• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

nodropinufaka

Do you guys not seriously here yourselves?

You keep using single use plastic and at some point you will hit max capacity if millions of others do the same.

Do you want to just keep filling land fills when you could have just used a metal fork instead?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what happens when the landfill fills up?

Then you will decide that you could have not been wasteful?
Almost impossible. About as likely as an Al Gore global warming prediction. I won't quote anything since I don't recall the sources, but about 5 years ago I read up on landfills and was shocked how wrong my assumptions were. It is why I am a fan now, when recycling has proven to be the source of much pollution and economic folly.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you guys not seriously here yourselves?

You keep using single use plastic and at some point you will hit max capacity if millions of others do the same.

Do you want to just keep filling land fills when you could have just used a metal fork instead?
I keep using them when it is appropriate or the only option. If I get take out, have to. I don't carry around a set of cutlery with me. I simply want to have the option and not have smug ignorant people try and shame me.

Why not focus the effort on proper disposal, whether recycling or landfill? After all, littering and improper disposal by commerical entries is ILLEGAL. No harm.if properly disposed of. So, as long as I keep my single use plastic from blowing across the desert or landing on your beach, I should be good. Can we agree on that?

nodropinufaka

Why not focus the effort on proper disposal, whether recycling or landfill? After all, littering and improper disposal by commerical entries is ILLEGAL. No harm.if properly disposed of. So, as long as I keep my single use plastic from blowing across the desert or landing on your beach, I should be good. Can we agree on that?

Why not focus further up the chain and instead of having to use energy or land resources to dispose or recycle just reduce the use of single use plastics.

I am not a greta by any means and use it as well at times. But Hawaii just banned all single use plastics for takeout and so far we haven't had any issues.

SELRES_AMDO

I'm not a fan of plastic for the fact that I see it scattered everywhere every time I go to the beach.

Can we at least all agree that single use plastic is not a good thing? Environmental impact aside, how could something designed to thrown away and made out of plastic be good for the environment? I don't see what is controversial about trying to reduce its use.

nodropinufaka

I'm not a fan of plastic for the fact that I see it scattered everywhere every time I go to the beach.

Can we at least all agree that single use plastic is not a good thing? Environmental impact aside, how could something designed to thrown away and made out of plastic be good for the environment? I don't see what is controversial about trying to reduce its use.
It’s not controversial.

but for most people since the effect doesn’t impact them they don’t care

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not focus further up the chain and instead of having to use energy or land resources to dispose or recycle just reduce the use of single use plastics.

I am not a greta by any means and use it as well at times. But Hawaii just banned all single use plastics for takeout and so far we haven't had any issues.
Until you have wooden sporks floating in with the tide. ;) You are still using energy and resources on the replacement. What will you do with the single use utensils that have replaced plastic? Same options as for plastic, no? Or are you seeing deposits paid on metal reusable forks to be returned for a nickel? Taco Bell installing new dishwashing equipment?

I am OK with HI and other states that have voter support doing those sorts of things. Every state an experiment unto itself that others may learn from. You have to recognize their situation is different than other states. That is why I hate regulation and executive orders from DC. While some problems are nationwide, the solution is not the same for each and every state or city. Moreover, I think we can all agree that the very best solutions rarely come from the Federal regulatory establishment or Congress.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Until you have wooden sporks floating in with the tide. ;) You are still using energy and resources on the replacement. What will you do with the single use utensils that have replaced plastic? Same options as for plastic, no? Or are you seeing deposits paid on metal reusable forks to be returned for a nickel? Taco Bell installing new dishwashing equipment?

I am OK with HI and other states that have voter support doing those sorts of things. Every state an experiment unto itself that others may learn from. You have to recognize their situation is different than other states. That is why I hate regulation and executive orders from DC. While some problems are nationwide, the solution is not the same for each and every state or city. Moreover, I think we can all agree that the very best solutions rarely come from the Federal regulatory establishment or Congress.
I’ll bring up Germany again but a 1€ deposit on a pint glass is much better than drinking out of a solo cup

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ll bring up Germany again but a 1€ deposit on a pint glass is much better than drinking out of a solo cup
I have never been to a pub that sells beer in a solo cup nor have I been to a friend's party where they ask for a $1 deposit on the glass they serve my beer in. I am afraid I am not following you. Previously, you had said all beer bottles in Germany are the same color and require a deposit, like all soda bottles in my youth. Fine. That is legit. So, where does the solo cup come into the equation?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I have never been to a pub that sells beer in a solo cup nor have I been to a friend's party where they ask for a $1 deposit on the glass they serve my beer in. I am afraid I am not following you. Previously, you had said all beer bottles in Germany are the same color and require a deposit, like all soda bottles in my youth. Fine. That is legit. So, where does the solo cup come into the equation?
My bad. I’m talking about at an outdoor festival situation buying drinks from stands

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Im all about deposits if they make sense and are a true deposit. CA fucked that away. Michigan isn't much better.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm sure somebody will invent and market bamboo cutlery and bamboo drinking straws, which wouldn't be a bad thing. You can already buy the toothbrushes. It's small in the big scheme of things but it should be an easy win.

At least with that material if some litterbug tosses them to the side of the road (and they will) then the things won't end up lasting indefinitely- or ending up in the proverbial sea turtle's stomach, constipating it and causing the creature to starve to death.

At the same time, it should also be an easy win just to get people to throw their shit in a trash can and not drop it on the ground like savages.