• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selecting in a week & still unsure...any regrets out there from those already winged?

What do you think smokescreen will end up selecting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
two home cycles, that is.

and don't get me started on Aircrews being tight.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hola all,

I'm also not flamming any other community. I am just tired of hearing all the BS about the jet pipeline. How all these guys attrite and only the best guys get here bs. There are guys here that had low 50's out of primary as well as studs wtih 80's. Getting a jet slot is all about timing. Most of the time it doesnt matter how good you are, it matters when you select. Granted there is a NSS cut for jets but come on. As for attrition, I have seen 2 attrites here since last October. 1 guy couldnt land on the boat and the other guy was a French guy who just had a crappy attitude. The pipeline here is long, but that is just because there isnt going to be another pilot in the cockpit with us. It would take just as long for P-3's or helo's if they were single piloted. We dont get the on the job training that the other communities do. As far as other advanced squadron, I had a good friend in vt-35 and he said the IP's were crappy toward the studs. Said it was alot like primary. He said the RAG is a different story, much more laid back. I would also say that if the Navy helo program had the same mission as the Marine helo program it would be much different. There is a difference between hauling mail vs hauling troops and weapons to put on target. No offense to the Navy helo world, but that is why I really didnt want to fly Helo's in the Navy. For those who wanted to fly Navy helo's I just have one thing to say. Thanks. Its nice to know that you guys are around waiting to pick up or cocky butts when we park one in the drink.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Hey Smokescreen, I'll see ya at Tinker in about 10 months :spin_125: Don't worry too much about Vance, it's only 6 months and you can find some good in it.

Dave, saw you gave a vote for the 738 MMA, hope you're right, I'd love to teach webmaster to fly a real jet a few years down the road!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
squeeze said:
Exactly.

Granted, I've only been in a few training commands,

Exactly.........

The biggest grin I ever had on any student was when the Air Force sent over an F-15 Driver to get his helo qual - (I think he was getting all of his quals to go to TPS or something). He loved it - didn't say he would trade but he obviously had a blast flying something entirely different.

As for the Navy helo world, nothing is static. As the threat is more and more "brown water", look for the Navy helos to pick up more "Marine" style missions (insertions of SEALS), carrying Hellfires to deal with enemy Patrol Boats, etc.

Thanks for all of the replies...

I talked to a helo guy tonight (I am trying to talk to as many people as possible in the few days)

He said he, and every other guy he knew out of Primary, had selected jets first choice but was glad he didn't get them in retrospect. He said he thought helos were the way to go because:

1) There are a lot of good things going on in the helo community, like getting new Sierra and Romeo 60's. New weapons capabilities. The mission is expanding.

2) If you end up not liking it for some strange reason, you can come back and instruct in the t-6 and pull 7 g's or even laterally transfer to jets if need be. Everyone he knew with the jet "itch" lost it when they got in the helo.

3) He liked working with a high-quality crew chief and the crew concept of the 60's.

4) He said that helo advanced was not cool. Exactly like primary before he got his "instrument card," which I assume is just some official instrument rating- he said it chilled out after that. BUT he said the RAG was the best, most relaxed, and fun time of his life (HSL 41 in San Diego).

5) He actually said his buddy who went jets felt like there wasn't room for all of the egos there. BUT he also said that flying onto a carrier in a t-45 made life worth living; best moments of his life by far.

6) He said with a family in mind, definitley p3's are the best. Anything that goes to a boat has a longer and more intense work-up cycle according to him. Jets have the most working up to do and hense the lest family time. Of course I don't know if he really knew what he was talking about.

7) He said the big thing is not to stress selection. There are 100% equal ups and downs in every community. He felt like it was perfectly even in terms of the gives-and-takes. He just personally loved flying the helo.

That's about it. Honestly, the things the jet guys on this board have posted are about all my exposure to them. Based on the gouge going around the ready room, I just have this uneasy feeling about Kingsville that I am finding hard to get out of my mind, although it does seem like fun. Who knows what I will end up picking...

Thanks again.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
For one thing, there is no transition pipeline from jets to helos due to the expense. Nobody asks because there isn't an option. Traditionally, there are a few transitions the other way.

