• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selecting in a week & still unsure...any regrets out there from those already winged?

What do you think smokescreen will end up selecting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Semper fudge you talk the talk, but what are you? a winged aviator, an SNA, a hopeful, or...? how about enlightening us. I and others would like to know who we're talking to.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Michael Webb said:
Ah come on play nice....
Play nice? Muhahaha.... thanks for opchecking the new usergroup entitled "Not Allowed to Change Title"

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Michael Webb said:
I promise I will not continue to be a thorn in webmaster's side
And all is fogiven....

46driver,

You say helos in themselves have proven to be more fun to you... but how do you rate the helo community in general? Would you still pick helos now if you could go back in time all things conisdered? Do you have any experience with which to compare the lifestyle and "feel" of a helo squadron to a prop/jet sqdrn?

Helo's don't seem to have as loyal a following as p3's and jets on this board!

Thanks all for your insights... I guess it will be impossible to find someone on here who would not make the same choice they did if given the chance to be in whatever track they wanted...

I am still up in the air- but one thing I am learning is that everyone will prefer their platform to all others.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think helos have plenty of representation here.

To touch on an earlier post, yes I did have the grades to go jets. Be skeptical if you want. Not everyone wants jets, but a lot of people always assume there's something wrong if you don't choose the glamour route. It like choosing to be a lineman in football rather than a running back. Many people would say that it takes a lot more to be a running back, when in reality it's mostly a different set of skills.

I'm very happy with helos. As far as making a comparison to a jet squadron, I can't, other than to say that when we deploy, we always get a detachment of Harriers assigned to us. My first deployment we had a lot of jerks in our Harrier det. Serious quote from one as he put his Harrier shoulder patch on: "I've got to make sure I don't get mistaken for a helo guy." My second, we got a real good bunch of guys, so I can't draw many conclusions.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
As for not having as much loyalty, notice that most of the posters are candidates and SNA's - its a pretty even break among those who have their wings.

Feel for a helo squadron? I don't know as much about Navy helo squadrons but Marine helo squadrons are pretty tight - its a good time. You will be doing real world missions - as for the fighter boys, how many air to air engagements have we had in the last 10 years, 20 years, 30 years.......Even Vietnam was called "The First Helicopter War."

Knowing what I do now, yes, I would go back and pick the same thing: Helicopters (either 46's or 53E's on the East Coast - the deployments were more fun) After you have moved past your company grade ranks, you will be off doing staff work and such, it doesn't matter if you were a helo bubba or a jet jock.

Transition to the civilian world? Helo jobs are getting better and the airlines are getting worse. I wouldn't recommend either one in today's market. Get your MBA while Tuition Assistance is paying for it, make a bundle of money, and buy your own Pitts and an autogyro to fly for fun.

Two things to think about:
1st) is that if you go helos, you can always come back to Whiting as an IP and scream around the sky doing acrobatics in the T-34 (or the new T-6). If you go jets, you are trapped in fixed wing.

2nd) take a good look at what you like about flying. Do you really LOVE TO FLY? or Do you really LOVE THE CHALLENGE? If you are in the former, you will love being a pilot; if you are in the latter (like me), you get bored after years of flying and need variety in your assignments.

Best of Luck on your choice and let us all know what you picked.

PS: and to follow up on that football analogy: there are 2 of us in here at EUCOM working on Saturday - A Marine F-18 bubba (running back) and me (an offensive lineman). Stereotypes holding true.......

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
phrogdriver said:
...My first deployment we had a lot of jerks in our Harrier det. Serious quote from one as he put his Harrier shoulder patch on: "I've got to make sure I don't get mistaken for a helo guy." ...

yea... all the other helo guys were putting on patches saying, "I've got to make sure I don't get mistaken for a Phrog guy." haha..

46Driver,

Thanks for the great point regarding the distinction between loving the challenge vs. the actual flying. I realize that I am in your boat; I love the challenge more than the flying! Do you think being a helo pilot is dynamic enough to keep my interest?

Also, this is probably not the best point to bring up, but it is a stereotype that people talk about a lot and I can't get it out of my mind. My family (mom & girlfriend) actually mentions it to me a lot. Helos seem like they are just dead weight in the case of a major engine malfunction. While there are obviously procedures that let you walk away from anything that might happen, do your families/friends/spouses worries about this ever really enter your mind or decision making? How do you respond when you hear the old "Anything but helicopters" from your families? I know I am not the only one hearing this b/c my friends say they hear the same from their parents.

Thanks!

46Driver

Flying a helo is a lot of fun - and takes several years to master. By the time you get that down, you will be up for orders and then take that job back in PCola flying fixed wing if you are bored. There are also staff jobs, FAO jobs, etc, which are more mentally challenging - its like the difference between a player and a coach.

As for the engine failure, any helo you will fly in the military (with the exception of the JetRanger) is multi-engine - and the JetRanger (I believe) has the best safety record of any aircraft. The big thing you have to worry about in a helo is the transmission - not the engine. However, as long as you are over land, you can generally find a place to put it down safely.

I never heard "the anything but helicopters" from friends or family. They thought anything flying was pretty cool. The only people who are saying "anything but helicopters" are those who haven't flown them, in particular SNA's who have watched "Top Gun" too many times. Tell them to watch "Apocalypse Now!"

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
What are the job opportunities for Helo pilots after you retire from the military? I know fixed wings have the option to go comerical (sp?), what about helo?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Before, I'd have said that fixed wing was a much bigger money maker. Now I wouldn't. Not because helo pilots are making more, but because everyone else in aviation is making so much less than they used to. However, if you find ways to crosstrain, either in the military or on your own time, you will be in a very sweet position as you leave. So, if you have a respectable number of helo hours, then get that B-billet in T-34s, or even better, C-12/9/21, you will be well set up. Also, if you're waiting 'till retirement to get out, remember that airlines have age limits.

46Driver

SkyWest IS a regional. (they fly Delta Connection, United Express, and possibly some feed for Continental.)

JetBlue has so many applications (I am sure over 10,000 on file) that don't think you can just sit back and wait for them to call you.

There are so many applicants now, that even 2000 hours of T-34C time doesn't help that much - the big guys want multi-engine fixed wing PIC hours.

If you are gonna get out and fly commercially, either A) be retired so you have that steady paycheck coming in or B) be a reservists and supplement you regional airline pay with reserve drills. To show the difference in pay: as a regional first officer (at one of the better regionals), I make about $2300 per month after taxes - and I can double that with military drills thrown in (another 7 days of flying the helo at Whting). As an O-4 with flight pay and COLA (I'm in Europe right now), I am bringing home $6900 a month after taxes.

Staying for 20+ sounds a whole lot better now...

Status
Not open for further replies.