• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the things to consider with electric cars in general and Teslas in particular is insurance. Apparently insurance companies are still trying to figure out what is repairable and what gets written off as a total.

The USAA rep was candid in saying theiy do not yet have sufficient underwriting data on EVs - hence the very high rates. They have communicated that in 5 years rates should approach standard ICE - but as was mentioned even minor damage is sufficient to total a modern EV.

I think some of the high insurance prices are specific to Tesla, I know a few coworkers who've had minor damage to their Teslas but it has cost them quite a bit more than similar cars because Tesla parts/repairs cost far more.

Wonder how high prices will go when electric vehicles are mandated and the supply of lithium, copper, nickel, etc is: a) woefully insufficient and b) the main suppliers are China, Russia, etc. ?

Kind of like relying on Sadia Arabia, Venezuela and other fun spots for oil? Oh, and don't you mean Australia, Chile and Indonesia as the 'main suppliers' of that stuff?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be interested to know why the do only use water, I will ask a few people I know in the fire service.
Because if what wink said is accurate, then cooling is more important than cutting off oxygen. And water is a good coolant and conveniently available to the fire department.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Today 4/26 being National Hemi Day, some views on the 1,025 horspower supercharged V-8 E-85 burning Demon 170, Dodge’s last Hemi muscle car - due to government regulations.

1682533239529.jpeg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Today 4/26 being National Hemi Day, some views on the 1,025 horspower supercharged V-8 E-85 burning Demon 170, Dodge’s last Hemi muscle car - due to government regulations.

View attachment 38030

Ok…I have to say it…I used to live about eight miles from a drag strip. The races were only held twice a year but man I hated those weeks. Even at that distance the noise was too much. I wonder if I’d be able to hear the whir of electric racing engines?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Kind of like relying on Sadia Arabia, Venezuela and other fun spots for oil? Oh, and don't you mean Australia, Chile and Indonesia as the 'main suppliers' of that stuff?
Not really. The inputs and the processing to build electric cars requires much, much more in the way of materials such as cobalt, copper, nickel, etc, all in addition to lithium - at the very same time these same materials are going to be needed for new power plants as the EPA attempts to restrict fossil fuel power plants. These supply chains run through many more countries - in particular a few nations that are more than just unfriendly but are our principle geostrategic competitors. That is in contrast to the large amounts of both hydrocarbons- and the refining capacity- that we currently have here domestically.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I ended up pulling the trigger on a new Model 3 - with the recent Tesla price reductions and tax credit, it made sense - especially after I figured out 240v/30a home charging. I'm sold on the whole thing. Happy to share more - but the whole experience has been great so far - I get its not for everyone - I'm a 50 something empty nester with a long commute and living in a home I own. I'm probably a target demographic. But big thumbs up.

1684029279690.png

number9

Contributor
Looking good Chuck! I think if you ditch those wheel covers the car looks even better.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've had my Model Y for a couple of months now and have worked out a bunch of eccentricities..

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Looking good Chuck! I think if you ditch those wheel covers the car looks even better.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've had my Model Y for a couple of months now and have worked out a bunch of eccentricities..
I like the look of the aluminum cast wheels underneath - but also understand that the wheel cover minimizes drag. Amzn offers a ton of options! Tesla OEM's a nice new center cover as well - $60 bucks!

1684159892431.png

number9

Contributor
I like the look of the aluminum cast wheels underneath - but also understand that the wheel cover minimizes drag. Amzn offers a ton of options! Tesla OEM's a nice new center cover as well - $60 bucks!

View attachment 38126
Oddly enough I think those wheels (without covers) are the best-looking Tesla wheels of all. Unfortunately they don't fit the Model Y, otherwise I would buy a set...

taxi1

pilot
My one great after-market idea is a trailer towable by a Tesla that has enough batteries to get you halfway across the country while carrying a pile of your stuff. Maybe leased. Like a one-way drop rental car.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
My one great after-market idea is a trailer towable by a Tesla that has enough batteries to get you halfway across the country while carrying a pile of your stuff. Maybe leased. Like a one-way drop rental car.
Amazingly, my diesel truck can do that without towing or needing to rent anything… gosh, how backward-thinking of me.

?

Enjoy your EVs, fellas. Just don’t conflate that with “holier than thou” status.