• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The market didn't push for seatbelts, unleaded gas or airbags either but here we are.
Yeah, but the government didn't offer exhorbitant tax breaks and 'free' gasoline for upgrading to a car with unleaded gas. If people with electric cars had to pay for their energy consumption, it would cost more than gasoline.
A portion of it certainly is.
Quite an astute observation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but the government didn't offer exhorbitant tax breaks and 'free' gasoline for upgrading to a car with unleaded gas. If people with electric cars had to pay for their energy consumption, it would cost more than gasoline.

I accept your apology.

Minnesota Tomcat

Turkeybeast
Electric cars also seem to still be plagued with problems because the technology is too new.

There's an issue with the wheels of the Toyota bZ4X EV. They might fall off.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If one plugs their car in at home they are in fact paying for their energy consumption, as is the case with most folks I know who drive electric cars.

Electric cars also seem to still be plagued with problems because the technology is too new.

There's an issue with the wheels of the Toyota bZ4X EV. They might fall off.

Notwithstanding the numerous recalls of gasoline powered automobiles over the last few decades to include plenty of tire and wheel related ones, you could ask Ford all about those in particular.

number9

Contributor

If you don't think the government subsidizes fossil fuels, I have several bridges to sell you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The actual energy is quite a bit cheaper for electricity.

View attachment 36137
Because of far few movable parts EVs should be cheaper to operate over time as there are fewer parts to wear out or require preventative replacement. But frequently left out of comparisons are the cost of replacing batteries in an EV. Haven't seen the latest numbers, but I have seen creditable numbers a few years ago, that if you used an EV past the cost of battery replacement costs evened out. And the cost of battery replacement was a huge chunk of change many people could not afford to pay for.

taxi1

pilot
But frequently left out of comparisons are the cost of replacing batteries in an EV. Haven't seen the latest numbers, but I have seen creditable numbers a few years ago, that if you used an EV past the cost of battery replacement costs evened out. And the cost of battery replacement was a huge chunk of change many people could not afford to pay for.
Yeah, the battery tech is definitely going to have to evolve.

With the huge move to electric, there’s just too much money to be made by coming up with the next battery chemistry or other storage means. Someone will will get there. This is Model-T early days.