• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection out of Primary/Advanced

Nomar116

pilot
A quality spread used to mean your ranking, if not #1, had no effect on who filled the slots available!

We always put first the needs of the Navy. At least in the current system those needs are met based on the merits of those selecting. It is a much better system.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I personally blame this site, along with others like it, for making young guys think that doing their best will reward them with getting the platform they desire.

Heloanjin

pilot
I personally blame this site, along with others like it, for making young guys think that doing their best will reward them with getting the platform they desire.

I've never seen a post on Airwarriors that said if you work hard the Navy will give you what you want.

Everyone says if you work hard you have a better chance of getting what you want, but the Navy will always consider its needs first.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I don't think its necessarily someone saying the exact words as much as how people read into what has been said on the topic. They might read "Work hard to get the best grades you can, and if you have the grades and a spot is available, it's possible to get what you want" but all that is registered is "Word hard .... have the grades .... get what you want." Others might only see "Work hard ... get what you want."

It's great to have goals but at the end of the day everyone better be damn happy to have the best job in the world.

I know one thing you never see on Airwarriors - an experienced fleet aviator who bitches about what he selected out of primary. And I am willing to bet that it's not just his professionalism, but also that he really likes his job.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I was #1 across the board all squadrons all wings the week I selected out of Primary, so I can say, with 100% certainty, the week I selected, if you were #1, you will get your first choice. Everyone else, not my problem, but if you're reading this and looking for some assurance, it was correct the week I selected. Until I talk face-to-face with someone who can say the exact same as I did, and didn't get their first choice, I will forever tell people if you're #1 you get what you want. Just remember, you may be the #1 male cheerleader, but in the end you're still a male cheerleader, so don't come on here saying you had a 55 in Primary, #1 your selection week in your squadron, and ask why you didn't get your first choice. From what I've read on here, the Navy can really F some people with selection, seems the Marines are a little better at rewarding non-mediocrity.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I was #1 across the board all squadrons all wings the week I selected out of Primary, so I can say, with 100% certainty, the week I selected, if you were #1, you will get your first choice. Everyone else, not my problem, but if you're reading this and looking for some assurance, it was correct the week I selected. Until I talk face-to-face with someone who can say the exact same as I did, and didn't get their first choice, I will forever tell people if you're #1 you get what you want. Just remember, you may be the #1 male cheerleader, but in the end you're still a male cheerleader, so don't come on here saying you had a 55 in Primary, #1 your selection week in your squadron, and ask why you didn't get your first choice. From what I've read on here, the Navy can really F some people with selection, seems the Marines are a little better at rewarding non-mediocrity.

Well now, iddn't THAT speeeecial.. :)

church_lady.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

But why say this when I've repeatedly said in the same threads you've posted in that, at least for a while, this IS NOT universally true anymore. That's from CNATRA. Obviously it's going to swing w/ the needs of the service, but for a while, they could not guarantee this anymore.

And yes, I've seen the #1 guy across the wings not get his first choice during this time period. Again, it's rare, but with the backup in jet land and the increased need for helo guys, policy changed to, well, a lack of policy.

One caveat...my info is about 6-8 months old, so it may have swung back.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Work hard and get what you want. Wings. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

FLY_USMC

pilot
But why say this when I've repeatedly said in the same threads you've posted in that, at least for a while, this IS NOT universally true anymore. That's from CNATRA. Obviously it's going to swing w/ the needs of the service, but for a while, they could not guarantee this anymore.

And yes, I've seen the #1 guy across the wings not get his first choice during this time period. Again, it's rare, but with the backup in jet land and the increased need for helo guys, policy changed to, well, a lack of policy.

One caveat...my info is about 6-8 months old, so it may have swung back.
Good point. My info too is a bit dated now that I think back that it really has been 2 years since I finished Primary. Seems just like yesterday. Work hard, when the Navy F's you, come on to Airwarriors and complain.:)

Clux4

Banned
Of course, it's the American way.

You beat me to it. But very true. This is what happens when a kid has lived all his/her life with the idea that hard work is all that matters in life. If you are not successful, it is because you are not trying hard enough. So there is apparent disconnect when they venture out of Mum and Dad world and face reality.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Ok, let me spell out 2 basic concepts a lot of you don't understand:

(1) Your best may not be as good as somebody else's half-assed effort. Harsh, but true.

(2) The Navy doesn't care if you did your absolute, soul-consuming best or dropped 17 strokes of your handicap in flight school: as long as big Navy fills the slots then they are happy (and no, they don't care which, if any, you occupy).

Seriously, stop sweating this. You will get what you get and it will all be o.k.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really? Most of what I have read on the site has been geared towards the realism that selection is based upon the current "needs" during selection week. If anything, we tend to come down pretty hard on the new poster that declares "jets or nothing else".

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Really? Most of what I have read on the site has been geared towards the realism that selection is based upon the current "needs" during selection week. If anything, we tend to come down pretty hard on the new poster that declares "jets or nothing else".

Certainly, as Webmaster, you must realize that 80% (a made-up stat) of the posts on this site are done by high-school sophomores that have a twinkle in the eye that is Naval/Marine Aviation.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Doesn't studying hard throughout flight school help YOU be a better pilot? Is that not worth it in itself? It seems to me like the folks who sit back and say "ahhh, well I don't want jets cause it's too much work" just don't really get it. You do the work so that you can do your job well later, regardless of platform. Now that I'm @ the VT's, it is funny to hear some of the things people say w/r/t selection, platform and the like. Maybe I'm just a weird case that actually thinks studying this stuff is interesting, but it seems to me like we all should enjoy learning about it. It's a LOT better than engineering school, I will say that much. Just my newbie .02, FWINW :)