• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion)

BullGator

Is the Marine survival school optional for officers? On the military channel they had an episode for Marine Corps survival school, but I think I only saw enlisted guys and I think it said it was optional or volun'told to attend it; I know, too much dang tv for me ;). My train of thought is that more officers go through SERE than the survival school, but wanted to know from guys in the know.

Zissou

Banned
My partner-in-crime was a young Airman SAR swimmer. Before being captured, I had to drop a major deuce. After I was done squatting in front of him, I tried to rip off some of my T-shirt to wipe. That didn't work so well (it kept ripping in tiny strips) so I poured water from my canteen on my hand, and wiped that way. He just shook his head and said "Marines..." I'm sure in the back of his mind he was shocked that I was an O... ;)

"Shocked that I was an O" ?

Not at all Sir. My nav buddy, a Naval Aviator, shat directly into his pants while squatting with poor technique. He had the trousers all the way down to his ankles as big a target as possible. He was in shock. I asked him "where did you think that was gonna land?"

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am surprised, when I was in VQ everyone I knew had gone through SERE, the higher-ups included.

And it was acknowledged that we were at a higher risk since we flew right off 'Indian' territory all of the time. We even went through some extra 'SERE' training on top of what everyone else did. That was hit and miss before PR-32 landed on Hainan but I think it became mandatory afterwards.

Really? Okay, I stand corrected. Bad gouge from sea stories. I did gather that it wasn't until PR-32 that everybody in Naval Air went to SERE, and a buddy of mine went through in '01 with a bunch of senior VQ types...he meant E-6's, I guess?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That makes sense, I had some E6 IPs back in the day who told me they didn't do SERE.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Not at all Sir. My nav buddy, a Naval Aviator, shat directly into his pants while squatting with poor technique. He had the trousers all the way down to his ankles as big a target as possible. He was in shock. I asked him "where did you think that was gonna land?"

That's why the "pole dancer" technique is such a $$ move - drop your drawers, grab a tree, and lean out... :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? Okay, I stand corrected. Bad gouge from sea stories. I did gather that it wasn't until PR-32 that everybody in Naval Air went to SERE, and a buddy of mine went through in '01 with a bunch of senior VQ types...he meant E-6's, I guess?

Probably E-6 guys, I don't remember E-6 the guys I graduated Nav school with going there.

I think it has long been a requirement that all Navy aircrew go to SERE, enforcement has historically been a little spotty for some communities at some times.

ImfromJersey

SERE for students?

A buddy in Corpus said that Marine students waiting in the jet advanced pool, namely in Kingsville, were being sent to SERE school early since there are so many students and the pipeline is so backed up. Can anyone shed some light on this? I figured this might be one of the latest ready room rumors, but considering the Army sends their studs to SERE before primary, I didn't know how far off the ball this might be. If so, what are the odds Navy studs will follow suit, winged or not? Anyone with any more info on this?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A buddy in Corpus said that Marine students waiting in the jet advanced pool, namely in Kingsville, were being sent to SERE school early since there are so many students and the pipeline is so backed up. Can anyone shed some light on this? I figured this might be one of the latest ready room rumors, but considering the Army sends their studs to SERE before primary, I didn't know how far off the ball this might be. If so, what are the odds Navy studs will follow suit, winged or not? Anyone with any more info on this?

I'm sure a Kingsville IP can confirm the actual rumor at hand, but... It's not unheard of. There were several SNFOs in my SERE class that were awaiting Advanced.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Amazing (And Little Known) SERE Story

The other SERE threads posted lately were floating around in the back of my mind when I came across an account of this incident today on the high side. In preparation for my little "A Middle-Aged Reservist Visits SERE School" adventure a couple of years ago, I read up extensively on all the literature available - Nick Rowe's book, McCain's, McNabb's, etc. I thought I had a decent accounting of most of the available stories and incidents, but had never heard of these two poor CIA SOBs who ended up shot down and in a Chinese prison for 20+ years. The account here is an easy read, and the situation, coping strategies, and other details constitute a good refresher for anyone who hasn't been through SERE in a while. The section titled "Insights from Captivity" is particularly worthwhile - "keep the faith" is an enduring theme.

Here's the link, and here's a teaser:

Two CIA Prisoners in China, 1952–73
Extraordinary Fidelity

Beijing’s capture, imprisonment, and eventual release of CIA officers John T. Downey and Richard G. Fecteau is an amazing story that too few know about today. Shot down over Communist China on their first operational mission in 1952, these young men spent the next two decades imprisoned, often in solitary confinement, while their government officially denied they were CIA officers. Fecteau was released in 1971, Downey in 1973. They came home to an America vastly different from the place they had left, but both adjusted surprisingly well and continue to live full lives.

Even though Downey and Fecteau were welcomed back as heroes by the CIA family more than 30 years ago and their story has been covered in open literature—albeit in short and generally flawed accounts— institutional memory regarding these brave officers has dimmed. Their ordeal is not well known among today’s officers, judging by the surprise and wonder CIA historians encounter when relating it in internal lectures and training courses.

(The CIA site says this is public domain and not copyrighted, so I felt OK posting the exact text.)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Incredible. I can't believe this story isn't common knowledge. I mean, I've heard we conducted flights over Red China, and they were probably fairly common during the Korean War, but 19 years is crazy!

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Amazing story. It's amazing how humble and noble these men have been since their release. Thanks!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One of our pilots on the airline went back on AF active duty during a furlough ... that combination of circumstances cost him 7.5 years behind the wire in Hanoi ...

I did not know him prior, but was fortunate enough to fly w/ him several times on the line. Truly a complete gentleman ... unassuming, modest, just the epitome of a guy w/ "quiet courage" ... the kind of guy that you "listen to" when he speaks ...

Wesley D. Scheirman

ws-kad.jpg
Schierman_Wesley_Duanex.jpg