• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Idon't think anyone will knock you for getting something made by Taurus...
I won't "knock you" for buying a Taurus ... to each to their own ... but:

Taurus in it's early days in the U.S. market was crap and not worth the money. It's like buying a cheap pair of shoes @ KMART or buying one "quality" pair @ Nordstroms.
It WILL cost you less w/the KMART pair -- and they'll be relatively functional -- but which is gonna' last longer and provide more satisfaction??

Their early attempts to copy S&W revolvers and the Beretta 92 were abysmal failures. They HAVE improved over the years, but they are still not up to standard in terms of fit & finish -- spotty at best. Why do you think they cost less ... 'cause they're better??? Their "lifetime" warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on -- unless they mean it takes a "lifetime" to fix the thing. Whose life ... yours or theirs???

Taurus have crap-ola resale value when compared to "pricier" gun manufacturers that tend to hold their values better or, in some cases, actually appreciate in market value. Try finding that in a Taurus ... but if you're happy w/ 'em ... who cares what anyone thinks??

Again, I got mine "early" in the game -- they were crap -- and as a result, I'll never buy another one. Fool me once, fool me twice ....

All the more for you ... :)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Rocket man also had a good suggestion. The Barrett REC7 has good buzz although it is just the slightest bit pricey.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
So what did you buy? I mean, almost 9 hours from the first post should be plenty of time to accomplish the mission, right? Or did you have a super-huge pile of skid-marked undies to wash?

gun.jpg

+1

You got me there!

Zbone8762

agree with A4's. You get what you pay for. Save up and buy Sig, S&W, OR EVEN BETTER - KIMBER. You won't have to get the barrel regrooved - the 1911 is incredible. I smash black from the 25 with it. Sig is good as well (I think the automatic decocking lever on them makes them perfect for inexperienced weapons handlers/ home defense.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I like the CZ made Dan Wesson better than Kimber. That being said Kimber is a fine gun.

LOSLOAR

don't bring your coffee to FOD walk
I spent a little over $400 on my XD and it's better than any Glock (yes, my opinion, but others on here will certainly agree.)

you really think so? I'll agree that the ergonomics are way better, but i don't know about reliability. I've heard from several XD owners that they've had issues with the firing pin malfunctioning etc.

MasterBates

Made it to The Armory.

They had some Sigs that were nice and in my price range..

LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY :icon_rage

I'll hit up Bob's tomorrow.

The Armory's shelves were pretty bare save Taurus 1911s and wheelguns.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
Made it to The Armory.

They had some Sigs that were nice and in my price range..

LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY :icon_rage

I'll hit up Bob's tomorrow.

The Armory's shelves were pretty bare save Taurus 1911s and wheelguns.

Bob's is better anyways with customer service, plus the entire second floor is nothing but ammo! Enjoy!

Phantom Hawk

When I bought my first gun I shot as many as I could before I made a decision. Most ranges have several that you can rent and if you have some buddies with guns, shoot as many of theirs as you can. It really boils down to personal preference. I personally like the M&P line and Sigs. I've seen the M&P 9 for as cheap as about $450 brand new if you look hard enough.

Redux

+1 on what Slammer said. A brand new Ruger Mk III semi-auto pistol with adjustable sights and a bull barrel is well within your current budget. It's just as much fun to go shooting with a $2.00 box of ammo as it is to go shooting with a $20.00 box.

V/R, Spike

+1 what the elderly feller said except I like the Mk1 and 2 better.

One other thing, if you're 21 isn't Pa a concealed carry state without a license? A wheel gun isn't the end of the world either you know.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
+1 on shoot a ton of guns before you buy.

I'm still waiting to hear what the OP wants to use the gun for. What's primary: personal defense or paper-punching?

My picks: Sig P220 for defense
Browning Buckmark for targets

The Ruger Mk's are nice shooters, but god, what a PITA to clean. How the hell many pieces are in there, anyway?!? Probably not best for a first gun, IMHO.

+1 on shoot a ton of guns before you buy.

I'm still waiting to hear what the OP wants to use the gun for. What's primary: personal defense or paper-punching?

Paper punching for the time being but eventually I'd like to be good enough to hit more than a stationary paper target at 10 yards. I'll buy a better one(s) later. For now, just a good beginner gun to learn how to shoot.