• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

FLY_USMC

pilot
I actually just got it sold to BlkPony's son, about a week ago or so. He received it in the mail and I'm glad to say he says it's everything I said it was and more, so that's nice.

As for selling/changing? Hardly....I love 229's...and have a Surefire X300 that I've been just dieing to put on a 226/9 but I don't own one with a rail. So, I figured I'd go out and get one. Hoping to get either one of the new 229's WITHOUT the elite pricetag that include a dovetail and a short reset trigger or a 226 Combat Threaded Barrel. Never in my life would I have a need for a threaded barrel, but when the exchange can get a $1200 MSRP gun for $795 out the door, it's kind of hard to resist. If I do go that route, then I have to find someone to either buy/trade my 229 Crimson Trace Grips for a set of 226 ones.

sickboy

pilot
Shot around a half dozen pistols over the past two weeks... Baretta m9, Glock 19, Glock 22, Walther PPK, Springfield XD-45. Might have been another in there, but I don't remember it.

The Glock 19 (9mm compact) felt really good, but the glock 22 (full size .40) hurt to fire. Of the guns I've fired so far, if I were to buy a weapon for concealed carry, it'd be the Glock 19. But, I have many more to try first.

Favorite full-size pistol by far was the XD-45, which felt extremely smooth and was very comfortable in to hold. Also made me realize that it was the Glock 22, and not me, that was causing my thumb to get bruised.

It's too bad they don't have Colt 1911s to rent at the range here :(.

As has been said above: rent and shoot as many pistols as you can, and make your decision based on what feels best to you. As one of the guys at the range told me, it's like buying a car -- everyone has their own taste.

How was the PPK? I've been thinking about getting one.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hated it. Too dinky, and you need a microscope to see the sights. The upshot is that it kicks like a girl.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I actually just got it sold to BlkPony's son, about a week ago or so. He received it in the mail and I'm glad to say he says it's everything I said it was and more, so that's nice.

As for selling/changing? Hardly....I love 229's...and have a Surefire X300 that I've been just dieing to put on a 226/9 but I don't own one with a rail. So, I figured I'd go out and get one. Hoping to get either one of the new 229's WITHOUT the elite pricetag that include a dovetail and a short reset trigger or a 226 Combat Threaded Barrel. Never in my life would I have a need for a threaded barrel, but when the exchange can get a $1200 MSRP gun for $795 out the door, it's kind of hard to resist. If I do go that route, then I have to find someone to either buy/trade my 229 Crimson Trace Grips for a set of 226 ones.

How do you order guns through the exchange?

FLY_USMC

pilot
The majority of the motivated Marine Corps bases that I've been to have a rifle/handgun section near sporting goods. Unlike the MF'ers at Camp Lejeune, Beaufort seems to actually give good deals. If they don't have something in stock, which they barely do, they can order from their distributor and it'll be there within a week or so. No shipping charges and no tax.

snake020

Contributor
Looking for a small carry revolver

I'm looking to purchase a smaller gun to carry around when the SIG P229 is inconveniently large. From reading around, two I'm interested in are the Ruger SP101 and the S&W 340PD. Any of you guys own or have shot these, or can recommend some other carry pocket revolver?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
SW hammerless models are awesome for a pocket gun. No hammer sticking out makes for no snag while trying to pull it out.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Glock 39 subcompact handgun .45 G.A.P

LENGTH: 160 mm / 6.30 in.

HEIGHT:
106 mm / 4.17 in.

WIDTH:
30 mm / 1.18 in.

BARREL HEIGHT:
32 mm / 1.26 in.

WEIGHT: 548 g / 19.33 oz.

LOADED (~):
718 g / 25.33 oz.

MAG. CAPACITY: Standard: 6

OPTIONAL: 8 / 10

TRIGGER PULL: 2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs.

TRIGGER TRAVEL: 12.5 mm / 0.5 in.

LINE OF SIGHT: 144 mm / 5.67 in.

BARREL LENGTH: 88 mm / 3.46 in.

COST: ~ $455

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 26

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Bubble, I don't think a Glock is what he was asking about. Double-check the thread title.

The Ruger SP101 is a good choice for a small carry REVOLVER. I'm considering getting one as a secondary pistol my wife can use since my .45 XD is way too big for her. I believe Ruger makes a hammerless version as well, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've got a S&W 642 that I throw in my pocket when I don't want to carry a bigger gun. 5 shots of .38SPL, with two reloads in Speedstrips. (I like the strips better, as they stash flatter in a pocket.)

Edit: The 642 is a double action, hammerless, Airweight gun.

Bevo16

pilot
Roger that.. The Glock 39 is small and some people prefer it to the SP101. I'm just throwing it out there. :icon_wink

If you shoot any of the M&P sub-compacts, you will throw your Glock away.

I know this will offend a bunch of hard core Glock worshipers..but side by side, the S&W makes the Glock feel like a clunky piece of shit.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-MP45Compact.htm

There is a good comparison of the S&W to the Glock here. I agree with every point.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

Flugelman

Contributor
I've got a S&W 642 that I throw in my pocket when I don't want to carry a bigger gun. 5 shots of .38SPL, with two reloads in Speedstrips. (I like the strips better, as they stash flatter in a pocket.)

Edit: The 642 is a double action, hammerless, Airweight gun.

I second that. I've got a Model 640 in stainless that is kinda heavy. I like the weight when shooting it, especially with +P .38 or .357 loads, but it is kinda heavy for carry, especially in an ankle rig. I can keep it in the black at 25 yds slow fire or in the torso rapid fire. Smooth action, quality firearm. You would probably prefer the lighter 642 for carry purposes. More info here.