will take you to negotiate. Don't bother trying to game the system - if it's even possible, it's not worth the effort. Cross your fingers and let the chips fall where they may....that's kind of a common theme throughout flight school and the Navy, I'm gathering.

Thats what I figured, just trying to clear up the unknown. Sorry to ask noobie questions, I am just trying to peel apart the complex rubberband ball of naval aviation before I am stuck in it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Whoever said that was talking out of their ass and obviously knows less than nothing about SERE.

I went through SERE in the dead of winter, immediately after the worst ice storm in Maine's history. The instructors take great care to make sure that no one suffers from things like frostbite, hypothermia and other serious cold related illnesses. Did it still suck? Yes, but I did note that they did watch us very closely during all phases to make sure we were okay.

Like many flight school rumors, this one has no basis in fact and seems to be entirely geared towards making studs nervous. Trying to time your start date for SERE based on your OCS class date is like trying to piss in the wind. Good luck with it.

LivinMyDream

pilot

Seriously? Let's think for a microsecond... Why would the Navy spend a ton of money to train you to be an aviator only to have you get frostbiten and die of exposure. If you go to SERE in the dead of winter you are provided appropriate gear for your survival. And, as others have said, you will have no control over your start/end dates of any schools, nor will you really have much control of where you end up serving/flying. You will be the Navy's bitch for 6 or 8 years (depending on your type of wings). So let's get this idea of thinking you can actually control any aspect of your life out of your head real quick...

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot

Holy lord, really?.......

I went to SERE in the dead of winter. Was it fun? No, but even if they had SERE school in Hawaii it would still not be fun. No one got frostbite, no one died from exposure. The point isn't to kill you before you get to your fleet squadron, it's to make you more effective should you be shot down.

Figure out how to know when you will go to SERE based on OCS start date and you will have a Nobel prize waiting for you. There's no way for sure way to tell when you will finish OCS based on your start date much less when you will go to SERE.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
Hello all,

I am a SERE instructor in SD, but i went through Brunswick myself before becoming one. The last few post are correct, SERE sucks to go through no matter when you go or what the weather is like. Both schools adjust the gear to suit the weather situation for the specific class. Just like any other school they send you to, there are safeties in place. So even if it is -10 and snowing you will be fine. Just make sure you pay attention when the instructors teach you how to build shelters and all that jazz. SERE isn't fun, but believe me, in most cases, the weather will be the least of your concerns.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
Hello all,
Although it isnt a fix for the lack of slots for marines, Just so you know we have added several extra SERE classes to the sked for 09 and it should continue in the following years because we know we there are alot not getting through due to limited class #'s. And yes we are fantastic with google and finding info on our students, as well as countering gouge situations. We know its out there and we change things constantly because of it. All gouge does is set up an idea in your head that 1. gives people the idea that they dont need to pay attention because they think they know whats going to happen, and 2. completely derails them when its not what they were told. Avoid gouge and you will be better off, i promise.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
All I know is I went through SERE in Nov/Dec in Maine. It was cold, miserable and sucked ass. That is all.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
SERE isn't fun, but believe me, in most cases, the weather will be the least of your concerns.

I actually had fun when I went through. It was cold and wet and that sucked, but being stuck in Brunswick with nothing to do for 2 weeks waiting to class up sucked way more

Bevo16

pilot
I think this is the author's picture:

Queer%20Eye%20For%20the%20Straight%20Guy-3.JPG