• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
From the NYT today:

Wonder how high prices will go when electric vehicles are mandated and the supply of lithium, copper, nickel, etc is: a) woefully insufficient and b) the main suppliers are China, Russia, etc. ?

As early as next week, the Environmental Protection Agency is expected to propose ambitious greenhouse gas emission standards for cars that are so stringent, they’re designed to ensure that at least half the new vehicles sold in the United States are all-electric by 2030, up from just 5.8 percent today. And the rules could put the nation on track to end sales of new gasoline-powered cars as soon as 2035.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I woudl buy a Tesla Model 3 tomorrow to replace my 4100 lb, 20 MPG, 300K miles 2010 Mercedes SUV if I could. No brainer. Barrier for me is home charging in my condo/attached garage lacks 240V wiring - so no Level 2 charging at home - which is a deal breaker for EV. If you want to own an EV you need home-based level 2 charging. Millions of folks face a similar challenge to adoption.

The 2023 Prius Prime is coming - and thats pretty compelling.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I woudl buy a Tesla Model 3 tomorrow to replace my 4100 lb, 20 MPG, 300K miles 2010 Mercedes SUV if I could. No brainer. Barrier for me is home charging in my condo/attached garage lacks 240V wiring - so no Level 2 charging at home - which is a deal breaker for EV. If you want to own an EV you need home-based level 2 charging. Millions of folks face a similar challenge to adoption.

The 2023 Prius Prime is coming - and thats pretty compelling.
One of the things to consider with electric cars in general and Teslas in particular is insurance. Apparently insurance companies are still trying to figure out what is repairable and what gets written off as a total.

ChuckMK23

pilot
One of the things to consider with electric cars in general and Teslas in particular is insurance. Apparently insurance companies are still trying to figure out what is repairable and what gets written off as a total.

USAA quoted me $1500 per year to insure a new Model 3. I currently pay $590 per year on my Mercedes.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
USAA quoted me $1500 per year to insure a new Model 3. I currently pay $590 per year on my Mercedes.
Ouch. That $1500 is about twice what I spend to insure both of our vehicles now.

So much for those savings on energy.

Sounds like less range, more upfront vehicle cost, double to triple insurance premiums, I have to modify my house wiring to charge it, and little to no vehicle repairability. To say nothing of the proprietary tech and planned obsolescence that comes with it (and the environmental cost of mining materials, but let’s be honest, nobody cares unless it’s oil and gas doing the drilling).

Why would I want an electric vehicle again?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Ouch. That $1500 is about twice what I spend to insure both of our vehicles now.

Sounds like less range, more upfront vehicle cost, double to triple insurance premiums, I have to modify my house wiring to charge it, and little to no vehicle repairability. To say nothing of the proprietary tech and planned obsolescence that comes with it (and the environmental cost of mining materials, but let’s be honest, nobody cares unless it’s oil and gas doing the drilling).

The USAA rep was candid in saying theiy do not yet have sufficient underwriting data on EVs - hence the very high rates. They have communicated that in 5 years rates should approach standard ICE - but as was mentioned even minor damage is sufficient to total a modern EV.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Looks like the Biden administration is going to be even more aggressive - somehow, I believe the Supreme Court will end up weighing in as the end result leans toward making personal transportation too expensive for a lot of people.

number9

Contributor
In other EV news, I recently leased a Model Y Performance. I only really cross-shopped it against the Hyundai Ioniq 5, but the Tesla price cuts made it too good to pass up. The Tesla should arrive in a few weeks, so I need to figure out how best to charge it at home.

This is my first EV so I'm pretty excited.

ChuckMK23

pilot
In other EV news, I recently leased a Model Y Performance. I only really cross-shopped it against the Hyundai Ioniq 5, but the Tesla price cuts made it too good to pass up. The Tesla should arrive in a few weeks, so I need to figure out how best to charge it at home.

This is my first EV so I'm pretty excited.
A 240V circuit terminating to a NEMA 14-50 outlet will do it. You can use the portable charger..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
USAA quoted me $1500 per year to insure a new Model 3

I, like you, haven't been swayed by a pure electric vehicle yet, but one point to note...USAA apparently upped their rates in November. My last renewal was in September, so I missed the increase at the time. I bought a new car in December, and again, missed any rate increase, since I was still under the previous contract (with only a minor increase for the newer vehicle). Fast forward to March and my 6-month premium for 3 cars went up ~57%. No citations or at-fault claims for years.

It's possible there's a bit of a "Florida Man Tax" in there, but just a heads up that even without an electric vehicle, you may see an increase if you haven't already.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Looks like the Biden administration is going to be even more aggressive - somehow, I believe the Supreme Court will end up weighing in as the end result leans toward making personal transportation too expensive for a lot of people.

Of course they are. If the free market doesn’t like their proposed “solution” to the climate crisis (which in my opinion only swaps one type of environmental problem for another), they’ll bloody well force it on everyone.

Side point: I’d love to see a modern day Sherlock Homes-style story where the hero captures words that are visible above the paywall, and uses them to research and deduce stunning conclusions, all without paying a penny of MSM subscription fees.

;)

sevenhelmet

pilot
I, like you, haven't been swayed by a pure electric vehicle yet, but one point to note...USAA apparently upped their rates in November. My last renewal was in September, so I missed the increase at the time. I bought a new car in December, and again, missed any rate increase, since I was still under the previous contract (with only a minor increase for the newer vehicle). Fast forward to March and my 6-month premium for 3 cars went up ~57%. No citations or at-fault claims for years.

It's possible there's a bit of a "Florida Man Tax" in there, but just a heads up that even without an electric vehicle, you may see an increase if you haven't already.
Might be a FL thing. I just checked, since we’re in a renewal month, and our 6 month premiums in Kansas have remained the same.