• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Seems like most of the quality guns are a thing of the past now and you end up with the dregs of hype and publicity. Unfortunately most of the training and quality of same has gone the same route. ... and then followed a whole bunch of other "stuff" based on experience and training ...
Jesus ... shot in the back 7 times ??? Is that ALL .. ??? Why didn't you MOVE after the first one ... ??? :D

I've been shot (bullet fragments, actually) in the leg and thought that I had a sea story as a result .... I'll just go sit down and be quiet
now ...

But yeah, I think we agree on this subject: the best gun and caliber for concealed carry is the one you can "hit" with and the one you will actually carry (instead of it sitting at home) .... all the rest might be interesting for a discussion, but they're kinda useless for personal protection when it comes right down to it ... the nice thing is you'll most likely never have to use a weapon in defense of life & limb, but it's an insurance policy nevertheless ... :)

I've been exposed to violent, personal crime. The bottom line for me as a result: I'd rather be armed and never use it than not armed and need it.

IF you make the decision to go about armed, know that it is a serious choice:

Be knowledgeable of the law ...
Be trained ...
Be proficient ...
Be smart ...
Be in condition yellow when carrying ... which is probably "always" in today's society, carrying or not ...
Don't go places you wouldn't go to if you WEREN'T armed ...

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
(Of course, I'm no expert, but I've had training from experts.) Does it have to be a revolver? I have a Grendel and it's a nice small gun, although not a revolver, and harder to come by as they don't make them anymore. I have heard the Judge is a great revolver.

(The metal fan is still my weapon of choice.)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Snake
Do you feel you are actually going to have to use the gun? Not being argumentive, just realistic. When I was much younger and bulletproof, I'd opt for the biggest caliber I could conceal on my skinny frame. At that time I was 5'8 /165# of combat READINESS. Went thru a whole gamut of revolvers for hunting, combat, competition, tin cans. When all was said and done, if I could get my hands on one, I'd just stick an old High Standard Sentinel in my pocket loaded with 9 rds of long rifle.
Now some may argue about the stopping power of the ubiquitous .22 and poo-poo its effectivness, but I can guarandamtee you, I can put you in a grave with one. I may end up bleeding but you will be dead.
Now then, I've been shot with .22 Stingers and ended up in the hospital for months and multiple surgeries. But, the guy only shot me in the back 7 times. Takes more than that for a Marine .....
I'd have waited and gone for close up head shots but that is not an option for many. The vast majority of people out there can't shoot a pistol for shit and the discussions of guns makes and models/calibers is great for NG discussions but doesn't hold much water when it comes down to nitty-gritty of killing or stopping people. Too many variables for consideration in real life.
Bottom line is people mostly carry guns to feel safe. A funny side issue is how much more aware they are of the happenings around them and the potential they have to wreak destruction with their favorite shootznbanger that is concealed in their bikini, or sweatshirt, or running shorts, or carried around their neck, or stashed in their crotch, or ???
If that works, great! Avoidance is the best and appropriate action.
A Charter Arms Bulldog in 44Spl is probably the best I can think of in a wheelgun and is a superb stopper if you can shoot it. Goes back to most people can't shoot worth a shit. The little .22 North American Derringer is a great little gun and I can quickly tell you of several instances of people being killed with them. They were close up and personal but the dead guy can't tell the difference!
Seems like most of the quality guns are a thing of the past now and you end up with the dregs of hype and publicity. Unfortunately most of the training and quality of same has gone the same route.
What do you think A4's ? We agree on a lot of the same things and argue on just as many more but I think we both can defend our positions based on experience rather than on myth or magazine BS.
Semper Fi
Rocky - Distinguished Pistol Shot USMC aka Ol Shy & Bashful

Damn. I now picture you as Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

FlyinRock

Ya know, what we see in the movies and what happens in real life is often as different as black and white/day night. I have a lot of respect for Eastwood as an actor etc, but he never did any military time and in my opinion, has little weight in real life when it comes to the violence that military people are faced with. I was appalled at "Heartbreak Ridge" and could easily see why the USMC pulled its support. Full of errors and outright bullshit.
I knew John Milious who produced the Dirty Harry series, had dinner at his house, and had some interesting conversations. John and his wife "Cille" have a serious self defense plan at their house and yet do some of the silly movie stuff for money. Same held true for the movie "Sniper" with Tom Berringer. Another close friend of mine was a technical advisor and he said the hollyweird people tried to distort things so badly he wanted to puke.
Now for the good news .....!! The bad guys often think Hollyweird is the epitome for training films and duplicate that nonsense which makes it easier for the good guys and proper training. Yahoooo and OoooRahhh.
Sad part is the good guys who also believe that bullshit and try to duplicate it?
Will never be a substitute for good training and practice. The ones who win are those with the best training and practice! There is nothing like the real thing to make you wish you had paid more attention or practiced harder.
Semper Fi
Rocky

FlyinRock

May I suggest a visit to WarriorTalk.com and you can chat with any number of people who have a lot of expertise. A No BS forum
Semper Fi
Rocky

MasterBates

It's my birthday. I'm buying a gun.

