• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Sen Tuberville and Appointment Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm with you on your post. Not trying to argue about abortion, instead about the medical care process.

I take issue with the idea that we would have to have some sort of screening system in place before a CO could have orders written so a female member of their command could seek medical care out of state, to make sure she was meeting a state-specific set of rules on where and whether and for what situation they could travel. Who would adjudicate this? A state-assigned unit commissar?

Just females, of course.

Things get interesting when you also apply this to the ANG and ARNG. Can a commander put a soldier or airman on a few days of Title 10 orders? Can they spend state money to send a soldier or airman out of state to get the care they need on Title 32 orders?

I see this becoming a big issue quickly in a few states.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Things get interesting when you also apply this to the ANG and ARNG. Can a commander put a soldier or airman on a few days of Title 10 orders? Can they spend state money to send a soldier or airman out of state to get the care they need on Title 32 orders?

I see this becoming a big issue quickly in a few states.
I'm not a guardsman, but I'd see Title 32 money used like that easily snowballing into a huge partisan shitfight at the state level.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm not a guardsman, but I'd see Title 32 money used like that easily snowballing into a huge partisan shitfight at the state level.
On a related subject, I thought this was interesting:

Court ruling could overturn federal control of the National Guard​

A federal judge suggested that key federal oversight mechanisms are unconstitutional. Now what?​

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

A federal judge suggested that key federal oversight mechanisms are unconstitutional. Now what?​

I think the court decision is rather limited. Even yokels like Abbot aren’t going to “kill the fatted calf” of federally supplied helicopters, vehicles, and gear. I do believe it is time to rework the whole Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard (as well as the AF and their part-timers) by eliminating the reserves and placing them into the “National Guard” with federal control but state immediate access and some limited control such as the selection of Adjutant Generals and other state staff. We really don’t need five land component commands, and five and a half “air forces.”

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's a great way to ensure that federal funding gets reduced in the future for the National Guard, but as long as the current folks don't have to worry about it...who cares?! :rolleyes:

I think the court decision is rather limited. Even yokels like Abbot aren’t going to “kill the fatted calf” of federally supplied helicopters, vehicles, and gear. I do believe it is time to rework the whole Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard (as well as the AF and their part-timers) by eliminating the reserves and placing them into the “National Guard” with federal control but state immediate access and some limited control such as the selection of Adjutant Generals and other state staff. We really don’t need five land component commands, and five and a half “air forces.”

Having dealt with both reserve and National Guard folks periodically through my whole career I would argue the exact opposite needs to happen, with the more combat arms units of the Guard transitioning to the reserves for several reasons.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having dealt with both reserve and National Guard folks periodically through my whole career I would argue the exact opposite needs to happen, with the more combat arms units of the Guard transitioning to the reserves for several reasons.
Except it's a lot easier to use grunts for things like crowd control or post-hurricane relief at the state level than intel weenies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Except it's a lot easier to use grunts for things like crowd control or post-hurricane relief at the state level than intel weenies.
Beat me to it…that and a “National Guard” based system allows for state level access without having to risk political pretty-pleases in the event of an emergency.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Also there is a lot of merit in the flexibility of a Guardsman to be on orders other than title 10. Reservists don't have that option.

There is also merit in having that F-16 unit full of 1000+ hour and decade of service plus folks (not just pilots, but maintenance and ops and everyone else) who can be plugged into just about any job the regular AF needs them to fill when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.