• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

number9

Contributor
Because of far few movable parts EVs should be cheaper to operate over time as there are fewer parts to wear out or require preventative replacement. But frequently left out of comparisons are the cost of replacing batteries in an EV. Haven't seen the latest numbers, but I have seen creditable numbers a few years ago, that if you used an EV past the cost of battery replacement costs evened out. And the cost of battery replacement was a huge chunk of change many people could not afford to pay for.
In those comparisons, were big-ticket ICE repairs included in the cost too? Engines and transmissions don't last forever...

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't own an EV, but it's too easy for both sides to make comparisons where their side looks great and the other side doesn't. It's like people who argue "Mining lithium is bad for the environment!". Well, yeah it is, but oil extraction isn't exactly clean either..

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In those comparisons, were big-ticket ICE repairs included in the cost too? Engines and transmissions don't last forever...
Properly cared for, an engine and transmission lasts longer than an EV battery pack. And although power and drive train maintenance costs should be lower for an EV, engines and transmissions rarely need to be replaced in their entirety, but battery packs do.

number9

Contributor
Properly cared for, an engine and transmission lasts longer than an EV battery pack. And although power and drive train maintenance costs should be lower for an EV, engines and transmissions rarely need to be replaced in their entirety, but battery packs do.
Well, I suppose it depends on the powertrain in question: there have been loads of horrendous (for owners) recalls over the years... just google engine or transmission class action law suit.

My point is that saying at (hypothetically speaking) a 150,000mi battery pack owes you $x in maintenance but a 150,000mi ICE powertrain owes you $0 is pretty misleading.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point is that saying at (hypothetically speaking) a 150,000mi battery pack owes you $x in maintenance but a 150,000mi ICE powertrain owes you $0 is pretty misleading.
Of course. And ignoring the cost of a battery replacement for everyday maintenance costs right up to that point is misleading as well. Not to speak of how typical use of an EV effects it's battery life and range(heat and ac anyone, hills and cold weather). No one really trusts those EPA numbers on the sticker of a car, but they will believe almost anything they are told about range and battery life.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Aren’t you thinking of Texas?

Nope, he's thinking of California.

Also, California (Among many other states) is increasing fees and the Biden Administration is looking into the feasibility of a per mile road usage tax in order to make up for losses in fuel tax collections.

Well, I suppose it depends on the powertrain in question: there have been loads of horrendous (for owners) recalls over the years... just google engine or transmission class action law suit.

The difference is that most engines are designed to last decades with moderate maintenance at regular intervals. Electric cars require a replacement of the entire battery pack every 5-7 years and I believe the running cost for a Tesla is roughly $20k for the battery pack replacement. Compare that to engine work which is maybe $3-5k or you can get an entirely brand new engine for about $10k. The economy of electric cars just isn't there.

exNavyOffRec

Also, California (Among many other states) is increasing fees and the Biden Administration is looking into the feasibility of a per mile road usage tax in order to make up for losses in fuel tax collections.

The difference is that most engines are designed to last decades with moderate maintenance at regular intervals. Electric cars require a replacement of the entire battery pack every 5-7 years and I believe the running cost for a Tesla is roughly $20k for the battery pack replacement. Compare that to engine work which is maybe $3-5k or you can get an entirely brand new engine for about $10k. The economy of electric cars just isn't there.
I was having a few drinks at the local distillery with one of the regulars and we were talking about the issues with various cars basically what he often sees that needs to be replaced in newer cars, he has worked for Subaru, Toyota, and Nissan over the past several years. I asked if he had worked on any EV's and he had done some basic work but what was said was you don't want to be the owner of an EV if a battery back needs to be replaced.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Decades? Really? That sounds incredibly optimistic. I'll grant you one decade. I drove my first Jeep for 16 years and about 190K miles, and that is WAY longer than most people keep their cars, and very few people are going to spend 10K to put a new engine in an older car... they're just going to buy something else.

