• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2010 Boards

mrkeys25

Hey. I already posted my stats earlier but it was awhile ago. Now that my application is actually submitted, its a bit updated.

19/M/Non-Prior

Applying for BDCP SNA and NFO

School: University of Maryland - College Park
Degree: Aerospace Engineering
G.P.A: 3.5

ASTB: 7/8/8 58

Letters of Recommendation:
Navy O-9: Retired Vice Admiral / Family Friend
Navy O-7: Active Rear Admiral
Navy O-6: Active Captain / Supervisor and Program Manager
Navy O-6: Active Captain / Friend / Co-worker
U.S. Congressman from Pennsylvania / Family Friend
Head of Aerospace Eng. Department at UMD / Academic Advisor
Professor at UMD / Neighbor
(Tried to get an even balance of officers who knew me and personal accounts)

Work Experience:
2 Summers as an Engineering Tech intern at NAS Patuxent River for NAVAIR
Ritas (insignificant, but how bout them gelatis)

Awards and Honors:
Fall 2009 Engineering Deans List.
Advanced Placement (AP) national scholar with distinction
National Honor Society member
Governor’s Scholastic Achievement Award
Academic Excellence in AP Physics
Science department student of the year
four years honor roll
“Best Accompanist” at Maryland State choir performance
certified tae kwon do black belt.
400 hrs+ Community Service Scholar

Extracurriculars and Sports
Physics and Engineering Club (President)
Student Government Association class representative
President of local church teen club
lead keyboard player in “pit” for high school musicals and church teen choir
Varsity Golf (3 years / Captain)
Varsity Baseball (2 years)
Varsity Soccer (1 year)
Varsity Lacrosse (2 years)

Well-written and clear motivational statement (though i don't know how outstanding it will be to the board)

Dunno how much of the last areas factor in, but whatever. Its there if it comes in handy. Im more worried about my ASTB and the fact that I am only going to be a sophomore. I hear its harder to get BDCP the younger you are..

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm from Alaska and just came back for a while after 8 years being in Oregon/California. I'm surprised at the following the Alaska brand beers have. I never had them before, but the Amber and Summer Ale are really good. Saw someone mentioning the Summer Ale in another post. I've since been trying every local beer I can find. Alaskan Red by some tiny brewery was the best by far.

I'm also a fan of Newcastle!

Seafort, sorry you didn't get picked up this time around. Good luck for September. My app is in now, so just time to sit down, wait and plan where I will take my celebratory 6 week trip over seas. Thinking Australia, New Zealand or maybe Thailand or Japan.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
19/M/Non-Prior

Work Experience:

Awards and Honors:
four years honor roll

Varsity Soccer (1 year)

Well-written and clear motivational statement (though i don't know how outstanding it will be to the board)

Dunno how much of the last areas factor in, but whatever. Its there if it comes in handy. Im more worried about my ASTB and the fact that I am only going to be a sophomore. I hear its harder to get BDCP the younger you are..

Ever consider a career in politics? ;)

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
MrKeys, that's an outstanding resume. Just the sort of thing you would expect from political candidates. Hence the comment.

mrkeys25

ah! gotcha. well thank you Seafort and invertedflyer. Lets just hope the boards see it in the same light. Good luck to both of you.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Hey. I already posted my stats earlier but it was awhile ago. Now that my application is actually submitted, its a bit updated.

19/M/Non-Prior

Work Experience:

Awards and Honors:
four years honor roll

Varsity Soccer (1 year)

People like you applying to the board scare me :) Hope there aren't many like you. You must of had a great inspiration from someone at a young age growing up..
You should try for NASA or something... Not that I'm trying to get you off the board or anything ;)

mrkeys25

People like you applying to the board scare me :) Hope there aren't many like you. You must of had a great inspiration from someone at a young age growing up..
You should try for NASA or something... Not that I'm trying to get you off the board or anything ;)

haha i wouldnt be frightened. everytime a post goes up for BDCP SNA, i feel the same way. you never know how the boards are thinking or what they want. everyone has an equal shot and opportunity to be just as competitive as the other. it's all about how you make up for where you lack. you never know what'll happen. just go with the flow i guess and try your best and stick with it. besides. you have a good application yourself. and computer science is no walk in the park. haha.

and my long term plans do actually involve NASA is later years. but you cant get me off these boards because of it :D

aukonak

Posted on the USNavyOCS forum but figured I'd post it here too. Mrkeys here is a tough act to follow.

25/M/Non-prior

SNA, SWO/IW

ASTB: 7/8/8 51

GPA: 3.3 American University, International Relations

LoRs: 7, 2 of which are from aviators, one of those a former NA.
Interviews: 3 O-6, 2 of which are former NA's.

PPL with ~150 hours in a Cessna. Extensive travel experience and volunteer work abroad.

jer

Pro-Rec SWO! (11/24/10)
Hey guys I am new here, but I have been reading the forums the last couple of weeks. I only contacted an officer recruiter about 4 weeks ago asking about applying for OCS, I learned that for what I was interested in (SWO), the app is due today, August 20th. So, I quickly went to meet with, scheduled the OAR, which I took just this Tuesday and worked on all the application forms and paperwork. I happened to get almost everyone to respond to my request for LORs on such short notice, but one of them finally responded to me just yesterday, and it is a work related one. I am hoping she got it in like she said she would, but I don't know if I can put much faith in it. My OR said that I needed that particular reference because I listed that as my most recent job (it was sorta a job, it was a stipend position--albeit a small one that was much more of an extracurricular activity). If she doesn't get in on time, I worry that my application will be no good for the September Boards.

I also worry about the PT, I'm not in the worst shape, but I don't think I am in running shape at all. If I do make it past the Professional Board, and before the Final Selection Board, would you be in big trouble if you couldn't meet the running requirements for satisfactory? I think I could get there in only a little time, as I have been starting to jog, but I worry, if I am selected I won't have time to make the requirement within a few weeks...

Anyways, my numbers:

21 (22 by the time the board meets)/M/no-priors

SWO

OAR: 57 (I decided not to take the rest, as I didn't think I had enough time to study, though for SWO you only need the OAR)

GPA: 3.79 University of California, Irvine; Double Major in Political Science and Criminology, Law & Society; Minor in Psychology
Graduated Cum Laude and member of Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society

LOR: This is what I think will kill me as I didn't have much time and don't have connections to officers, mayors, etc.

6: 3 professors that I was really close to, and 3 work related references

No special licenses

A few leadership positions:
Head of the Judicial Branch (Chair and Chief Justice) of the Student government at UC Irvine
President of a Law Club on campus

Other Activities:
As well as a member of a couple other clubs
Participated in Intramural Sports

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I also worry about the PT, I'm not in the worst shape, but I don't think I am in running shape at all. If I do make it past the Professional Board, and before the Final Selection Board, would you be in big trouble if you couldn't meet the running requirements for satisfactory? I think I could get there in only a little time, as I have been starting to jog, but I worry, if I am selected I won't have time to make the requirement within a few weeks...

If you get a Pro-Rec you have to pass the PRT to get a FS. Good Luck.