• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection Boards For This Upcoming Fiscal Year

DaveB215

What's up everybody, this is my first post. My name is Dave. I'm from Philly and I'm about to graduate with a BS in Information Systems from Penn State. I've seen lot of great information on here and a ton of helpful resources and answered questions about all kinds of things. My recruiter sent me the link to this site and also a few other links to help prepare for the OAR. I'm striving for a Cryptologic Warfare designation. I take my test on December 2nd. I've been trying to find when the next boards will meet so I have an idea when I may know where I stand in regards of my package being looked at. I know I need a minimal 45 to be considered, but I'm obviously focusing more on being mentally prepared and confident rather than just aiming for a specific score. I know 50+ is more of what they're looking for. Any information or tips on the OAR and when boards will look at IWC candidates would be great.

One other thing is I haven't been to MEPS yet. I was wondering if its common, not common, or if there's no pattern on when you attend, either before or after you take the test.

Appreciate any responses greatly, and thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

What's up everybody, this is my first post. My name is Dave. I'm from Philly and I'm about to graduate with a BS in Information Systems from Penn State. I've seen lot of great information on here and a ton of helpful resources and answered questions about all kinds of things. My recruiter sent me the link to this site and also a few other links to help prepare for the OAR. I'm striving for a Cryptologic Warfare designation. I take my test on December 2nd. I've been trying to find when the next boards will meet so I have an idea when I may know where I stand in regards of my package being looked at. I know I need a minimal 45 to be considered, but I'm obviously focusing more on being mentally prepared and confident rather than just aiming for a specific score. I know 50+ is more of what they're looking for. Any information or tips on the OAR and when boards will look at IWC candidates would be great.

One other thing is I haven't been to MEPS yet. I was wondering if its common, not common, or if there's no pattern on when you attend, either before or after you take the test.

Appreciate any responses greatly, and thanks for taking the time to read my post!
for CW they look for high GPA and tech degree, as long as you have a qualifying OAR that is all that matters for that score.

DaveB215

for CW they look for high GPA and tech degree, as long as you have a qualifying OAR that is all that matters for that score.
I have about a 3.2 in Information Systems. But my actual GPA in terms of my actual degree (Info Systems Curriculum) is close to a 4.0. I changed majors. I have also taken Physics (Mechanics), Calc I, and Calc II. I don't know if that would be considered competitive in addition to getting the qualifying score on the OAR. That's what makes me nervous about even being considered for that designation or even other Information Warfare designations.

exNavyOffRec

I have about a 3.2 in Information Systems. But my actual GPA in terms of my actual degree (Info Systems Curriculum) is close to a 4.0. I changed majors. I have also taken Physics (Mechanics), Calc I, and Calc II. I don't know if that would be considered competitive in addition to getting the qualifying score on the OAR. That's what makes me nervous about even being considered for that designation or even other Information Warfare designations.
3.2 isn't bad, they look at the overall GPA, it is worth it to apply

Emb03

Hey there! A little late on finding this thread but wanted to pass along some info. I got picked up for crypt and my degree wasn't in anything IT, and my gpa wasn't killer either at a 3.06. I'd recommend getting a really good score on the oar (50+ easily) and make sure your motivational statement and recommendations are top notch. With what I've read you have credential wise you should have a strong competitive package. If you don't get selected the first time, keep going. Make adjustments and resend to the board, they like to know you're committed. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

Hey there! A little late on finding this thread but wanted to pass along some info. I got picked up for crypt and my degree wasn't in anything IT, and my gpa wasn't killer either at a 3.06. I'd recommend getting a really good score on the oar (50+ easily) and make sure your motivational statement and recommendations are top notch. With what I've read you have credential wise you should have a strong competitive package. If you don't get selected the first time, keep going. Make adjustments and resend to the board, they like to know you're committed. Good luck!

some clarification for you.

1. CW (and IP) looks for STEM degrees not IT degrees (CWE looks for IT degrees), your degree is STEM, historically about 90% of CW and IP selects are STEM

2. just because you were picked up with 3.06 doesn't mean it is the norm, the norm is 3.5, the number of spots for CW jumped and the number of those applying dropped so it was a perfect scenario for those outside the norm trying to get selected.

3. OAR is a way to control the flow of applications, doesn't mean much if anything at a board.

4. If you get past the degree and GPA cut then you can expect them to look at your statement, if recommendation write up doesn't discuss length of time supervised it really doesn't hold much water.

5. The board could care less if it is a person's first time applying or tenth time applying, it is about best qualified, commitment is fine when someone is going to get married but this is a job and they are looking for the best of the group.

NOTE: if a person is AD or a reservist in a IWC rate you have a lot more leniency in the above.

Emb03

some clarification for you.

1. CW (and IP) looks for STEM degrees not IT degrees (CWE looks for IT degrees), your degree is STEM, historically about 90% of CW and IP selects are STEM

2. just because you were picked up with 3.06 doesn't mean it is the norm, the norm is 3.5, the number of spots for CW jumped and the number of those applying dropped so it was a perfect scenario for those outside the norm trying to get selected.

3. OAR is a way to control the flow of applications, doesn't mean much if anything at a board.

4. If you get past the degree and GPA cut then you can expect them to look at your statement, if recommendation write up doesn't discuss length of time supervised it really doesn't hold much water.

5. The board could care less if it is a person's first time applying or tenth time applying, it is about best qualified, commitment is fine when someone is going to get married but this is a job and they are looking for the best of the group.

NOTE: if a person is AD or a reservist in a IWC rate you have a lot more leniency in the above.

While you're entirely correct with all of this, I just wanted to pass on some recent information and words of encouragement and share some stats. I'm sure you understand that point. Thanks for the info though!

exNavyOffRec

While you're entirely correct with all of this, I just wanted to pass on some recent information and words of encouragement and share some stats. I'm sure you understand that point. Thanks for the info though!

I do understand. There are too many recruiters that are of the mindset that it is best to pump up the applicant, I can't tell you how many times I have had a person tell me that their recruiter said they had a great shot and they had a 2.5 GPA, and degree in underwater basket weaving. historically IWC has a 10% to 15% selection rate, that historical rate means that in reality no one has a great chance, just a chance. It is after the board results come out that applicants go "what happened", recruiters need to manage expectations.

I worked with a few recruiters that didn't manage expectations and they were also ones that didn't want to call their candidates that rec'd a pro N, then when they would call the NRD the processors would have me talk to them, when you hear how dejected people are after getting a pro N when they thought they had a "great shot" you learn it is better to be upfront and blunt with applicants.

Just recently I was on the other side of this but the recruiter was straight with me, I was told by a few managers I would be a great fit for a position that opened up as I had already been doing the work the job required, so I applied, it would be a modest promotion. The recruiter was a friend of a friend so I talked to them about what they thought my chances were, he said it was a long shot as they had "a ton" of applicants many of which were going to do a lateral move from one team to another and as such they don't believe they will consider anyone that is not in that current band of the new job.