• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
If you already have one AR-15, buy another. THEN send your old (or new one... im not picky) to me. I'll pm you my address.

BUT... if you're going to be stingy and hog all the toys to yourself, I would go with the Springfield. :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll give you an off-the-wall suggestion. Just for kicks, look into a Romanian PSL. InterOrdnance and Century are importing them; it's essentially an AK on steroids firing 7.62x54 or .308. Confusable with the Dragunov, but it's about $1500 cheaper.

Downside is it's typical, combloc construction (stamped steel, rough machining), and I've heard that quality control is spotty, so you might get a lemon. That said, I have one that shot a 2 MOA 8-round group with cheapass Bulgarian surplus (I plead operator error for dorking away the other 2 in the magazine). It shot a 1 MOA 3-shot group with better Serbian stuff. I imagine one chambered for 7.62 NATO might do better with no-kidding match ammo.

They seem to be running about $800-900 in the current gun buying panic. If you want an ultra-precise tack driver, it's not that, but it's "accurate enough" and fun to shoot. Fire control group is interchangable with the AK if you want to add a better trigger, and there are plenty of surplus Russian optics as it uses the same scope rail as the SVD. It does come with a 4x scope.

http://www.dragunov.net/owners/GySgt_Scott_psl_sm.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
A4's has it spot on. Get a classic M1A/M14. Stay away from the SOCOM or any short-barreled variants.

Is it just me, or do the iron sights on that "Loaded" M1A look like they're as useless as tits on a bull? It may be the picture, but it looks to me like the high speed/low drag quad rail blocks them.

Bevo16

pilot
A'4's posted a sexy pic.

I respect your opinion on the matter, and the picture is worth 1000 words. Can you hammer some of the words out for me though? :)

Does the length of the barrel of the SOCOMII give you pause?

Can I modify the one you put the picture of with a stock that will scare the pants off of liberals? I am going to stick with iron sights on my AR, but I am going to go with a high quality optic for this one. That stock does not look like it would take an off the shelf optic.

Please drop some knowledge on me.

Kazimake

I respect your opinion on the matter, and the picture is worth 1000 words. Can you hammer some of the words out for me though? :)

Does the length of the barrel of the SOCOMII give you pause?

Can I modify the one you put the picture of with a stock that will scare the pants off of liberals? I am going to stick with iron sights on my AR, but I am going to go with a high quality optic for this one. That stock does not look like it would take an off the shelf optic.

Please drop some knowledge on me.

You can get scope mounts for the m1a that attach to the receiver, so no worries about the stock (if that's your only issue).

http://www.impactguns.com/store/leatherwood_m1a_mount.html

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Bevo,

I got two of the models confused when I was telling you about the loaded. Im with A4s on this one, I would push you towards the M1A standard, or if you want a little more accuracy and have extra money to throw around maybe the M1A National match.

I like the fiberglass stock and thats only available on the Standard. The Loaded is a little too tacti-cool for my taste, and its probably not worth the extra money to have all the rails. Also the Standard and National Match have a classic look that you have to love. If you go with wood furniture you get an even more classic look.

The rails really dont add much as far as functionality (you can put a scope and bi-pod on any of these guns), and if you want a shorter barrel you may want to consider the scout squad model.

My mistake.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'll have to go with the majority here. My standard M1A is one of my favorite long guns of all time. You can trick a standard out later easy enough. There are several different SOCOM type aftermarket stocks for example.

My first and maybe only add-on would probably be a forward mount from Ultimak. I don't have one on my M1A but use one on an AK to mount a T-1 Micro. They are easy to install, maintain zero and don't ruin the classic M1A lines.

Get it here if you want. http://www.ultimak.com/M8.htm

Here is a pic by Oleg Volk of an M1A with an Ultimak mounted Aimpoint. You can use it to justify an extra $199.00 to your wife. See how uber cool a lady looks with an M1A !!!

longlegs0167.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Here is a pic by Oleg Volk of an M1A with an Ultimak mounted Aimpoint. You can use it to justify an extra $199.00 to your wife. See how uber cool a lady looks with an M1A !!!

longlegs0167.jpg

I'd love to watch her shoot that bad boy in those heels from that position...:eek::D

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm going to go against the grain here and say go with the AR-10. If/when there's another AW ban, a pre-ban AR-10 would surely skyrocket in price. Not to mention as I'm sure you know the AR lower would give you endless possibilities of uppers on the same rifle. When it comes down to it an evil looking AR-10 is far more likely to be banned than a more classic wooden stocked M1A. I personally like the M1A and would be inclined to chose that one, but with the current political climate I would go with the AR with the thought that it might soon be banned (with evil features) and I could still buy an M1A (although possibly without a bayo lug). And you could always mod it into a mk11 mod 0 clone...

SR-25_pic01.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Bevo, that is what's great about the M1A---there is a lot of aftermarket support for it. The reason I say to start with a classic walnut stock full length M1A is because you'll have a very classic weapon that you can easily turn into this with a quick stock change...

The M14 EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle)
M14EBR2-1.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any good places to pick up a 'classic' M1A/M14, if the local shops don't carry them? And just how much would it set one back?