• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Sen Tuberville and Appointment Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

taxi1

pilot
Trying to remember, if I need a medical procedure that is only available at Walter Reed and I am stationed at Kingsville, for example, can I get orders to go there for the procedure?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What IBB said. When the stickers went away, NASNI (for example) sent out a notice to CMCs that everyone still had to have a smog check. Whether that is/was legal is another matter, but CNIC (or CNRSW) was defacto enforcing a state MV law.

Your comment about HI must be a change. When I was there, you had to have either HI tags or an out of state registration sticker in addition to your out of state tags. You'd get pulled over if you didn't have it. How did you obtain your out of state sticker? You had to have a safety inspection.

I was also pulled over at MCBH for not having a safety sticker (it was either stolen or fell off), which again, is enforcing a state law.

I think I remember hearing a couple of years ago they did away with the out-of-state requirement, which at the end of the day, really only affected military. It was sold as a pro-military law change, if I'm remembering correctly.
That was also the gouge here, and it even says on the DMV website that out of state military "should" register with the HI DMV, but we did a little digging and they cannot legally hold anyone that is not a legal resident of the state to that, so in effect, it's a recommendation, and per KPD, they cannot enforce it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trying to remember, if I need a medical procedure that is only available at Walter Reed and I am stationed at Kingsville, for example, can I get orders to go there for the procedure?
Yes

CWO_change

That was also the gouge here, and it even says on the DMV website that out of state military "should" register with the HI DMV, but we did a little digging and they cannot legally hold anyone that is not a legal resident of the state to that, so in effect, it's a recommendation, and per KPD, they cannot enforce it.

Yep. Now I register with the Honolulu DMV only because the annual military registration fee here is much cheaper than my home state registration (by leaps and bounds), but I've known plenty who simply choose not to do so.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Yep. Now I register with the Honolulu DMV only because the annual military registration fee here is much cheaper than my home state registration (by leaps and bounds), but I've known plenty who simply choose not to do so.
Pax River is considered remote and doesn't have much beyond a few fanily care, flight docs, and dentists We can get issued orders and reimbursed for driving to Walter Reed.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Pax River is considered remote and doesn't have much beyond a few fanily care, flight docs, and dentists We can get issued orders and reimbursed for driving to Walter Reed.
Doing the same from Rota to Landstuhl makes for quite the little getaway.

Edit: thread is jacked and I do not care.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The HI DMV is a hot bureaucratic mess whose primary function seems to be placing obstacles in people's way. Worth praising the WA state DMV here, where I was able to get a new driver's license issued in about 10 minutes with zero hassle or unnecessarily complicated documentation requirements.

CWO_change

The HI DMV is a hot bureaucratic mess whose primary function seems to be placing obstacles in people's way. Worth praising the WA state DMV here, where I was able to get a new driver's license issued in about 10 minutes with zero hassle or unnecessarily complicated documentation requirements.
Out on Oahu at least they have satellite city halls on several of the bases, which are open only to CAC holders. I've never had any trouble with the registration process here going this way.

taxi1

pilot
Doing the same from Rota to Landstuhl makes for quite the little getaway.

Edit: thread is jacked and I do not care.
This is the heart of it. Tuberville is trying to block that travel if it involves reproductive care.

Mos

None
I'm pro-life, but confirmations have nothing to do with this, so I hope it backfires on the 'honorable gentleman' from Alabama. Politicians on both sides need to learn to compromise or the best we can hope for is the continued dysfunctional government that we've become used to.

croakerfish

pilot
I hope he gets hit by a bus.
It’s weird that you said that. I went to Auburn when he was head coach and I had a near miss with a pedestrian while pulling out of a drive through. I did an “oh shit” stop then said it again when I saw that it was him! We were doing pretty well in football back then and he was very popular. It probably would have gone pretty bad for me if I’d hit him.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generally speaking, on a military installation, we are required to follow state law. This includes compliance with state environmental laws, cultural resource preservation laws, water quality laws, etc. Case in point, we have an outlying facility that gets water from the county. The water meets federal quality standards, but doesn't meet state standards. The water supply is now deemed non-potable. If the Navy violates state laws, the federal government gets fined. Environmental fines can be significant. Bases have people whose job it is to ensure we're in compliance with all applicable laws.
It would be interesting to ask a lawyer what the case law is behind that, because in a way, it flies in the face of the Supremacy Clause in the Constitution.

My bet would be something to do with the Tenth Amendment, the Federal government having only enumerated powers, and (most of) the police power being generally reserved to the states. But I'm not a lawyer, just an interested amateur.

exNavyOffRec

What IBB said. When the stickers went away, NASNI (for example) sent out a notice to CMCs that everyone still had to have a smog check. Whether that is/was legal is another matter, but CNIC (or CNRSW) was defacto enforcing a state MV law.

Your comment about HI must be a change. When I was there, you had to have either HI tags or an out of state registration sticker in addition to your out of state tags. You'd get pulled over if you didn't have it. How did you obtain your out of state sticker? You had to have a safety inspection.

I was also pulled over at MCBH for not having a safety sticker (it was either stolen or fell off), which again, is enforcing a state law.

I think I remember hearing a couple of years ago they did away with the out-of-state requirement, which at the end of the day, really only affected military. It was sold as a pro-military law change, if I'm remembering correctly.
Years ago I had that issue in WA as they used to do smog checks and the base pass and ID for a few years required everyone to have a emissions test to get a base decal. The problem is I lived outside of the corridor the state required a check, I went to get a check initially and the guy said you live in the area that doesn't need it, base said "no" everyone needs it, back to test facility who gave me a flyer detailing emission testing areas, base said doesn't apply as the base is in an area that requires it so everyone needs to have the test, back to the test facility and they said makes no sense but whatever and I finally got decals. Next year I had to get decals on other car, this time brought emissions test and Pass and ID said I don't need it as I am outside the areas to be tested, fun times.

Status
Not open for further replies.