My mission today is to get a new gun for my birthday. Well, at least after I finish doing laundry.

I'm thinking along a couple lines.

1-New handgun. Sig or XD. I think wheelguns are relatively safe for now.
2-Evil Black Gun. I already have 3. But what's one more?
3-Hunting Rifle. In 30-06

Who can reccomend a good shop in Va Beach/Norfolk for the above. I know I can go to Dicks and Bass Pro, but I'd rather go to a local shop provided they aren't being a-holes about the price or want 9 forms of proof of residency. Since all I have is Orders and ID. That whole living on base thing, you know.

Of course, if there is a gun that I should get that I have not entertained yet, please let me know!

sodajones

Combat Engineer
For pistols, I'd say try out the FNP 40.

Have you considered purchasing a PTR91? It will make your other black rifles jealous.

Redux

Years ago there was something like "Ron Hess" he was a total asshole but he knew weapons and had a good selection of new and used. There was also a pawn shop in Ocean View that was VERY negotiable, Sand Peddlers or something like that.

Do they have a Gander Mountain down there? I like them more than Dicks, much bigger selection and they're all out on the floor to handle.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
#3: If you're looking for a bolt gun, Browning A-Bolt /II is a nice rifle. My dad has one in .30-06 and it's what I used to take my first deer. Be warned though, if you purchase it with the BOSS muzzle brake, sucker is LOUD. I actually suspect the muzzle blast knocked the deer over from 100 yds and I missed.

Oh yeah, and you're buying Japanese with that option.

Redux

#3: If you're looking for a bolt gun, Browning A-Bolt /II is a nice rifle. My dad has one in .30-06 and it's what I used to take my first deer. Be warned though, if you purchase it with the BOSS muzzle brake, sucker is LOUD. I actually suspect the muzzle blast knocked the deer over from 100 yds and I missed.

Oh yeah, and you're buying Japanese with that option.

I have a modern day Browning BAR in 06 that I use as my primary hunter, lightweight, reliable and accurate. Really nice piece.

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
My mission today is to get a new gun for my birthday. Well, at least after I finish doing laundry.

I'm thinking along a couple lines.

1-New handgun. Sig or XD. I think wheelguns are relatively safe for now.
2-Evil Black Gun. I already have 3. But what's one more?
3-Hunting Rifle. In 30-06

Who can reccomend a good shop in Va Beach/Norfolk for the above. I know I can go to Dicks and Bass Pro, but I'd rather go to a local shop provided they aren't being a-holes about the price or want 9 forms of proof of residency. Since all I have is Orders and ID. That whole living on base thing, you know.

Of course, if there is a gun that I should get that I have not entertained yet, please let me know!

For local shops that I use:
Norfolk - Bob's Gun Store on Granby - www.bobsgunshop.com
Norfolk - Marine Exchange, can't go wrong there
VA Beach - A & P near Lynnhaven mall behind TGI Friday
VA Beach - The Armory, www.the-armory.com/

Personally as far as customer service I would go with Bob's

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Jackass said:
It's not black...but oh so sexy.

tommy_lee_jones_u_s_marshals_003.jpg

Vlcsnap-266580.jpg

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol."

FlyinRock

IT DOESN'T MATTER! JUST BUY ONE!
I had over 200 guns in the safe/s at one time but now its less than a dozen. Get whatever makes you happy and enjoy them. You can only shoot one at a time unless you are in Hollywood/weird in which case it doesn't count.
Are you any good with any of the guns you have? hmmmmmm ...
I remember telling my X on her way to the Olympic squad (no shit) that she could never make up for poor marksmanship with gimmicks and to be careful about it.
One that will stay in the house is an old Rem 700ADL in a Brown Glastock, 30/06 with a Leupold 2x7 scope. Still shoots sub minute after 30 years of hunting and abuse. I am hopeful that my son will be able to duplicate my success with it. He also has access to an old Colt 1911A1 that was match tuned many years ago and still shoots master scores if I do my part.
Buy whatever makes you feel good and enjoy it. Chances are you'll change it out after a couple of years anyway. Then when you get to be an old fart like me, you'll pare down the arsenal to what works every time and in my hands. It is a lot of fun along the way.
Semper Fi

1st time at range - first gun ideas?

Yesterday I lost my gun virginity. My parents are total pacifists (ie. guns are the axis of evil) so I never had the opportunity growing up. (Imagine the shock when I told them I was applying to the military). So now naturally I'm hooked. I've actually wanted to buy a personal sidearm for years and I guess now is as good a time as ever. Any suggestions? I'm looking for under $300 if possible. It can be used. Oh yeah and I'm in Pennsylvania if that affects anything law-wise.