• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
45 GAP. The round of the devil.

Serious or sarcastic?

A nice fella at my old range let me loose a mag of .45 GAP out of one of his glocks and I was impressed. I'd venture to say it was easier to control than an equivalent glock in .40. I've never seriously looked into a 45 GAP, though, figured if I ever go the .45 route I'll start with a 1911.

Phantom Hawk

If you shoot any of the M&P sub-compacts, you will throw your Glock away.

I know this will offend a bunch of hard core Glock worshipers..but side by side, the S&W makes the Glock feel like a clunky piece of shit.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-MP45Compact.htm

There is a good comparison of the S&W to the Glock here. I agree with every point.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

Couldn't agree more. And they are a decent amount smaller than your 229. Probably not quite small enough to be a pocket pistol though.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
.45 Colt and .410 out of the same revolver.

44-410L1side.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
If only my local gun store could keep The Judge in stock!!! I had a stainless version in hand, ready to purchase, and my wife asked me to buy her a .22. Ah well, there's always next month, when they restock, right?

hobiesailor13

pilot
Anybody have experience with the Judge? I've been considering the 3" barrel with the 3" chamber for a car carry handgun but have heard mixed reviews of actual performance so I'm curious if someone actually has one.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
My wife and I went to the range today and she tried out a few guns. The Ruger SP101 was the winning choice- and she's already a good shot with it. I shot it as well and enjoyed the way it handles. I think it has excellent potential as a carry gun, and still enough punch for home defense.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
American Rifleman recently had an article about the judge. Came off as a jack of all trades, master of none. I didn't get a good vibe about it from the article.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One man's opinion & personal preference:

For "deep" hideout or super-concealment, I go w/ a Smith Model 38 or a 438 or a 638 ... Trophy Wife (TW) prefers the Model 42 or 642 ... why?

I like a bobbed hammer of the Model 38's and derivatives in a small frame revolver for ultimate "concealability" mainly because I like the "hammer" option of the 38/638

The Rugers, while well built revolvers, pick up one more round, but there's a price to pay: they're too heavy. You'll believe me if you carry one all day .... the bobbed hammer Ruger SP101 variant is a copy of the Smith & Wesson bobbed hammer models -- nothing to look at here. All you "need" is 5 rounds w/ a possible super-concealed 5 round speed-strip as a reload ... if you're actually involved in a "real gunfight" (which seldom happens in reality) ... you're in deep kimche if armed w/ a snubbie from the get-go ... your best program is to run or kiss your ass goodbye as a last ditch maneuver.

Whoever thinks he/she "needs" a .357 in a snubbie probably hasn't shot one very much -- it's painful and blinding in a dark scenario. It's too much cartridge for too little net gain in a lightweight, short barreled, concealable revolver ... there's been hardware problems w/ the latest .357 "light" snubbies, too. Specifically, the S&W 340PD that the OP asked about ...

Again, it's always each to his own ....

Just my $20 worth ...
:)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I almost bought a Judge as a bedside gun and sometime carry piece.

I was there in the Sharp Shooter ready to go when two guys brought in theirs. Both had same problem: barrel just fell off.:eek::eek:

Apparently this is not an uncommon problem in the Judge and with Taurus in general, as many Raging Bull owners have complained of same on the online Taurus boards.

Nooooo thanks.

Somebody else will make one next year and get it right. I'll wait.

FTR- Shot the 642 a few weeks back. Seemed nice enough for a little bitty gun. I found the grips wayyyy too small for my hands and had to basically hook the trigger with my 2nd knuckle to shoot it.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The judge looks like fun, but for purely home defense, I think you're better off just getting a 12 gauge shotgun and keeping it under the bed. Now concealed carry on the other hand...

FlyinRock

Snake
Do you feel you are actually going to have to use the gun? Not being argumentive, just realistic. When I was much younger and bulletproof, I'd opt for the biggest caliber I could conceal on my skinny frame. At that time I was 5'8 /165# of combat READINESS. Went thru a whole gamut of revolvers for hunting, combat, competition, tin cans. When all was said and done, if I could get my hands on one, I'd just stick an old High Standard Sentinel in my pocket loaded with 9 rds of long rifle.
Now some may argue about the stopping power of the ubiquitous .22 and poo-poo its effectivness, but I can guarandamtee you, I can put you in a grave with one. I may end up bleeding but you will be dead.
Now then, I've been shot with .22 Stingers and ended up in the hospital for months and multiple surgeries. But, the guy only shot me in the back 7 times. Takes more than that for a Marine .....
I'd have waited and gone for close up head shots but that is not an option for many. The vast majority of people out there can't shoot a pistol for shit and the discussions of guns makes and models/calibers is great for NG discussions but doesn't hold much water when it comes down to nitty-gritty of killing or stopping people. Too many variables for consideration in real life.
Bottom line is people mostly carry guns to feel safe. A funny side issue is how much more aware they are of the happenings around them and the potential they have to wreak destruction with their favorite shootznbanger that is concealed in their bikini, or sweatshirt, or running shorts, or carried around their neck, or stashed in their crotch, or ???
If that works, great! Avoidance is the best and appropriate action.
A Charter Arms Bulldog in 44Spl is probably the best I can think of in a wheelgun and is a superb stopper if you can shoot it. Goes back to most people can't shoot worth a shit. The little .22 North American Derringer is a great little gun and I can quickly tell you of several instances of people being killed with them. They were close up and personal but the dead guy can't tell the difference!
Seems like most of the quality guns are a thing of the past now and you end up with the dregs of hype and publicity. Unfortunately most of the training and quality of same has gone the same route.
What do you think A4's ? We agree on a lot of the same things and argue on just as many more but I think we both can defend our positions based on experience rather than on myth or magazine BS.
Semper Fi
Rocky - Distinguished Pistol Shot USMC aka Ol Shy & Bashful