Anyway, I read that the Tesla battery, depending on model, is warrantied to last between 100K and 150K miles. Also way longer than most people keep their cars. I'm not saying that battery replacement isn't a consideration for electric car owners, but not nearly to the extent as some of you are claiming.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyway, I read that the Tesla battery, depending on model, is warrantied to last between 100K and 150K miles. Also way longer than most people keep their cars. I'm not saying that battery replacement isn't a consideration for electric car owners, but not nearly to the extent as some of you are claiming.
That would be a good warranty, but someone is going to pay for a new battery or the car becomes disposable relatively early compared to gas cars. True lots of folks get new cars before 150K, but people buy those used and drive them into the ground. There is a market for anything that moves on 4 wheels regardless of condition or appearance. But it has to drive. When we have thousands of EVs timing out their batteries we will see what the economics are with real Iive consumers in the market.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The actual energy is quite a bit cheaper for electricity.

View attachment 36137
Not sure where this person's getting the data from. At roughly $0.50 per kwh, it would cost $50 to "fill" a model S for about 300-350 miles of range in California where the bill is being discussed if not for government subsidies masking the true cost of energy for electric vehicles. Gas prices are wonky now, but when they come down to normal that's no cheaper than any other gasoline fueled sedan that usually gets between $350-400 miles per 12 gal tank.

(not to mention the > $100k price tag to even buy the thing).

NY would do a bit better where the bottom line charge for power is roughly $0.25 per kwh.

Last edited:

Minnesota Tomcat

Turkeybeast
I use battery operated tools in my home and love them. I just don't see battery operated cars being that practical at present for cross country travel. The technology still needs to evolve.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
Not sure where this person's getting the data from. At roughly $0.50 per kwh, it would cost $50 to "fill" a model S for about 300-350 miles of range in California where the bill is being discussed if not for government subsidies masking the true cost of energy for electric vehicles. Gas prices are wonky now, but when they come down to normal that's no cheaper than any other gasoline fueled sedan that usually gets between $350-400 miles per 12 gal tank.

(not to mention the > $100k price tag to even buy the thing).

NY would do a bit better where the bottom line charge for power is roughly $0.25 per kwh.

I paid $.32 per kWh for electricity last month in California. I could have gotten that down lower for an electric car if I did the PG&E “off peak” pricing plan and charged at night.

Just context for actual California energy prices.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I paid $.32 per kWh for electricity last month in California. I could have gotten that down lower for an electric car if I did the PG&E “off peak” pricing plan and charged at night.

Just context for actual California energy prices.
Do you use a different PG&E than this one:

Because you're claiming that you paid lower than their off-peak rate for your total bill, without including any associated taxes and fees, and I don't know how you would stay at tier 1 with an electric vehicle.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
Do you use a different PG&E than this one:

Because you're claiming that you paid lower than their off-peak rate for your total bill, without including any associated taxes and fees, and I don't know how you would stay at tier 1 with an electric vehicle.

My bill was Tier One so it was only $0.32, but in the tiered plan off-peak pricing is only a couple of cents higher.

But what I was referring to was the special program for EVs which gives you an even lower rate if you charge in the middle of night like most people with EVs can do.

0C52F4CA-B85E-4E6B-AB17-FA8873251DBA.png

jmcquate

Contributor
What's not being factored in the cost of driving electric is the mileage tax that we all know is coming. Something has to make up for the lost gas tax revenue.

Last edited:

CAMike

None
Contributor
California already experiences rolling blackouts due to fires and hot days when A/C usage peaks. Currently CA is already operating at a level where power capacity and load is more or less evenly blanched on most days. If anyone believes that Solar and Wind generation can cover the demand for additional electric car charging they are either progressive or delusional or both. That leaves natural gas and nuclear, and in CA both options are considered non-starters. If power generation issues aren't resolved before electric car discussion, the outcome is more frequent and longer blackouts.

Attachments

• Power Newsom CA.jpg
    Power Newsom CA.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8