• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selections

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
KBayDog said:
These go to 81.

Spinal_Tap_05Custom.jpg
"Well, that's one louder, isn't it?"

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I find it interesting that when one is attempting to treat another as an equal using the term "DUDE" on an interent forum the "Dude-ee" gets offended and then proceeds to tell the other individual to "shut the bleep up" thereby committing an offense worse than calling someone a "dude".

Or even worse...DUDE, STFU...what does this have to do with selection? ;)

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Same thing happend to me minus the helo part. But I'm actually glad now that I got Meridian ...

"Hello .......
My name is Spin ......
And I am a Hud Cripple .....
I stayed clean for almost a month in BIs and RIs but it just kept callin me so I went back to her in Fams. Stayed clean again in ANs and IRs for almost a month again .... even when went on the road ..... but strayed right back in FCLPs ........" :D

I think that says it all (hehe)

sniksnak said:
Today at Whiting, a bunch of Marines got J1 to Meridian. One guy actually wanted helos first, K-rock 2nd and got Meridian. Meanwhile, a Navy guy who wanted Meridian got Kingsville. Another Marine got C-130s.

Go figure.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spin said:
Same thing happend to me minus the helo part. But I'm actually glad now that I got Meridian ...

"Hello .......
My name is Spin ......
And I am a Hud Cripple .....
I stayed clean for almost a month in BIs and RIs but it just kept callin me so I went back to her in Fams. Stayed clean again in ANs and IRs for almost a month again .... even when went on the road ..... but strayed right back in FCLPs ........" :D

I think that says it all (hehe)

Everyone becomes a HUD cripple, whether at Meridian, or in the RAG... unless you're a Prowler guy.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
People say HUD cripple like it's a bad thing. Love the HUD. Dig the HUD. Be able to fly without it, but use it all you can.

onedge

pilot
Here's a dumb one: What does the HUD do for you that makes you dependent on it?

Concur with earlier posting, I intend to wear my brown shoes from commissioning day +1. They are authorized and although not yet in API, I am still an SNA (and very proud of it).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The HUd is jsut that, you get all or almost all the information you would get from the insturments below while keeping your head up looking out around you. Some HUDS are better than others, the one on the Snake is kind of primitive really but it is still a great peice of gear, I get heading alt AGL airspeed, groundspeed adn nose atitude all displayed for me as well as all the weapon stuff. Most of the F/W guys get more than that.
I like to use the HUd shooting insturment approaches since it allows more precision in heading control.
IT is easy to get hooked on it but you should be able to function if it goes down.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
If you're good enough to die in the dunker, you're good enough to wear brown shoes.

I just found this to be a repeat comment, but it's still true. Don't sell out to the Shoe Navy.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
onedge said:
Here's a dumb one: What does the HUD do for you that makes you dependent on it?
Probably the biggest contribution that the HUD gives is the velocity vector. Basically it shows where you are physically going. If it is level with the horizon, the you are neither climbing or descending, regardless of airspeed and everything else. Remember how you had to learn which attitudes hold you level for different airspeeds in the T-34 (nose high for slow, nose low for fast, etc)? You don't have to do that anymore. Plus, since you're looking at it and looking outside at the same time, your instrument scan is easier. By the way, if the VV is on a ridgeline, that's where you're going to hit the ridge. Keep an eye on it.

That's a pretty dumbed down version, but you'll see what I mean when you get there.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
The HUd is jsut that, you get all or almost all the information you would get from the insturments below while keeping your head up looking out around you. Some HUDS are better than others, the one on the Snake is kind of primitive really but it is still a great peice of gear, I get heading alt AGL airspeed, groundspeed adn nose atitude all displayed for me as well as all the weapon stuff. Most of the F/W guys get more than that.
I like to use the HUd shooting insturment approaches since it allows more precision in heading control.
IT is easy to get hooked on it but you should be able to function if it goes down.

Do you guys use the HUD AN/AVS 7? in your goggles too?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Flying onspeed (AoA) with the VV and HUD is waaaaaaaay sweeter than on the gauges in the cockpit.

The hud in my GTP (yeah, pontiac) was pretty sweet, and it only had ground speed and comm (radio stations).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
gatordev said:
not wearing it in uniform while in flight school. I've never understood this.
When did this start? We all wore them back in the early 1980s while in flight school.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
skidkid said:
That's how Southwest shoots their Cat III ILSs. The Captain has a HUD and hand flies it - no autoland for them. They are allowed 700 RVR (about 2 football fields) using it. Without the HUD, they are limited to Cat I (1/2 mile vis.).