You might see some fixed wing to Opsrey transitions.

The thing is, if you go helos chances are you can come back and fly acrobatics in a T-34C. If you go fixed wing, you will stay fixed wing. Nothing wrong with that, but some variety is fun after a few thousand hours. Thankfully, switching back and forth between my airliner and the helo keeps both from getting too dull.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
smoke_screen said:
Based on the gouge going around the ready room, I just have this uneasy feeling about Kingsville that I am finding hard to get out of my mind, although it does seem like fun. Who knows what I will end up picking...

That's not really an issue, b/c K-rok isn't taking any more squids for this FY at this time. Every squid who has selected jets has been sent to Meridian in the past couple months. And I wouldn't worry about "all the egos." There are egos everywhere in the military - it's a repository for type-a personalities. The guys with the huge inflated egos are usually thought of as douchebags by their coworkers too.

46driver
Personally, I would love the opportunity to fly a helo - I keep trying to talk my buddies into getting me a front seat ride in one some day. They look like a lot of fun - a totally different kind of flying ... that, and our missions for them don't suck like the Navy's ;) It was my 2nd choice....sure I woulda been bummed for a bit, but I've never heard anything negative from anyone who selected them. They're just fun to razz on b/c they get so worked up. :icon_tong

S/F

Jester

pilot
Smoke_screen,
I would just go with where your heart leads you. I know that sounds pretty gay, but you don't want to have any regrets about what you do. Granted you don't have much control over what you end up selecting, but still, you'd rather try for something you know you'd love. Initially, I was leaning away from jets just because of the family life, but I knew that if I had the opportunity to select them and didn't I would regret it later on. Regardless of what you select though, you're still getting paid to fly! You can't beat that deal.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I don't think there is a single community or aircraft type in Naval Aviation that you would not have the Time Of Your Life in. Honestly.

Now that said think about your personality versus the type of flying you will do. I think the big picture is the crew concept in Helos and Props. If you want to be the only guy/gal driving the thing - well jets may be the best thing for you. If you want the challenge in working with a crew flown aircraft then that may be for you. I knew people in my first fleet squadron who absolutely loathed flying with a copilot and crewman.

Realize also that I'm guessing 50% of Navalk Aviators soon, or is now,Helo pilots. The consolidation and growth in th Helo community will be huge - and a few of my former compadres who are now CO's - tell me that you will see more Navy helo's involved in operations that actually take them in harms way - a huge departure from the past.

Civillian employment for rotary wing guys has never been better - but when you think of the things that a helicopter is used for, few of these jobs are located in an environment condicive to going home everynight to your wife, kids, and subdivision in the suburbs. The exception being EMS - but as a former EMS pilot myself, knowing that you'll never make over $50k per year is a little daunting. (Although it is single pilot, and single set of controls).

Also - once you have proven yourself worthy of wearing wings you can always transition to another community - or interservice to AF, or Coast Guard after your service obligation is up..the possibilities are endless. Plenty of helo guys are doing fine in the airlines as well.

You're just beginning your career - open doors abound -= don't worry about the small stuff for now.

Sorry everyone...

I had to move to Corpus and it took me awhile to get up and running...

Meaning, of course, that I selected P-3's!

I just heard one too many good things about them by word-of-mouth and ended up putting them first and getting it!

Thanks so much for all of the advice and help. The things that people wrote on this forum really weighed heavily in my decision.

SO... now I naturally am wondering what P-3's are really all about.

What are the options in terms of where I can be stationed?

Jacksonville, Hawaii, Brunswick, and Whidbey, right? Is ROTA still available (I heard they aren't basing p-3's there anymore) ?

How long is the FRS/Rag? 6 months?

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No more Rota probably. VQ-2 will likely be coming back to the states within the year, I have not heard a final destination being decided.

Hi everyone...

AGAIN... THANKS for all of the HELP!! I wish I would have had this forum all the way through so far...

I have a lot more p-3 community specific questions posted on the Advanced board, so if any of the p-3 gurus who helped me here want to take a crack at them... be my guest!

Status
Not open for further replies.