• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Sorry to bring this thread back, but what can you gentlemen advise on CMP Field Grade vs. CMP Service Grade? Is the extra $100 really worth it for the Service Grade? I'm just looking for a solid Garand to take to the range. As long as it doesn't look like ass and isn't shot out, I'll be happy. Thanks!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry to bring this thread back, but what can you gentlemen advise on CMP Field Grade vs. CMP Service Grade? Is the extra $100 really worth it for the Service Grade? I'm just looking for a solid Garand to take to the range. As long as it doesn't look like ass and isn't shot out, I'll be happy. Thanks!

I think you are getting a quality product all the way down to the Rack Grade level. Check out the CMP forums and get their feedback. I've gathered from the Glocktalk forum that people are usually VERY satisfied with their purchases, regardless of the grade. Even some Rack Grades are in very nice condition. Read the definition of the conditions on the site, a Racker can still be a good shooter. I think you will be getting a new stock on the Garand, regardless of the grade.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Stop thinking and shell out the coin! :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Stop thinking and shell out the coin! :)

Yeah, he's right. Actually, if you are a single ENS in A pool....you should be the CORRECT grade and get a kick ass rifle.

Or spend the same money, get a Service Grade M1 Garand and a Service grade M1 Carbine from Inland. They put out beautiful Carbines, might as well get both!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Awesome, thanks! I was initially saving up for a nice M1A (my dream rifle) but I figured I would score a nice piece of military history before they dry up. I doubt SA will stop making the M1A any time soon.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Awesome, thanks! I was initially saving up for a nice M1A (my dream rifle) but I figured I would score a nice piece of military history before they dry up. I doubt SA will stop making the M1A any time soon.

Like I said, for the price of an M1A from SA....you can buy an M1 Garand AND an M1 Carbine from CMP. It's worth it, trust me.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Like I said, for the price of an M1A from SA....you can buy an M1 Garand AND an M1 Carbine from CMP. It's worth it, trust me.
Ditto ... and if you do -- you will have a little piece of history which is not the case if you "spring" for the "Spring"field commercial variant of the M-14, a.k.a. the M1A. It's a fine weapon ... but ... :)

Parts for the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine are readily available, so if anything is a little "weak", it's easy to replace and bring it up to "armory standard". If it's in need of TLC, then it's probably NOT a "collectible", so it's O.K. to replace parts and make it into a viable and fun "shooter" ...

FlyinRock

Haven't had any dealings with CMP for a while now but when I did, it was a crap shoot no matter what you selected or paid for. I ended up with a National Match that was still capable of shooting master class scores and I sure didn't pay anything extra for it.
At a recent gunshow on the guff coast, I didn't see ANY M-1's with a price tag below $1000. talk about sticker shock? And the clips were going for about a buck each. (and they looked like they had been buried someplace) Clips are the weak point just as magazines are the weakest point of semi-auto pistols. Unless of course you are into single shot guns?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Does DPMS make an AR that shoots it? What about mags? Or do you have to buy one of those spaceguns to shoot 6.5 creedmoor?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't have a rifle but I have shot 6.5 Creedmor, it's a good little round. I didn't shoot a whole lot of it, but I liked it. I shot it out of one of the space guns, and it handles well.

From what I understand. Creedmor and Hornady put a lot of effort into this specifically for the long range shooter. The only downside is I think the ammo is pretty pricey.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you're looking for something that is in the AR-15 family, I'd look at 6.5 Grendel first. Grendel is designed to fit in 5.56mm AR mag wells, while the Creedmoor's extra length requires a .308 size mag well. The Creedmoor looks like it has more potential than the Grendel, but if you want to go with an AR-15 platform, Grendel is probably your best bet.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
The DNR had a nice outdoor range down in Mason. Check their website. That is where I shot when @ MSU.

I can't find any ranges in MI that will allow me to rent weapons to try practice shoot. All I see are gun clubs that you have to be a member of.

Is there anywhere you can just go, pay monies, rent a weapon and shoot (and/or take lessons).

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I've got a very nice Sig P229 DA/SA .40 Non-Railed I'll sell you. Shoots very very well and I won't break your bank since I'm looking to upgrade.

I think my dad, a police officer, carries this (w/ rail) as his duty weapon. I have shot it a few times and love it!!! Looking to sell, eh?