• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

number9

Contributor
A 240V circuit terminating to a NEMA 14-50 outlet will do it. You can use the portable charger..
My garage has its own subpanel which is fed by 220V and has a 100A breaker. There's an existing 14-30 (I think) outlet inside the garage for a compressor, which I no longer use, but I think I might as well get the Tesla charging station and have an electrician install a 40A or 50A circuit on the outside of the garage so I don't need to park inside to charge.

I, like you, haven't been swayed by a pure electric vehicle yet, but one point to note...USAA apparently upped their rates in November. My last renewal was in September, so I missed the increase at the time. I bought a new car in December, and again, missed any rate increase, since I was still under the previous contract (with only a minor increase for the newer vehicle). Fast forward to March and my 6-month premium for 3 cars went up ~57%. No citations or at-fault claims for years.

It's possible there's a bit of a "Florida Man Tax" in there, but just a heads up that even without an electric vehicle, you may see an increase if you haven't already.
I insure with GEICO for the house, two Ducatis, and the existing car (a Hyundai Palisade). The Palisade is about $500/year, and adding a Model Y to that policy is another $1000/year! Are Teslas really that much more expensive to insure? The Palisade and the Y have a basically identical MSRP..

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
ear! Are Teslas really that much more expensive to insure?
Yes. For now. Even minor damage is causing a car to be totaled. As the platforms mature and collision repair solutions become affordable and commoditized, you'll see EV insurance costs come in line with traditional vehicles. What's emerging also is sharing your driving patterns and location/trip data continuously in exchange for lower rates.

number9

Contributor
Yes. For now. Even minor damage is causing a car to be totaled. As the platforms mature and collision repair solutions become affordable and commoditized, you'll see EV insurance costs come in line with traditional vehicles. What's emerging also is sharing your driving patterns and location/trip data continuously in exchange for lower rates.
Thanks for the input. Sharing my data is not going to result in lower rates for me any time soon.. or any time later, for that matter :cool:

exNavyOffRec

My garage has its own subpanel which is fed by 220V and has a 100A breaker. There's an existing 14-30 (I think) outlet inside the garage for a compressor, which I no longer use, but I think I might as well get the Tesla charging station and have an electrician install a 40A or 50A circuit on the outside of the garage so I don't need to park inside to charge.

I insure with GEICO for the house, two Ducatis, and the existing car (a Hyundai Palisade). The Palisade is about $500/year, and adding a Model Y to that policy is another $1000/year! Are Teslas really that much more expensive to insure? The Palisade and the Y have a basically identical MSRP..

The biggest issue is when there is damage or suspected damage to the battery compartment, until the cost of batteries drop substantially the insurance cost will not drop, that was from an auto adjuster.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I wonder when this will become a requirement by auto insurers.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
To say nothing of the proprietary tech and planned obsolescence that comes with it (and the environmental cost of mining materials, but let’s be honest, nobody cares unless it’s oil and gas doing the drilling).
Happened to catch this on NPR a couple of months ago which details the mining conditions, environmental degradation and China’s control of just 1 of the metals required for the transition to electric vehicles. The book, reviewed by the NYT, is entitled “Cobalt Red”.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Happened to catch this on NPR a couple of months ago which details the mining conditions, environmental degradation and China’s control of just 1 of the metals required for the transition to electric vehicles. The book, reviewed by the NYT, is entitled “Cobalt Red”.

Good find. Meanwhile back here in the USA, all the EV owners drink their Fair Trade Certified coffee and brag about how clean they are.

Because if it doesn't pollute in CA or NY, nobody cares.

exNavyOffRec

Good find. Meanwhile back here in the USA, all the EV owners drink their Fair Trade Certified coffee and brag about how clean they are.

Because if it doesn't pollute in CA or NY, nobody cares.
I don't know if this is a recent thing or I just missed it, but now I keep hearing them use the phrase "no tailpipe emissions" vice "zero emission" when referring to EV's.

There was also an article in CA that talked about car fires and how the average amount of water needed to put out an ICE fire is 500 gallons while the average amount of water to put out an EV fire is 12,000 gallons. There has to be a better way to put those fires out.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I don't know if this is a recent thing or I just missed it, but now I keep hearing them use the phrase "no tailpipe emissions" vice "zero emission" when referring to EV's.

There was also an article in CA that talked about car fires and how the average amount of water needed to put out an ICE fire is 500 gallons while the average amount of water to put out an EV fire is 12,000 gallons. There has to be a better way to put those fires out.

Games with words. My argument that hypocritical virtue signaling is part of our political human culture still stands. Also not a recent thing, it's been a thing at least since I started seeing those ugly "CA Access OK" carpool stickers slapped all over hybrids and EVs on the left coast.

Also, shipboard firefighting taught me to NEVER put out an electrical fire with water.

;)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

I'm surprised they use water for the EV fires. I would imagine they're a class D fire and require some kind of chemical to inhibit the oxidation reaction.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Baking soda/Foam

sevenhelmet

pilot
As if existing drawbacks weren’t enough, tech bros might watch you and your family through your Tesla’s built-in cameras. Based on one quote on the article, they evidently think it is their right to do so:

As reported by Reuters last week, one former employee reported seeing "scandalous stuff," including "scenes of intimacy but not nudity," as well as "certain pieces of laundry, certain sexual wellness items... and just private scenes of life that we really were privy to because the car was charging."

OK I get it- people are weird. But in Tesla’s eyes, an owner charging their EV is tantamount to permission to spy on that owner?

Count me out.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm surprised they use water for the EV fires. I would imagine they're a class D fire and require some kind of chemical to inhibit the oxidation reaction.
The airline procedure for laptop (lithium battery) fires relies mostly on water. You can put out the flames with a chemical like foam or dry agent, but it will restart. A lithium battery fire is from thermal runaway. It continues to ignite adjacent cells from heat, not flames. Only way to truly stop it is to cool it down. Water is mot readily available.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The airline procure for laptop (lithium battery) fires relies mostly on water. You can put out the flames with a chemical like foam or dry agent, but it will restart. A lithium battery fire is from thermal runaway. It continues to ignite adjacent cells from heat, not flames. Only way to truly stop it is to cool it down. Water is mot readily available.

or you can just keister it instead