• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice regarding platform

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Why does tilting have such a bad rep? Seems like it'd be cool to fly, watching from the cheap seats.

Logistics makes the world go round…

Part of the complaint is the footprint it takes to deploy them. I’ve heard number from 30-40 ISU-90s for a det of V-22s (3-4 aircraft). While not an apples to apples comparison, we could take three H-60s on deployment with only 18 ISU-90s. That’s not an insignificant difference.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Why does tilting have such a bad rep? Seems like it'd be cool to fly, watching from the cheap seats.

Coming from a skid dude (I come in peace, I swear) - there's a number of structural issues in the community that seem like it would be a little tiresome to spend a long time in. And don't take my word for it - check out the FY21 O-5 command screening:

of the 12 VMMs up for a new CO, a quarter of them are being filled by non-7532s. I spent about two years in composite VMMs between two MEUs, and the common complaint from the senior Capts was the burnout. A HMLA or HMH has the benefit of coming into an established VMM, with required quals already met (or they should be), and with a tighter group of dudes. West Coast dudes will come off that deployment, relax for six months, and then maybe go to Oki for their subsequent deployment. A senior O-3 in a VMM legitimately might do three floats, constantly managing workups in between, and if they start getting quals their reward is probably going to be a fleet to fleet to the opposite coast or to Japan where they'll do it all over again. It's no wonder when restricted ATP changes came out guys started heading for the hills, I don't blame them.

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
I’m a Tilt Marine. I was told to try to think about it kind of like how TBS MOS selection happens. I’m happy with the duty locations available for that platform so you’re right there’s silver lining there.
What was your duty location selection process like? Were you given the chance to pick any station that had tilts or did the MC just tell you what stations had an opening and you picked from amongst those?

PMPT

What was your duty location selection process like? Were you given the chance to pick any station that had tilts or did the MC just tell you what stations had an opening and you picked from amongst those?
like all things in the Marine Corps (knowing well the position of my friend who is a MV-22 guy), do well and you will likely get what you want. However, BPT to get a bad deal due to quality spread etc. the good news is that the overwhelming chances are that you end up W coast or asia. potential to go to new river. some folks wanna go east coast but I personally would not recommend eastern carolina unless you have a pathological hatred of the west coast or non-southern lifestyles.

Edit: getting the short end of the stick is not exclusive to the MV-22 community however.

Last edited:

erk45

pilot
Duty station selection for Tilt seems pretty fair and equitable, I haven't heard of people getting screwed over too badly (usually top 2 choices). It does seem like its more so racked and stacked by grades rather than primary selection. Hawaii and Oki also get closed down every so often because they're full however. For my week we got told what was open and we all picked our first choice locations since our preferences were pretty evenly spread. As always, all about timing...

PMPT

unless they have radically changed it, primary selection is 99% rack and stack. i've literally seen the spreadsheets multiple times at MATSG-22.

PMPT

Guess I'm a part of the 1%!
what happened to ya? the only time they ever made a decision on the basis of factors external to grade was if two people had the same NSS. hopefully they didn't start doing quality spreads etc ...

under previous COs, explicit policy was that #1 gets what they want and that it is then ordered on the basis of grades. maybe it has become more qualitative under the new group CO.

erk45

pilot
what happened to ya? the only time they ever made a decision on the basis of factors external to grade was if two people had the same NSS.
Wanted C130's, then Jets, then Tilt, and there was a Marine who selected that out of a different squadron at TW5 with like a 15 point NSS lower than mine (59 vs 44), same week as me (along with other jet dudes selecting with lower scores than mine as well). I'm winged now and happy to be going to Oki and flying a cool platform and experience things most never get to, but will admit to being a little butthurt that I worked hard to select what I wanted, and some other dude got to be a quality spread selection (according to my then Senior Marine and Onwing)

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Wanted C130's, then Jets, then Tilt, and there was a Marine who selected that out of a different squadron at TW5 with like a 15 point NSS lower than mine (59 vs 44), same week as me (along with other jet dudes selecting with lower scores than mine as well). I'm winged now and happy to be going to Oki and flying a cool platform and experience things most never get to, but will admit to being a little butthurt that I worked hard to select what I wanted, and some other dude got to be a quality spread selection (according to my then Senior Marine and Onwing)
The spread giveth…the spread taketh away.