• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selections

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Could someone explain the whole brown shoe, black shoe and being an ass pirate if you wear a leather jacket thing to me? Thanks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brown shoes have been historically used by aviators. Black shoes by the rest of the Navy. Hence the name "Shoes" when referring to ship/sub guys. In '97 or '98, the uniform regs changed, and all khaki were authorized to wear brown shoes. Most communities still stick to the tradition.

The leather jacket thing has two parts. One, not wearing it in uniform while in flight school. I've never understood this. It's issued, so if it's cold, wear it. The second part is wearing it out in town in civvies. That's pretty lame. I've done it once when back home, but it was also because it was damn cold and it's all I had, plus I took my wings off. However, I wouldn't make a habbit of it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
These go to 81.

Spinal_Tap_05Custom.jpg

KBay, you never fail to disappoint. Good post.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
To each his own. Personally, I think black shoes look stupid.

And whats that saying again, "If your good enough to die in the helo dunker your good enough to wear brown shoes"?

If you DOR or get attrited in flight school, those lost $60 are going to be the least of your worries.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The CO of my NROTC unit (helo guy) ordered all the future SNA's/SNFO's to get brown shoes before our first day as a stashed ensign. I checked into API last friday and myself with 4-5 others were the only ones out of 40 wearing brown shoes.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
The CO of my NROTC unit (helo guy) ordered all the future SNA's/SNFO's to get brown shoes before our first day as a stashed ensign.
Now see, that would piss me off.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Now see, that would piss me off.

Yeah, I'd say at least start API... I wore my blacks to API day-0 (corframs.. no polish necessary), then brown from then on out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
The CO of my NROTC unit (helo guy) ordered all the future SNA's/SNFO's to get brown shoes before our first day as a stashed ensign. I checked into API last friday and myself with 4-5 others were the only ones out of 40 wearing brown shoes.
Then 10% of you got it right.

FVCKIN' A !!! .... if you have a 13XX designator --- WEAR THE BROWN SHOES !!! Jesus ... some of you guys ... :sleep_125

We ALL wore brown shoes with khakis. So did the guys before us. And behind us. I don't remember any STUDs attriting because they sported brown shoes "too early" --- but several did 'cause they couldn't "thread the needle" when the time came .... :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Smurff said:
Francis,
Don't call me dude...and if you are not interested in thread, feel free to shut the F*** up..
why do so many marines have something against the appelation of "dude"?

MasterBates

A4s Forever,

I had my brown shoes on about ~2 hours after being commisioned to got to PSD and get my ID card.

There was all sorts of crazyness about "No Brown Shoes in API" and "No Subdued Patches Until You Solo" etc....

I applied the usual FUBIJAR attitude with the "Ensign Salute" whenever some other unwinged guy got up in my junk about it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Pags said:
why do so many marines have something against the appelation of "dude"?

Dude, it's all about context. Calling a peer "dude" at the club is one thing. Having an air force E-3 call you that at base ops is another.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Harrier Dude said:
Dude, it's all about context. Calling a peer "dude" at the club is one thing. Having an air force E-3 call you that at base ops is another.
well, i understand that. i guess i should have clarified and said, "within the context of this board." i've seen a lot of pre-OCS to pre-API Marines on here use the "don't call me dude" line when folks are trying to act like peers.

FLY_USMC

pilot
gatordev said:
I thought the grades only went up to 80?
Supposedly this guy had the highest score ever?! I guess when there's a curve and you're the farthest right guy, it actually helps you quite a bit. Also heard his raw nss was low 90's, f#$king amazing to me!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I find it interesting that when one is attempting to treat another as an equal using the term "DUDE" on an interent forum the "Dude-ee" gets offended .

Suggestion: then don't call 'em "dude" ... are you-all stoned, or what???

You want to address each other as "equals" on this forum?? And you think "dude" makes you equals (??)

2nd suggestion: why not switch to "geek" or "dweeb" or "dud" (that's close) or ..... "maybe you should be getting laid instead of posting on this internet forum ... " ???

Just and old man tryin' to be helpful ..... :sleep_125